Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Any way to leverage not paying for seat selection?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any way to leverage not paying for seat selection?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2017, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by orbitmic
If your daughter is very young (I believe 12 is the maximum limit), then BA will commit to seating you together one way or another. If she is older than that, you cannot be absolutely certain and indeed, there is always a small risk that no seats together are left, but depending on which cabin you are flying, this is not very likely: only a minority of people have status, and most people without status do not pay to pre-assign seats. What you could do is check the seat map 'as though' you were going to pay to see if many seats together are left. If at any point you see that there are only 2-3 pairs of seats left in your cabin, then you could make the decision to pay to be sure. If on the other hand there is plenty, then as c-w-s mentions, theoretical seating should ensure that you are not split, and checking in as soon as check in opens will further guarantee you the best choice of seats.

There are no way to avoid the payment if you really want to pre-assign, have no Oneworld status, are not flying on a full fare ticket, and did not book a specific corporate rate some of which include free pre-assignment as a perk.
We are flying coach (World Traveller?), full fare except for a few Avios that I transferred for a small portion of the cost, and she is 26. I will check the seat map periodically - it's good to know that chances are good that seats will be available together.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 4:13 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Incidentally, for future reference, if you book through certain travel agents (Propeller Travel, for example), you get free seat assignment with BA. Worth the booking fee for even a single long haul sector.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
Incidentally, for future reference, if you book through certain travel agents (Propeller Travel, for example), you get free seat assignment with BA. Worth the booking fee for even a single long haul sector.
I definitely did not know this. BUT I am also getting 5x points on my Amex Plat b/c I booked directly with the airline. It's an either/or thing - a bonus either way.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
For all the hue and cry and worry why not pay $34 for a chosen seat? Cripes at some point people need to pay for desires.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.