Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Free same day changes - Club Europe now too?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free same day changes - Club Europe now too?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2017, 4:23 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by Petrus
Maybe there is vintage bubbly in GF again?
Nope but it would be nice if they served Petrus in F 😁🍷
Old Aug 9, 2017, 4:44 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Damn, could have done with this 12months ago when making more flights with startup of the no-interlining routing forcing long LHR just in case buffer, ie
o MH Asia-LHR / o BA LHR-AMS
Old Aug 10, 2017, 12:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by LCY8737
In what parallel universe would that be?
The F lounge, which I couldn't access if flying U2, even if Open Doors still applied.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by FrancisA
You have really confused me with this one. U2 are now offering business class? I missed that one!

If I were to fly U2, could I:

Use F check in
Dedicated fast track security
Lounge
Have a meal and limitless vintage Champagne
Have middle seat empty and occupied by a rather useful tray
Take 2X32kg of luggage at no extra charge at all
Have priority boarding

Err...
All of which bar one suggesting that BA does not offer Business class from LCY by your book? (Nor from a number of outstation and no blocked seat bar the middle isle for the BA 767). And of course, BA's business class does not give access to F lounges, not to any vintage champagne either onboard or on the ground, and within Europe, not to what many of us would call 'meals' either on board (unless you consider a sandwich a meal which I don't) or on the ground. (Oh and of course, U2 will happily sell you lounge access and fast track from most airports and does have priority boarding on all flights and arguably enforces it far more strictly than BA, for example offering specific busses or bus sections to priority boarding passengers when using a bus gate).

That said don't think the op was talking about any of that. I think the point that was rightly referred to was not relating to business class but to business travellers: U2 has been allowing people to move to an earlier same day flight for free (on all fares) on their return flight on a space available basis for years if they arrive at the airport for free, and it could be frustrating to many that BA would not offer the same, and all the more so when they started allowing it in relatively cheap ET fares but not in far more expensive CE ones.

I think most business travellers on short haul flights would rate 'meals with vintage champagne and 2x32kg checked luggage' as much lower priority than being able to jump onan earlier flight if there is space. If what we are seeing is indeed a genuine change and not a technical bleep, I agree that it is a very good idea to match and exceed U2's flexibility on that one.

Last edited by orbitmic; Aug 10, 2017 at 4:24 am
Old Aug 10, 2017, 1:23 am

Indeed, all a bit confusing as U2 do offer a premium ticket which is available online and through GDSs for corporate travellers.

It comes with checked baggage, premium check-in desk access, fast track security, priority boarding, seat reservations with extra legroom and food on board. Doesn't seem a million miles away from a business class offering.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 1:31 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by FrancisA
The F lounge, which I couldn't access if flying U2, even if Open Doors still applied.

Not sure vintage champagne has ever been served in the F lounge? Castle-No and Henri-Not are many things to many people, but vintage tends to go into other bottles...
Old Aug 10, 2017, 1:33 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by LCY8737
Not sure vintage champagne has ever been served in the F lounge? Castle-No and Henri-Not are many things to many people, but vintage tends to go into other bottles...
There used to be vintage Taittinger for quite a long time though I understand that it has disappeared a while ago!
Old Aug 10, 2017, 1:36 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by orbitmic
... and within Europe, not to what many of us would call 'meals' either on board (unless you consider a sandwich a meal which I don't) ...
You do realise there is an alternative to the sandwich, don't you?
Old Aug 10, 2017, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
You do realise there is an alternative to the sandwich, don't you?
Yes, but I don't call it a meal either even though it is the option I will go for if I have forgotten to pre-order a special meal (the KSML is slightly more generous and slightly better quality).
Old Aug 10, 2017, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I also noticed that BA is selling one way I fares on LGW-NCE, that must be new.

Edit: "CREATED 25APR17/0925" Not that new at all ...
Old Aug 10, 2017, 3:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
that said don't think the op was talking about any of that. I think the point that was rightly referred to was not relating to business class but to business travellers: U2 has been allowing people to move to an earlier same day flight for free (on all fares) on their return flight on a space available basis if they arrive at the airport for free and it could be frustrating to many that BA would not offer the same, and all the more so when they started allowing it in et but not in ce.

I think most business travellers on short haul flights would rate 'meals with vintage champagne and 2x32kg checked luggage' as much lower priority than being able to jump onan earlier flight if there is space. If what we are seeing is indeed a genuine change and not a technical bleep, I agree that it is a very good idea to match and exceed U2's flexibility on that one.
Thanks orbitmic, you understood my post exactly as I intended and you also have far more patience in explaining it to a BA rose-tinted spectacle wearer than I ever could. ^
Old Aug 15, 2017, 4:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
LGW CE flights have had this ability for some time, although it's not well known (hat tip to c-w-s who advised me) and you will likely have to get the airport and/or call centre staff to dig very deep into the record if you need them to make the change (for example, if you've already checked in).

As to whether the system is confused between a LGW & LHR departure, or this is a sign of good things to come - well, I'll leave that to your best judgment! I think I'd be tempted to retain the screenshot in any case though ...
Apparently this is a genuine improvement - there's an article about it on the Head for Points site today.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 5:01 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by volar
Apparently this is a genuine improvement - there's an article about it on the Head for Points site today.
Pah, it was here first, see final post:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...change-ba.html
volar and Calchas like this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Pah, it was here first, see final post:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...change-ba.html
^ Thanks @corporate-wage-slave I must have missed that. Good news though.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 6:21 am

Programs: BA bronze
Meh !!! The customer service agent did not know about it when I called the bronze line on Sunday.

Flying CE out of of DUB, was looking to move to a later flight due to have to visit A&E for a minor injury. Got told would have to get letter from doctor etc to allow free change

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.