Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has WT+ been enhanced

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Padmeister
I am simply saying if I am sitting in WTP I don't expect Champagne; but I do in Business and First! When you do pay more to sit in Business and enjoy all the extras that it comes with e.g flat bed, better food, more room to relax and stretch out etc one of them extras is Champagne
If I am sitting in WTP I expect Champagne Sparkling Wine. When you do pay more to sit in WTP and enjoy all the extras that it comes with e.g better food, more room to relax and stretch out etc one of them extras is Champagne Sparkling Wine
Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:02 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Sam Bee
I kind of agree - but there is a whole world of quality fizz that is not champagne, and costs peanuts. Indeed some airlines serve it in Y...

So perhaps everyone would be happy if WTP got a welcome glass of high quality sparkling wine / cava / prosecco and Club / First got champagne? Only whinging would come from Club when it's been worked out the fizz in WTP is better than the champagne they get served!

EDIT - ah so it is Sparkline wine, not champagne - wasn't clear at first
I'd be happy to see some South African Cap Classique in Club. I have vintage Simonsig magnums that I paid less than Ł20 a bottle for. Better than quite a few champagnes.
Sam Bee likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:04 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by Andriyko
WTP is a premium cabin and it is rather expensive from many markets (for example, the cheapest for me to get to NYC is about GBP 1,300 - some fly to HNL in CW for that amount).
Include a Saturday sale and book it in a sale and save half that money. I wouldn't pay more than Ł600-Ł650 for W to NYC if I were paying with my own dime.

They get away with charging extortionate prices to business travellers though as they know they can, with so many companies travel policies only permitting WT+ for flights of such length these days.

Its Economy with Legroom - Clue is in the name.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:04 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Paralytic
If I am sitting in WTP I expect Champagne. When you do pay more to sit in WTP and enjoy all the extras that it comes with e.g better food, more room to relax and stretch out etc one of them extras is Champagne
OK if that's what you want and expect of WTP
Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:05 am

Programs: BA Silver
I edited my post to lower my expectations a little bit
Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:10 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Paralytic
I edited my post to lower my expectations a little bit

You don't mind as long as it can help keep you Paralytic given the opportunity. [Sorry, couldn't resist]
Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by GlasgowCyclops
It does. Cost of flight was Ł1480
What you or your employer paid for your ticket has nothing to do with it I'm afraid.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:42 am
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
My opinion has nothing to do with the class of the passenger and if they are good enough or not to receive Champagne . I am simply saying if I am sitting in WTP I don't expect Champagne; but I do in Business and First! When you do pay more to sit in Business and enjoy all the extras that it comes with e.g flat bed, better food, more room to relax and stretch out etc one of them extras is Champagne
Then what difference does it make what they're serving in the WT as long as the Business and First cabins have an ample supply of their own.

The lengths you go to to differentiate seem to indicate the enjoyment of it can only be had given knowledge of others being having been denied. In which case I suggest positioning your self as close to the curtain as possible and slurp loudly.

Argueably they're more entitled... from industry insight I've recieved WT+ is the most profitable seat on the plane.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 10:39 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by A P Yu
Include a Saturday sale and book it in a sale and save half that money. I wouldn't pay more than Ł600-Ł650 for W to NYC if I were paying with my own dime.

They get away with charging extortionate prices to business travellers though as they know they can, with so many companies travel policies only permitting WT+ for flights of such length these days.

