Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another lounge etiquette moan

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2018, 5:15 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by deboyzoned
Trying to enjoy my Bacon Cheeseburger in peace. Not happening.!! 1 guy has paved up and down the main thoroughfare at least 30 times talking down his phone in French. So disrespectful of others.

If if you need to make a call, make it short please.
If you need absolute and complete peace and quiet, why choose a lounge occupied by at least tens of people and likely hundreds at peak times? And why sit near somewhere with high foot traffic?

Or get some ear buds or noise cancelling headphones. Or move to a different area.

The sensitivity of people here to minor audible disruption in a semi public space beggars belief. After many many visits to GF I've never once found it impossible to secure a nice quiet space to sit and relax or do a bit of work if I needed to.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 5:32 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Wayland
If you need absolute and complete peace and quiet, why choose a lounge occupied by at least tens of people and likely hundreds at peak times? And why sit near somewhere with high foot traffic?

Or get some ear buds or noise cancelling headphones. Or move to a different area.
I'm pretty sure that the passenger described above is annoying several people at once. There's a reason why many lounges have separate business centres. Heck, in some places they make you use phone booths.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by WorldLux
I'm pretty sure that the passenger described above is annoying several people at once. There's a reason why many lounges have separate business centres. Heck, in some places they make you use phone booths.
Then sit in the business centre amongst people quietly working on laptops, not in an area of foot traffic expecting silence.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Then sit in the business centre amongst people quietly working on laptops, not in an area of foot traffic expecting silence.
you’re right, our silent friend is disturbing the noise and selfishly failing to contribute to the emerging effort to create a multilingual Babel of unilaterally shouted phone conversations: he must be exiled.

i have long requested silent zones in lounges. In ba lounges, they do not exist and loud phone conversations in the business centre are in fact common. You could of course say that the op should seek asylum in the toilets instead but perhaps it is more a case that until such time as silent and noisy areas are indeed created people ought to make a minimal effort to keep the volume down in terms of phone calls, Skype on speakers, ringtone and the likes?

Once ce the noisy areas are on you’re most welcome to share it with fellow noise makers whilst the rest of us share our beloved silence.
User Name and deboyzoned like this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:58 pm

More worryingly, our intrepid poster is eating the BA burger.
lhrpete and orbitmic like this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH DIAMOND, AVIS Presidents Club, Karahi Express
When was the last time you was in GF? It”s annoyingly loud everywhere ... I can put up with someone who is having a conversation on the phone, but this guy speaking loudly in French (not his native language) was disturbing many people with his back and forward across the lounge.

Last edited by deboyzoned; Apr 9, 2018 at 11:49 pm
Old Apr 10, 2018, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
The notion that the business area attracts only quiet laptop workers is attractive, but in practice the zone generates a lot of phone calls and a smattering of those gooey, family-related skype calls.
lhrpete, orbitmic and deboyzoned like this.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 4:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
One type of behaviour that I find particularly distasteful - and I'm looking at someone doing it right now - is "grazing" at the buffet. This chap put some food on his plate and then ate it while walking around the buffet wondering what to have next. He then put the dirty plate and cutlery on the buffet, piled another plate and is now walking around eating that. I doubt he'd do this in a restaurant, so why do it in the lounge?
Old Apr 27, 2018, 4:47 am

Forgot to check back in on this thread. I'm in GF about every 3 weeks on average, last time just this morning. Yes its busy, yes there is background noise. And because of this I just feel you have to take your own countermeasures if you want total peace and quiet - be flexible with where you sit, wear your NC headphones etc. With the size of space and diverse population, you'll always likely find someone to annoy you otherwise.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 7:48 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH DIAMOND, AVIS Presidents Club, Karahi Express
GF T5 Trainers on table

Just walked by a table of 4 by the bar area. Looked like 2 fathers each with a teenager son. What caught my eye were the filthy trainers (filthy sole) worn by one of the teenagers resting on the table (where most people put their drinks and plates of food).

Absolutely disgusting behaviour. All 4 engrossed on their phones / papers.

A quite word to lounge manager and she was disgusted. Said she was not allowed to say anything. But she mentioned to BA staff, who promptly came and informed the parent that this was not acceptable.

The embarrassment for the father... too damn right.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.