Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

T5 Connection timing question - sub 1 hr in from DFW out to BOM

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T5 Connection timing question - sub 1 hr in from DFW out to BOM

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2017, 7:32 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
If it's all on a single ticket then 100% do it, IMO.

If you arrive & depart from B/C gates then the transfer process is much less painful than having to go via A.

Never in a million years on separate tickets!
Old Aug 11, 2017, 7:54 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
I've done this connection before. The inbound was a bit delayed and into the B gates and the flight to BOM was from A10. Security was slow and pretty much every bag was checked manually. I was the last person on the bus.

i wouldn't prefer that connection as back to back longhaul flights without a shower is not particularly enjoyable in my opinion, even in CW. But it is doable.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:07 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by dylanks
I've done this connection before. The inbound was a bit delayed and into the B gates and the flight to BOM was from A10. Security was slow and pretty much every bag was checked manually. I was the last person on the bus.

i wouldn't prefer that connection as back to back longhaul flights without a shower is not particularly enjoyable in my opinion, even in CW. But it is doable.
I would love to have a nap and a shower before flying out again on another 8-10 hour flight to be honest.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 3:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I've done similar connections coming in from EWR. On few occasions, when we were late coming into LHR there was staff to meet us with placards who would walk us to our connecting flight(its more for people who are not familiar with LHR).

Once I was delayed out of EWR and missed my BOM connection. I was given option of AI(1 PM) or BA(9 PM) to BOM.

Depending on when your return is, 9W is starting its 3x daily flight to LHR in Oct which adds another option in the afternoon in case you misconnect.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:52 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Acid
I've done similar connections coming in from EWR. On few occasions, when we were late coming into LHR there was staff to meet us with placards who would walk us to our connecting flight(its more for people who are not familiar with LHR).
I think it is worth pointing out that generally the USA - India market is a very significant one for airlines, BA has a decent carve up of this business, which is second or third most important to them (after / alongside USA and South Africa point to point), so there is some evidence of BA going the extra mile. So USA <-> India seems to be often a T5B connection and as you say there are often oneworld Express Connection agents available.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 1:09 am

Originally Posted by wolf72
I would love to have a nap and a shower before flying out again on another 8-10 hour flight to be honest.
The opposite for me - I try to get the flights as close as possible subject to MCT. I generally prefer to leave later or spend more time acclimatising at destination rather than lurking around airport lounges for hours, plus you are also protected by the airline if there is an issue.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 2:23 am

Programs: AA EXP
If u land T5a and there is a queue and leaving t5b/c can u "walkway" to t5b flight connections? Ever worth doing?
Old Aug 12, 2017, 2:37 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by seaskybound
If u land T5a and there is a queue and leaving t5b/c can u "walkway" to t5b flight connections? Ever worth doing?
As you’ll be using the arrivals stream (albeit in reverse of the masses), this should be possible using the lifts and walkway. You’ll do the security stuff when you get to T5B. I've never tried this myself, so I'm relying on my own mental map of T5 but i'm sure someone else can clarify.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 2:57 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by simons1
The opposite for me - I try to get the flights as close as possible subject to MCT. I generally prefer to leave later or spend more time acclimatising at destination rather than lurking around airport lounges for hours, plus you are also protected by the airline if there is an issue.
I can't operate without sufficient sleep. It will destroy my day's ahead when I need my mind to be sharp for meetings and discussions that are potentially important and need sound decision making to be made during the course of those discussions.

It doesn't help if your dozing off and your brain keeps trying to shut down or re-boot.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 5:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Exec Club - Gold Member - yeah baby, Emerald Aisle Executive Elite - Woo, Marriott Silver Executive
In case anyone cares for an update.

Boarded flight 192 DFW to LHR on time. The plane was incredibly hot - the crew explained that it was board a hot plane or leave 3 hours late. I was happy for the hot plane.

They then struggled to get the faulty APU started. This seemed to take forever.

We arrived at LHR 39 minutes late and of course the flight to Mumbai was on time.

I easily got rebooked onto the 21:25 flight 199 LHR-BOM.

This gave me about 10 hours to kill. So I did the only sensible thing and rented a Jaaaaaaaaaag for the day and drove to see my family. This was an excellent decision (with the exception of sitting in the same spot on the M1 for an hour due to an accident).

Back to LHR with plenty of time to spare and got to guest my first person into the First lounge. A lovely young lady travelling with her mum and sister on a girls weekend.

All in all I almost hope to miss the connection again next month ;-)
Old Sep 25, 2017, 5:39 am

No surprise to many, but glad you made the most of the delay. Hopefully you will still have a chunk of change left over from your delay compensation after paying for the Jaaaaaaaag.

Did you get a B/C to B/C connection?
Old Sep 25, 2017, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Exec Club - Gold Member - yeah baby, Emerald Aisle Executive Elite - Woo, Marriott Silver Executive
Originally Posted by 710 77345
No surprise to many, but glad you made the most of the delay. Hopefully you will still have a chunk of change left over from your delay compensation after paying for the Jaaaaaaaag.

Did you get a B/C to B/C connection?
Yes the connection was B to B. When I got to security at the B gates they told me that the door was already closed. No chance.

I put in for EC261 yesterday - by my read this should be 600 euros. I'll see what happens.

The Jaaaaaaag was actually ridiculously cheap. Turned up at Enterprise without a reservation - the bus driver seemed a little surprised at this.

I talked to the manager (by chance) and asked for the cheapest rental I could get into for 12 hours.

He hooked me up for 35 pounds included taxes and insurance. Then we went outside and he offered me a Nissan Kumquat. Of course next to it was a Jag - I said I'd prefer the Jag, he said that would be an extra 20 quid. I hugged him and said take my money.

This might become a new hobby when on long layovers
Old Sep 26, 2017, 4:12 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by Harry Harry
This might become a new hobby when on long layovers
There's a rent-a-Porsche possibility for transfers through Frankfurt, too.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flatlander
There's a rent-a-Porsche possibility for transfers through Frankfurt, too.
I don't disagree - but it would be harder to drive to see my family in the UK from there. Could be an interesting challenge but a little too risky.

I was already nervous about something (like the M1 being closed and people helicoptered out from a crash while I sat there for an hour. My helpful (former?) countrymen happily telling me of the time they sat on the closed M1 for 7 or more hours ) delaying me so that I missed the next flight too.

It would/will be interesting to see what else Enterprise Heathrow has available though, even though I do enjoy a Jaguar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.