Its Economy with Legroom - Clue is in the name.
Well, I am not a business traveller. The GBP 1,300 (incl taxes and fees) is the cheapest I can get WTP to NYC with BA (T class) if I stay a Sunday night. A sale (which we don't have often) usually reduces it by GBP150-200, but I have never seen fares to NYC from KBP for less than GBP1,000. I quite like WTP though. It is certainly Economy + rather than business - but it is a much better experience than WT (especially, since as a GCH I am almost guaranteed a pair of the seats on either side rather than two seats in the middle, unless I book too close to the departure). A welcome drink is a nice touch but as I am paying for space it is not a big deal for me (plus, I prefer prosecco to champagne)
Old Aug 11, 2017, 11:07 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Flying out of PHX recently in WT+ it was OJ or water from the tray, but I asked if there was some sparkling wine and was promptly offered a glass of champagne from Club. It was kept well topped up before departure too. After that I was offered wines from the Club wine list with dinner, as well as the cheese plate. The CC also asked me ahead of the service what meal I'd like in order to ensure there was one left for me (as I would be served second to last based on where I was sitting).

I know - absolutely shocking behaviour by the CC but who am I to complain

Flying back to LAS in WT+ we did get the usual three choices of sparkling wine, water and orange juice. I had the two bottles of prosecco that were on the bar cart and upon asking if there were any more (as I love to binge drink on flights as I don't have a car to pick up on arrival) I was told unfortunately not but offered champagne from Club yet again.

It's a tough life flying WT+ as a GCH sometimes!
20Rothmans likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 11:18 am
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Well it seems they are entitled to no as BA does offer it (sparkling wine) out of LHR and some outstations where possible?

I really don't get why because you don't fly in WT+ you want people who do to have something taken away so you can feel more special? Especially as, as someone noted, WT+ is far more profitable than first.

Other airlines serve it in Y, I'm not sure how you can possibly be annoyed about an airline offering something extra in a cabin? It's a nice gesture if you're in Y+, in higher cabins you get a bunch more bells and whistles that justify the much higher cost. A glass of champagne doesn't really come into it.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
What you or your employer paid for your ticket has nothing to do with it I'm afraid.

You missed the point completely there. IMHO

The price description was to show that it was a premium price.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Yeah CC have told me that before on a lot of flights on WT+ return. I wonder if it's just only the 788/789 though. I've certainly had it on some return flights in WT+ but I haven't worked out if the aircraft is at fault or maybe some outstations have it chilled somewhere. It is a bit poor BA haven't found a way of chilling some bottles. Of all true modern technology on the aircraft and they haven't got a fridge.

Maybe I should bring a bottle from the lounge and serve the cabin - although I wouldn't want to be filmed and shamed on these forums for doing such an act!
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:40 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by jday
Yeah CC have told me that before on a lot of flights on WT+ return. I wonder if it's just only the 788/789 though. I've certainly had it on some return flights in WT+ but I haven't worked out if the aircraft is at fault or maybe some outstations have it chilled somewhere. It is a bit poor BA haven't found a way of chilling some bottles. Of all true modern technology on the aircraft and they haven't got a fridge.

Maybe I should bring a bottle from the lounge and serve the cabin - although I wouldn't want to be filmed and shamed on these forums for doing such an act!
It seems that it's as simple as the sparkling wine is loaded in London in a box not a bar so is warm for the return. Champagne is loaded into a refrigerated bar. BA don't want to pay more duty than they have to (to serve booze on the ground they have to pay duty) and the 1 duty paid champagne drawer is full of champagne so there's no space to put the sparkling wine.

Some stations have worked out a local solution whilst others haven't (I believe US is a sticking point as they have particularly fussy customs - note crew have to count stock in the bar for the paperwork to the US!) and some crew find a way to chill the sparkling wine but others can't or don't. Presumably once a few bottles of champagne have been opened for outbound PDB there is space in the PDB bar drawer for sparkling wine but then this depends on inbound crew realising it is there and logistics of getting it to WTP given crew have a short time from boarding to pax arriving to do security and equipment checks, work out why no special meals have been loaded or why all the First entrees have all been loaded in the WT galley and so on...this is all conjecture but the WT+ sparkling wine is probably quite low down the priorities list!
jday likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 1:20 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by SgtSweetchuck
Flying WT+ last week, received it ex-SIN but not ex-SYD.
Stupid : Decent Sparkling Wine ex Singapore is 3 times more expensive than in OZ

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.