Wiki Posts
Search

Change car hire pickup 12hrs cost £900!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Change car hire pickup 12hrs cost £900!

I have a trip coming up which I booked a while back. It is a return flight to Chicago, one night in a hotel and a car hire for the entire trip. Apparently, as the car hire is for the entire duration it makes it a holiday!

I wanted to change the car hire pick up from being when I arrive to the morning after (so I can have a drink or two on the flight!)... a change of just 12hrs... I can do this but the amendment will cost me £983.36 !!!!!

Crazy!

I know that rules are rules but this is simply potty!

I think I shall put this down as a lesson to be learned... I shall never book flight, hotel and car on the same booking again. I know it can be cheaper but you lose so much flexibility that for me it just isn't worth it.

What I will do is get my wife (who doesn't drink) to drive to the hotel... a much better solution providing she doesn't have a nervous breakdown in the process as she totally hates driving in the USA!
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:37 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
I have a trip coming up which I booked a while back. It is a return flight to Chicago, one night in a hotel and a car hire for the entire trip. Apparently, as the car hire is for the entire duration it makes it a holiday!

I wanted to change the car hire pick up from being when I arrive to the morning after (so I can have a drink or two on the flight!)... a change of just 12hrs... I can do this but the amendment will cost me £983.36 !!!!!

Crazy!

I know that rules are rules but this is simply potty!

I think I shall put this down as a lesson to be learned... I shall never book flight, hotel and car on the same booking again. I know it can be cheaper but you lose so much flexibility that for me it just isn't worth it.

What I will do is get my wife (who doesn't drink) to drive to the hotel... a much better solution providing she doesn't have a nervous breakdown in the process as she totally hates driving in the USA!
What happens if you just turn up 12 hours late to pick up the car?
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
The usual advice for these things is

1) Don't call BA and try to change it as you'll end up with a result like you've got there.

2) Call the local Avis office you're renting from if you want the day before and ask them if it's okay if you pick up the next morning instead - it's highly likely they won't care or if they have a charge it will be trivial.

3) If 2 doesn't work go by the counter when you arrive and ask the same .. if they say no ( fairly unlikely) then just pick up the car anyway and :

a) Forget to drive it out of the parking lot until the next morning
or
b) Do as you propose and get your wife to drive it to the hotel.

It won't be a problem really, but BA's computer usually says "NO" in these cases.
snaxmuppet likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 1:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
What happens if you just turn up 12 hours late to pick up the car?
Good point... I did think I might just do that but I guess I could risk being considered a no-show and losing the booking.

Originally Posted by EvilDoctorK

1) Don't call BA and try to change it as you'll end up with a result like you've got there.

2) Call the local Avis office you're renting from if you want the day before and ask them if it's okay if you pick up the next morning instead - it's highly likely they won't care or if they have a charge it will be trivial.

3) If 2 doesn't work go by the counter when you arrive and ask the same .. if they say no ( fairly unlikely) then just pick up the car anyway and :

or

It won't be a problem really, but BA's computer usually says "NO" in these cases.
Many thanks. Sounds like great advice.

I think the safest option is to turn up at the rental desk and simply ask if they would hold it over to the next day. They have already got the money for the booking so that won't change and all they are losing is 12hrs of parking space. I can always offer to pay for parking!

As you say... I am sure it will be fine

PS... just mentioned that she could always drive the 2 miles to the hotel and she nearly freaked out so I guess that is not an option
Old Aug 11, 2017, 1:54 am

Just turn up complete your paperwork and ask if you can leave the car for a few hours.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 1:58 am

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
For £983.36 I would just forgo the drink on the plane...
Old Aug 11, 2017, 2:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SonTech
For £983.36 I would just forgo the drink on the plane...

It is my very first flight in F so that won't happen
Old Aug 11, 2017, 2:18 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet

It is my very first flight in F so that won't happen
Oh - really do not let it stress you at all. Just turn up 12 hours late. Any issues just say were feeling ill on arrival and got a taxi to the hotel. Avis really won't care.

Most importantly, enjoy your first first!
snaxmuppet likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 2:22 am

If it makes you more comfortable, book alternative car hire for the time you want on "pay at location" basis, if you don't turn up you will not be charged.

I quite often do this if I have managed to acquire a "special rate" that I think may not be honoured.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 2:36 am
cyc

I don't think the care hire company will really care if you show up 12 hours later. I'm sure they deal frequently with people who have had their flights cancelled or delayed.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 2:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

With a 9+ hour flight , can have a drink or 2 on the flight and not have an issue picking up the car; there is no need for binge drinking on flights
Old Aug 11, 2017, 2:47 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by EvilDoctorK

or

Very sound advice.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 3:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
With a 9+ hour flight , can have a drink or 2 on the flight and not have an issue picking up the car; there is no need for binge drinking on flights
I agree... in fact, that is what I normally do when flying TATL as I nearly always have to drive somewhere on arrival. However, being the first First I have decided that this time I will want to keep open the option to make use of the "facilities" throughout the flight
Old Aug 11, 2017, 3:28 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
First time in First? Once you've had a few pre flight champagnes in the lounge, one on board, and a few wines with a relaxed meal there will be no way you should be driving on arrival.

No advocating binge drinking (though it is a LOT of fun), but just leisurely enjoying the service will be more than enough to keep you out of the driver's seat.
mrow, 'andad, Atlantic 101 and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 3:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Starbucks Gold,
I have always found Dan on the Avis UK twitter feed incredible at this sort of thing. I have done exactly what you propose at Nice and Aberdeen - book a package, send a message to Dan to say that I want to pick the car up 12hrs later at the crack of dawn so I can have a drink, and he messages back quickly to say that it is all sorted. On arrival there is usually a scribbled note on the pouch noting that I will be coming the next day and no extra money is asked for.

Definitely not worth £900 and not worth not having a drink on your flight!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.