Another lounge etiquette moan

Old Aug 11, 2017, 2:12 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by payam81
I troll BA forum sometimes just to read up on these "Oh boys will be boys" (Or is it "Lads will be lads" in British?) responses. It gives me a bit better perspective as to why Britain as a whole is kinda going bananas. lol
I suspect you meant trawl, but the irony in the word you did type is beautiful.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 2:49 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Aggressive British lads on a stag do abusing alcohol and giving Britain a bad rep in a business class lounge. Nothing new.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 3:06 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Not etiquette, quite simply they have grabbed a shared resource and kept it for themselves. Which means it is no longer shared.

It's not as if they have a need to do that, they just needed to go to the bar to fill up.

Lounge staff should be told, and they should take care of it.

Making noise and enjoying themselves isn't relevant. While a bit annoying sometimes, it's just part of the airport experience. Grabbing all the booze is.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 3:33 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
I'm sorry but if they were British lads coming back from a stag do in Prague and they are still physically able to consume alcohol at that point, then that stag do must have been appalling.
Aventine and crazy8534 like this.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 3:44 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
I'm sorry but if they were British lads coming back from a stag do in Prague and they are still physically able to consume alcohol at that point, then that stag do must have been appalling.
seconded
Old Aug 11, 2017, 4:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Very very appalling.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 5:09 am

Programs: BA
It wasn't a stag party, but was the Sunday midday after an International rugby match in Paris (I shan't say which of the home nations).

BA lounge at CDG. Two returning fans stand close across the bar. First one, then the other, produce silvered hip flasks, which they proceed to fill right up with the whisky.

"Have to say that's a bit inappropriate, chaps".

"Ah, xxxx off, you (different home nation) xxxx".
Old Aug 11, 2017, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I think they should have been thrown out of the lounge for treating it like their own personal playpen.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 5:19 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
And that in a nutshell is why grabbing the bottles of shared booze and taking them to your table caused an issue for the OP. Not because it's particularly logistically difficult per se to go and get the bottle back, but because increasingly, in this aggressive culture that we now seem to have to tolerate, there's always that moment of uncertainty when you engage with 'a group of lads' (or increasingly possibly 'ladettes') when you're not sure whether you're going to get told to f**k off. Or even worse.

And the group mindset just empowers some people to behave that way.

I have sympathy with the OP, although it is unfortunately a fact of life. Probably best route in hindsight is to ask them to put the bottles back as they're for all to share. But good chance that backfires I reckon.

Therefore who wants that in their life?
gypsyjaney likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 5:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by WHBM
It wasn't a stag party, but was the Sunday midday after an International rugby match in Paris (I shan't say which of the home nations).

BA lounge at CDG. Two returning fans stand close across the bar. First one, then the other, produce silvered hip flasks, which they proceed to fill right up with the whisky.

"Have to say that's a bit inappropriate, chaps".

"Ah, xxxx off, you (different home nation) xxxx".
With that kind of attitude, I would have reported both of them and had them both thrown out french style. They didn't deserve to be in the lounge.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 5:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Pascoe
And that in a nutshell is why grabbing the bottles of shared booze and taking them to your table caused an issue for the OP. Not because it's particularly logistically difficult per se to go and get the bottle back, but because increasingly, in this aggressive culture that we now seem to have to tolerate, there's always that moment of uncertainty when you engage with 'a group of lads' (or increasingly possibly 'ladettes') when you're not sure whether you're going to get told to f**k off. Or even worse.

And the group mindset just empowers some people to behave that way.

I have sympathy with the OP, although it is unfortunately a fact of life. Probably best route in hindsight is to ask them to put the bottles back as they're for all to share. But good chance that backfires I reckon.

Therefore who wants that in their life?
I would have just filed a complaint with the lounge staff and let them handle it. And taken photos of the individuals and written an email with photos included to some trashy tabloid about how "good boys giving our nation a bad reputation overseas" and embarrassed them with an article in the papers.

That would have taught them a lesson in humility and attitude.

Email would have sounded something like..."guests at the lounge watched in disgust and anger as 4 english lads trashed a business class lounge in a drunkard episode that will strain international relations between Britain and our partners in the EU. The disgusting acts of stealing bottles of alcohol and acting like university students on a pub crawl were seen by over 100 people and nothing could be done to stop these barbarians."
Old Aug 11, 2017, 5:26 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by wolf72
Aggressive British lads on a stag do abusing alcohol and giving Britain a bad rep in a business class lounge. Nothing new.
Who said anything about aggressive?
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 5:27 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by wolf72
Email would have sounded something like..."guests at the lounge watched in disgust and anger as 4 english lads trashed a business class lounge in a drunkard episode that will strain international relations between Britain and our partners in the EU. The disgusting acts of stealing bottles of alcohol and acting like university students on a pub crawl were seen by over 100 people and nothing could be done to stop these barbarians."
You don't half post some rubbish
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 6:02 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
I half agree - annoying behavior? Sure. But it doesn't look like they kept anyone from having a drink or even doing anything they wanted with the bottles (as the OP did move bottles around as well). Complaining about it here as opposed to contemporaneously seems like a bit of whinge.
It's a bit like putting your bag on the empty seat next to you on a busy train; or talking loudly on your mobile. It's mildly anti-social, but probably something that we have all done. It's not crime of the century, but it is annoying.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 6:08 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by Southlondonbonviveur
It's a bit like putting your bag on the empty seat next to you on a busy train;
What the Englishman says: "Excuse me, but is anyone sitting there?"
What the Englishman means: "I suggest you immediately remove this bag from the seat before I end you."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.