Jumping ship on an EU fare

Old Aug 12, 2017, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Jumping ship on an EU fare

So I've got a great deal ex AMS to SA in J, question being, Is it true that you are not awarded Avios or Tier Points if you jump ship at LHR on the way home and don't fly last leg? Many thanks
Old Aug 12, 2017, 6:15 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
You would get TPs and avios for the flights you have flown. You would not get any TPs and avios for flights you do not take.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 6:19 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life
Do bear in mind that you are unlikely to get the the check in agents to agree to check the luggage to LHR only. The way to circumvent this is to book your return from London to AMS from LGW. Be aware however that should there be IRROPS you might find BA 'helpfully' books you with KLM direct to AMS...
hsmall and AceReport like this.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 6:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Purely as an aside, I rather like the mixed metaphor in the title thread - gets the point across neatly (and a change from more commonly-used references to dropping the last leg, hidden city ticketing etc ...)
AceReport likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Book your final leg LGW/LCY to AMS and grab you bags at LHR and off you go - with TPs and Avios for all other legs
Old Aug 12, 2017, 4:31 pm
Ziz

Programs: BA Silver
I haven't tried this, but other posters have pointed out that BA won't fly with unaccompanied luggage. This means even if you check your bag through to AMS, if you don't get on the AMS flight, they will offload the bag and it will appear eventually in baggage claim, although you may have to wait a long time for it.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 5:42 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver
On the Topic: You only get miles/TP for flights you are taking, so probably AMS-LHR-JNB/CPT-LHR.
For the Offtopic: Why not make it easier on yourself and book a flight the next day. You can delay the flight LON-AMS up to 24 hours.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: BA
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Ziz
I haven't tried this, but other posters have pointed out that BA won't fly with unaccompanied luggage. This means even if you check your bag through to AMS, if you don't get on the AMS flight, they will offload the bag and it will appear eventually in baggage claim, although you may have to wait a long time for it.
This is a terrible idea. To actually execute it, someone would have to conclude that their savings of a few pounds on a ticket were sufficiently important that they'd be prepared to actively and intentionally delay the next flight and all its passengers (along possibly with multiple subsequent flights), by obliging the baggage handlers to go searching the cargo hold for a bag. A bag offload could be enough to cause a missed take-off slot.

That pre-departure announcement that 'a transfer passenger's bag is loaded but they are not' is a disheartening one at the best of times. How much worse to imagine that it could be intentional.
firstlight, RDinJER and richi like this.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by Thomathy
This is a terrible idea. To actually execute it, someone would have to conclude that their savings of a few pounds on a ticket were sufficiently important that they'd be prepared to actively and intentionally delay the next flight and all its passengers (along possibly with multiple subsequent flights), by obliging the baggage handlers to go searching the cargo hold for a bag. A bag offload could be enough to cause a missed take-off slot.

That pre-departure announcement that 'a transfer passenger's bag is loaded but they are not' is a disheartening one at the best of times. How much worse to imagine that it could be intentional.
The idea is absolutely perfectly fine if you inform a BA agent at the Flight Connections desk that you are not travelling further. The bag won't even make it to the aircraft in the first place, hence not delaying an onward service.

I've done this several times, and will continue you to do so. In fact, I'll likely be doing this again next week on my way back from JFK, where I should be (according to my ticket) onward to DUS. I'd rather not go there, so will dump my last leg in favour of heading to ZRH.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 1:10 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
Be aware however that should there be IRROPS you might find BA 'helpfully' books you with KLM direct to AMS...
That would be a first to me. Even as a GGL traveling in J/F BA have refused me alternative routing on a non OW carrier every single time. And it wasn't for lack of asking on my part.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 3:27 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Reviving this thread from a different perspective (i.e. wanting to finish my last EU leg), where people have not been able to get the check-in agents to short check a bag, has anybody attempted to reclaim their bag in LHR, but not be off-loaded from their final ex-EU leg? Are the 2 (bag and off-load) mutually exclusive?

I am travelling back from SJC in October with a bag and want to take my last leg, but don't have time to reclaim at my final destination before getting my b2b, so wondering if requesting the bag at LHR, putting it in storage and reclaiming on my b2b return is actually possible without being off-loaded?

Pilot37

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.