Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

First BA flight in 20 yrs - surprisingly good

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2017, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond, QR Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum

Flew BA for first time in 20 yrs. Was travelling long haul in Y and was expecting a poor experience given the slating BA gets on here and in UK press.

My most recent long haul flights have been on AF, EK, KL, TK and SA.

Good points about BA:

- Flight left on time and arrived ahead of schedule
- Seat in WT was nicely padded and comfortable. I would say it was on a par with KL and better than AF, TK and SA.
- Legroom was sufficient and no worse than others
- Food was particularly good and tasty - a chicken curry. Only AF comes near. Presentation could have been better though.
- Good friendly crew
- Great value fare

Bad points about BA

- I actually checked in via IB mobile site as first connecting flight was on IB. I was automatically assigned a middle seat (an E) on B772. BA wanted GBP18 to change. This demand for extra cash seemed Ryanair-esque. I ignored it and was able to change when dropping off bag and got window seat.
- Bus gate was used
- Crew should leave more water out in galley for pax on overnight flight. EK crews are generally very good at this.
- The IFE was poor. Content was limited and screen was 90s type and hardly bigger than a smartphone. It broke down for 15 mins inflight too.
- No universal power points available or even USB charging at seat.

I sort of don't mind the last two points too much. It was an old aircraft and I am sure most of the fleet offer a better IFE experience.

By far my biggest gripe was T5. I had no lounge access. There were no book shops other than 2 x small WHSmiths. A small Dixons that did not even have the phone charger I wanted in stock. Some chain coffee shops. An Itsu and perhaps one or two other F&B outlets. All in all not much choice. Gordon's Plain Food was closed for a refurb. In summary, T5 is good for pricey handbags (which I don't buy) but not much else it seems.

Overall I was pleasantly surprised by BA. They exceeded my expectations in some areas and I would fly them again if price is OK.

I think T5 is appalling though and for me I would prefer to connect in JNB, CDG, DXB or AMS. T5 is on a par with IST IMO!
Old Aug 8, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
As Basil Fawlty said - A satisfied customer. We should have him stuffed.

Can't agree that LHR T5 is as bad as IST. My one abiding memory of my two transits through IST was toilets that absolutely stank!
Old Aug 8, 2017, 10:35 am
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
Do you mind me asking what route you flew BA on ?
Old Aug 8, 2017, 11:36 am
Original Poster

I would rate T5 above IST in cleanliness stakes both in the loos and generally. I would also compliment T5 on fast free WiFi. T5 does beat IST just, due to these two things. I still think IST has better retail and I prefer the F&B options at IST to T5. But the F&B options at T5 are likely more hygienic.

I certainly rate JNB above T5 though and that is a fairly sad indictment!
Old Aug 8, 2017, 11:36 am
Original Poster

LHR-LAD
Old Aug 9, 2017, 10:26 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
[QUOTE=cargueiro;28663164]

By far my biggest gripe was T5. I had no lounge access. There were no book shops other than 2 x small WHSmiths.

What's a Book Shop?. Expect there were no shops selling Music Cassettes or Camera Film. Heathrow is likely is the most expensive Airport Retail Space in The World. They have to sell what the majority of people want.

But then the OP does visit Once every 20 years
Old Aug 9, 2017, 10:27 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
[QUOTE=cargueiro;28663164]
By far my biggest gripe was T5. I had no lounge access. There were no book shops other than 2 x small WHSmiths.

What's a Book Shop?. Expect there were no shops selling Music Cassettes or Camera Film. Heathrow is likely is the most expensive Airport Retail Space in The World. They have to sell what the majority of people want.

But then the OP does visit Once every 20 years
Old Aug 9, 2017, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by UncleDude
Heathrow is likely is the most expensive Airport Retail Space in The World. They have to sell what the majority of people want.
I wouldn't confuse "what the majority of people want" with "what's most profitable". Louis Vuitton handbags may tick the latter box but are unlikely to come anywhere near the former. Which is a shame, as Heathrow is an airport catering to travellers and should be reminded of that.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 11:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Most of our friends here choose BA Y when flying to Europe and I've yet to hear any of them having anything negative to say about their experiences.
Goes to show what you read in the press and on here doesn't necessarily reflect the views of the majority of BA customers.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
I would commend the OP for a very balanced and fair review of the BA product offer. It's a shame that perceptions, on here and in the press, put people off what is a reasonable product.

Not sure about T5. Without lounge access it would be a pain, but I wouldn't get there any earlier than necessary. My judgement of JNB, IST, CDG etc is similarly coloured by having lounge access. I would say Exclusive Books at JNB is light years ahead of anything at LHR.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Senator
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
I wouldn't confuse "what the majority of people want" with "what's most profitable". Louis Vuitton handbags may tick the latter box but are unlikely to come anywhere near the former. Which is a shame, as Heathrow is an airport catering to travellers and should be reminded of that.
I may be wrong but I would think if poeple didn't buy those bags they would stop selling them?
Old Aug 9, 2017, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by Flip42
I may be wrong but I would think if poeple didn't buy those bags they would stop selling them?
That's not the point being made. Don't equate what's most popular with most passengers with what's most profitable.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 12:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Most of our friends here choose BA Y when flying to Europe and I've yet to hear any of them having anything negative to say about their experiences.
Goes to show what you read in the press and on here doesn't necessarily reflect the views of the majority of BA customers.
Within the context of total passenger numbers carried by BA annually, I think it's very safe to say that "most of your friends" represent a particularly small sample size.

And from that, it follows that the experiences of those friends don't necessarily reflect the views of the majority of BA passengers - regardless of what we read here or in the wider media.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 12:45 pm

Good to hear of a positive flight experience on here ^
Old Aug 9, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by subject2load
Within the context of total passenger numbers carried by BA annually, I think it's very safe to say that "most of your friends" represent a particularly small sample size.

And from that, it follows that the experiences of those friends don't necessarily reflect the views of the majority of BA passengers - regardless of what we read here or in the wider media.
Is your sample size larger than one or is your opinion too equally unrepresentative?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.