Wiki Posts
Search

Cancellation well handled

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2017, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, LH
Cancellation well handled

Mrs CL and I will be flying from EDI to DFW on Tuesday. Mid afternoon today I receive a dreaded text message. TATL flight cancelled. Despair sets in. So I check into the MMB section of the BA website and discover we've automatically been rebooked onto a later AA flight that day, complete with seat reservations. Okay, so it means an arrival 3.5 hrs later than planned, but not so bad. And we get to try out AA J class on their 77W.

Our new flights involve a connection time of 2:15 in LHR. I decide that's a bit tight for comfort when a transfer T5>T3 is involved. So I call up the 0800 BA line. Put through straight away. Agent is friendly and apologises profusely and frequently for the cancellation. I explain it's easier for me to deal with a cancellation 96 hours ahead than 24 hrs or less (which is definitely true). After a bit of delay for struggling IT issues, we're rebooked onto an earlier flight out of EDI.

I'd paid to reserve CW seats on the UD of the BA747 on our original booking. I need to point that out, but a refund is organised smoothly enough. That's Ł200 back to me.

So, all in all, from a potentially really frustrating situation, all (appears to have been) resolved quickly, smoothly and amicably.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 11:58 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Thank you for sharing! Glad that you were taken care of. That's how it's supposed to be.
cammyloon likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:02 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
As you will be departing T3 now do try the CX lounge - you can use any of the BA/AA/CX J lounges but the CX is the recommended one.
cammyloon and ENTP like this.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by cammyloon
Mrs CL and I will be flying from EDI to DFW on Tuesday. Mid afternoon today I receive a dreaded text message. TATL flight cancelled. Despair sets in. So I check into the MMB section of the BA website and discover we've automatically been rebooked onto a later AA flight that day, complete with seat reservations. Okay, so it means an arrival 3.5 hrs later than planned, but not so bad. And we get to try out AA J class on their 77W.

Our new flights involve a connection time of 2:15 in LHR. I decide that's a bit tight for comfort when a transfer T5>T3 is involved. So I call up the 0800 BA line. Put through straight away. Agent is friendly and apologises profusely and frequently for the cancellation. I explain it's easier for me to deal with a cancellation 96 hours ahead than 24 hrs or less (which is definitely true). After a bit of delay for struggling IT issues, we're rebooked onto an earlier flight out of EDI.

I'd paid to reserve CW seats on the UD of the BA747 on our original booking. I need to point that out, but a refund is organised smoothly enough. That's Ł200 back to me.

So, all in all, from a potentially really frustrating situation, all (appears to have been) resolved quickly, smoothly and amicably.
Should you get compensation for the cancellation and subsequent delay?
cammyloon likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:04 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Totally agree, BA are definitely at their best when re-booking people on AA J.
Or being reminded to refund money they owe you.
cammyloon likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA, LH
Originally Posted by KARFA
As you will be departing T3 now do try the CX lounge - you can use any of the BA/AA/CX J lounges but the CX is the recommended one.
Thanks for the hint, Karfa. Just seen a live thread on the same topic. A couple of ironic recommendations on that. But I trust your judgment!!
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
This is terrible news. Exposure to CX's lounge and AA's 77W seats will ruin your enjoyment of BA's product.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:23 pm
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
And we get to try out AA J class on their 77W.
Enjoy those reverse herringbone seats, you won't be able to look at a club world seat the same ever again.

And going with what others have said. Skip the AA/BA lounge in T3 and go straight to the CX lounge.
cammyloon likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:30 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Nice to read IRROPS being handled well. Enjoy your AA J experience.
cammyloon likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold
The LHR-DFW flight has been cancelled on the 10th, 11th, 12th, and as you say now the 15th of August. Crazy.

I guess they're cancelling that one specifically since there are enough AA flights to put people on.

I flew it last week on the 5th and it was 100% full in all classes (747).
cammyloon likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 1:20 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
The cancellation is due to industrial action and thus not subject to EC261 compensation.

OP - enjoy AA!

Pilot37
cammyloon likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 1:45 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott, IHG, Sirius, Dusit, Thai, Virgin, Hyatt, BAA, AS, AA(both)
Originally Posted by Pilot37
The cancellation is due to industrial action and thus not subject to EC261 compensation.

OP - enjoy AA!

Pilot37
Isn't DFW worldwide ?
Old Aug 11, 2017, 2:05 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by E14 26C
Isn't DFW worldwide ?
Yes but crew are being moved around quite a bit during these strikes. The DFW flight has been cancelled the last few days and appears to be cancelled quite a few days in to next week, so it is clearly being cancelled to allow the crew to work other flights.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Maybe I'm very odd and old fashioned, but I personally do not look for compensation where a changed notified in advance and then adapted to suit my needs delivers what I am expecting. In this case the OP gets to try out the AA product and the lounges in T3 and seems happy with that resolution.

I'm afraid the constant pursuit of compensation is not going to have a pleasant effect on most people, who will end up paying more so that the more litigious can gain their reward.
cammyloon likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Pilot37
Actually, this should be better in the EC261 thread, but to my knowledge, existing ECJ rulings suggest that industrial action does not exonerate airlines from paying compensation (unlike weather, etc).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.