Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1 person serving F

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
I had a slightly different variation going to Mumbai last week.

CSD comes over to introduce and mentions they have no F trained crew on board and so she'd be serving the cabin herself. She did have another crew member who was helping but presumably he normally would be there.

Both were perfectly fine and I wouldn't have noticed if she hadn't said anything, but then we were only 3/8 and I don't have high expectations on BA in the first place!
Old Aug 14, 2017, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
How appalling. You come into work when you could be on strike and instead of at least supporting you by managing customer expectations in advance (remember no duty free, cold meals and restricted bar in Traveller during previous IA), BA throw you in at the deep end! Customers may not know why service is so slow, which just generates complaints, stress and not a great working environment. All so easily avoided.

I don't know if they still have the performance dashboard or whatever it's called which rates Crew based on customer (and possibly sccm / peer) feedback but I'd hope too few crew is factored in. If people miss out on a bonus or promotion because of complaints in this kind of situation then that would just be the icing on the cake!
I'm sure all performance dashboard figures have been dropped, as long as you have a pulse they are just happy to have crew/volunteers on board.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 12:27 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by rapidex
I'm not accepting this.I haven't done a long haul flight with BA since the strikes started in earnest.
I've done 9 First sectors during strike dates and all those flights were very good to excellent, with a full compliment of crew.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by flygirl68
Sorry for the (possibly) stupid question. For people flying with BA during the industrial action, have BA warned you about a possible reduction of service during these times?
Hi,

Generally not before hand but we were advised after boarding our flights that there was a reduced crew complement on board.
I'm not sure if it was posted on BA.com ( the 2 current announcements on ba.com make no mention of this)

Regards

TBS
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 12:51 pm

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I've done 9 First sectors during strike dates and all those flights were very good to excellent, with a full compliment of crew.
Yes, I'm sure they were highly complimentary - and in terms of numbers?
Old Aug 14, 2017, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Very fortunate for you - but would you be expecting compensation if you were on OP's flight?
Old Aug 14, 2017, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Yes, I'm sure they were highly complimentary - and in terms of numbers?
Hahaha, well noted

I really should turn off that bloody auto-correct, it's got me in to a great deal of trouble.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by 710 77345
Very fortunate for you - but would you be expecting compensation if you were on OP's flight?
I would likely be complaining for the shortage of crew, whether I'm entitled to compensation or not is not clear from the OP.

I share this view:

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It's very difficult to make a call on this given the lack of detail. For example, if you had to wait a few minutes longer for your meal, or for the bed to be made up, then it's not much of a devaluation on the First concept in my view. If there were huge waits between service, it took a long time between drink refills, you had to make up the bed yourself, then that plainly isn't the First service you would have expected. I guess the acid test is would you have paid or redeemed into First had you known you would have got that level of service, or not?

The point I often make about this situation is that there are two sides that decide what is appropriate to fixing customer service issues: BA and the customer. If BA doesn't offer the appropriate remedy - sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't - you, as the customer remain free to set you own remedy and then use the several channels open to you to pursue it.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 3:31 pm

Programs: BA Ex Club Gold, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Diamond, Avis Presidents Circle
We had something similar on the BA275 on 2nd Aug to LAS. The F cabin was full (14). There were 2 crew members dealing with the cabin. One preparing and one serving. Took just under 3 hours from takeoff to finish the lunch service. The crew were good in that they were really trying to perform but it was certainly not as good as I would have expected. I had a chat with one of them about 6.5 hrs in in the galley about the whole strike / way BA is going etc and you could see that she was really affected moral wise by the whole situation. She said that she had just done a SJC return, again short crewed and was looking forward to their one night rest stop in Las Vegas to catch up with sleep! I actually at the end of the flight gave her my Golden ticket because she was really trying to do a good job. She kept apologising saying sorry that the service was taking so long etc.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 4:06 pm

From what I can see here from reports,some flights are going out fully crewed,some not.It is not possible to ascertain the ratio of "normal crew" to "less crew"

BA is selling all flights for the same price,even though they know some will be better served than others.

On flights with "less crew"BA is saving the salary of 1 crew member,and presumably the cost of a hotel room,plus meal allowances.Where is this financial saving going.Perhaps into AC's bonus.

Perhaps this is why BA has no interest in resolving the dispute.As long as the customers keep paying for lesser service BA is laughing all the way to the bank.
710 77345 and KeaneJohn like this.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 4:14 pm

Programs: BA Ex Club Gold, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Diamond, Avis Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by rapidex
From what I can see here from reports,some flights are going out fully crewed,some not.It is not possible to ascertain the ratio of "normal crew" to "less crew"

BA is selling all flights for the same price,even though they know some will be better served than others.

On flights with "less crew"BA is saving the salary of 1 crew member,and presumably the cost of a hotel room,plus meal allowances.Where is this financial saving going.Perhaps into AC's bonus.

Perhaps this is why BA has no interest in resolving the dispute.As long as the customers keep paying for lesser service BA is laughing all the way to the bank.
I think you are right. We were using a amex 241 out in F and back in CW on the (later cancelled) flight back on 6th. I checked a couple of days before and a dummy booking came back with a price of Ł22000 for the two of us! I really would have been peeved to have received the service, a roasting hot cabin whilst waiting to take off because a/c not working properly, and the crappy entertainment system.(Incidently, the same booking from Dublin was €10000, but that's a different story!)

I did comment to the crew that whilst they were going out of their way to try and provide a good service with less crew, I thought that actually they were setting themselves up for a potential permanent reduction in crew on board when it comes to the next round of cost cuttings. Sadly, she agreed that yes, the Snr mgt would probably see that as an opportunity
Old Aug 14, 2017, 9:13 pm

I had somewhat of a different experience several years ago on a BA 747.

I was the *only* passenger in first class and 1 flight attendant served me during the entire 12-hour flight. (well, not sure if another flight attendant watched over me when I slept about 6 hours during the flight)

It was truly the best flight experience I've ever had in my life. When I boarded, she said "You are the only passenger today!" and I wasn't sure what she meant because I saw lots of other passengers in the gate area. Then I realized what she meant and I was truly surprised. It was kind of awkward at first because she basically stood behind me and watched my every move. My glass was never empty and she ask me "how was it?" after every few bites. It was like having a nice mother-in-law watching me taste her food.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:21 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I once had to serve drinks and make BBQ for 12 demanding women. All carried out successfully without breaking into a sweat.
I somehow don't think semi-charred meat is necessarily what F passengers have been looking for

Having said that I could have fun popping into the F galley with my plate and demand some snags (making sure it's not pink!) and/or surf & turf, and whine that the beer isn't cold enough or something.

PS. In case of any confusion, the line above contains Australian words. Snags = sausages, surf & turf = steak and prawns
HIDDY likes this.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Aug 15, 2017 at 12:54 am
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I somehow don't think semi-charred meat is necessarily what F passengers have been looking for
but that is the only kind of steak they serve on the Trump jet.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Apologies if there was not enough info...I'm on holiday so trying to have a www break!

There were no major major issues, just all very slow, a stressed FA, long waits for everything and just very sub par. As this was a cash booking, just wanted to know if it is worth asking for a few Avios, however unlikely it is!

Food was very good though, and FA lovely.....even though it took nearly 4 hours to do lunch ! Very good for BA that is..

Any way, email sent, breath not held!!!!

Thanks all for comments

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.