Original Routing Credit - exclusions?

Old Aug 9, 2017, 12:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by opalfruit
Quite. Despite having done so personally two or three times before (when involving non OW carriers, one of these also on 001 stock) and tens of other times involving AA reroutes. That and the multitude of other reports of claiming ORC in similar situations on FT...

If BA don't have an official line here then people are going to keep bumping into this nebulous will they/won't they gamble. In my case it'll only cost me 40 TPs and a handful of Avios, but on a more complex reroute it could completely derail your status qualification - and all not at your own fault.
The official line is that what is in the Terms and Conditions; there is nothing in there ( that I found ) that supports an entitlement to credit in such a situation

Would seem to be best to take an assumption, based on the T&Cs, that such credit will not be forthcoming when making such a routing change and accept any credit as a bonus

You could collect to AA or AS ( and potentially other schemes ) of course
Old Aug 9, 2017, 12:16 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
From the posts to date - it seems that it
was an AA ticket (001-) for travel on AA
the AA flight has issues and the passengers were rebooked on AS

The passenger wanted to collect points to BA
The rebooked AS flight is an ineligibe flight and BA is stating as such and refusing to credit
That's almost an accurate summary of the situation, except where you have finessed the end of the last sentence.

Unfortunately American Airlines will not credit the Avios and Tier Points for flights which you were rerouted from whether due to missed connections, technical issues or any other reasons. ...
Kind regards"
....I understand you wish to have the original flight you were booked onto AA775/09JUL credited instead of the Alaskan Airlines flight, however it is American Airlines policy not to do this ..."
BA is not refusing to credit. In fact they cannot credit the OP (other than as a service recovery gesture), in the same way that BA cannot credit Avios/TPs for flights on any partner line - they can only request the credit from the partner airline. Here they are refusing to pass on the request to AA, on the basis that they expect it to be denied (which may or may not be the case). The fact that AS flights are not eligible for TPs under the BAEC scheme is a red-herring, as the OP is not claiming for AS flight (rather for the flight this replaced).
Old Aug 9, 2017, 12:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

My understanding is that only BA can choose whether to make a credit for the flight in the same way that when original routing credit is requested with AA before taking a reroute that AA will be the one making the credit despite the flight taken

Since it is an AS flight, BA would be contacting AS for credit
Old Aug 9, 2017, 12:41 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond

No they wouldn't be, that's complete rubbish. They would be contacting AA.

If you get re-routed on a non oneworld airline like United do you think they contact them and ask them to credit? What do you think United response would be? Probably something along the lines of what on earth are TP and avios.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 1:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Senator
Maybe it's time to contact BAMissingAvios. When I requested ORC last year from AA it was declined by regular CS, I then contacted BAMissingAvios and my claim was processed within a few days.

BAMissingAvios would certainly know for sure if there was a policy change.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 6:15 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
As @KARFA states, that's not right at all. There are those of us who have received ORC after being rerouted onto a non-OW airline. As I said above, it's possible that I've been lucky in the past but it certainly wouldn't be because BA contacted the non-OW airline for them to credit TPs.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 6:27 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by golfmad
As @KARFA states, that's not right at all. There are those of us who have received ORC after being rerouted onto a non-OW airline. As I said above, it's possible that I've been lucky in the past but it certainly wouldn't be because BA contacted the non-OW airline for them to credit TPs.
Yes, so another point is you can double-dip on a re-route when you up on a non-oneworld airline. You can ORC for BAEC and then also do a retro-claim for the same non-oneworld flight to a *A or SkyTeam FFP.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, AS Gold MVP, IC RA, IHG Spire Elite, HH Diamond, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Had an additional email appear overnight from BA CS (not the GGL team). I haven't yet replied to the GGL team's last missive (the one posted upthread) so I guess they've internally routed this to the CS team:

"Dear opalfruit

Thank you for contacting the Executive Club - it's nice to hear from one of our Gold members.

I'm sorry to hear you were unable to take your original American Airlines flights on 9 July 2017 and was transferred on to alternative carrier. Please accept my apologies for the disruption to your travel and the inconvenience caused by this.

Unfortunately, we do not have direct access to American Airlines database and when a claim for missing awards is made we need to contact the Partner directly.

With this in mind, I've passed your original flight details to them to investigate your claim. This process can take up to 28 days to complete, but this timeframe is only given as a guide and I'm afraid cannot be guaranteed.

However, I would like to assure you as soon as I hear from American Airlines, I will contact you again.

I do hope the above information is helpful and if you have any further concerns about this case, you are welcome to contact me again by clicking on this link: www.ba.com/your case

Best regards"

So, they are now processing my ORC credit, or at least passing it to AA. I think.

I still think BA should have clear rules and guidance around claiming ORC - it really shouldn't be this hard.
golfmad and Oaxaca like this.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 7:31 pm

So, they are now processing my ORC credit, or at least passing it to AA. I think.
Yes, that sounds about right and is consistent with my experience. I think you'll receive the credit in due course. Please report back with the final outcome sometime in September once you hear. I'm not sure why you had such a hard time getting BA to pass it to AA for investigation.

Last edited by golfmad; Aug 9, 2017 at 7:44 pm
Old Aug 9, 2017, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by golfmad
Yes, that sounds about right and is consistent with my experience. I think you'll receive the credit in due course. Please report back with the final outcome sometime in September. I'm not sure why you had such a hard time getting BA to pass it to AA for investigation.
When I got credit for the bus ride BA had to pass it up to AA to verify the cancellation and unavailability of seats but it was processed very quickly.
Old May 27, 2018, 6:17 am

Had an additional email appear overnight from BA CS (not the GGL team). I haven't yet replied to the GGL team's last missive (the one posted upthread) so I guess they've internally routed this to the CS team:

"Dear opalfruit

Thank you for contacting the Executive Club - it's nice to hear from one of our Gold members.

I'm sorry to hear you were unable to take your original American Airlines flights on 9 July 2017 and was transferred on to alternative carrier. Please accept my apologies for the disruption to your travel and the inconvenience caused by this.

Unfortunately, we do not have direct access to American Airlines database and when a claim for missing awards is made we need to contact the Partner directly.

With this in mind, I've passed your original flight details to them to investigate your claim. This process can take up to 28 days to complete, but this timeframe is only given as a guide and I'm afraid cannot be guaranteed.

However, I would like to assure you as soon as I hear from American Airlines, I will contact you again.

I do hope the above information is helpful and if you have any further concerns about this case, you are welcome to contact me again by clicking on this link: www.ba.com/your case

Best regards"

I still think BA should have clear rules and guidance around claiming ORC - it really shouldn't be this hard.
What happened with this in the end @opalfruit ?
crazyarmadillo likes this.
Old May 27, 2018, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, AS Gold MVP, IC RA, IHG Spire Elite, HH Diamond, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
ORC was eventually credited a few weeks after I received this email.
crazyarmadillo and golfmad like this.
Old May 28, 2018, 7:22 am

ORC was eventually credited a few weeks after I received this email.
Great, thanks for the update which may be useful for others.
Old May 28, 2018, 8:57 am

This scenario reminds me of a JAL flight I had a few years back that was canceled due to the FedEx crash at NRT. My segment was MEX-YVR (I think) and it was part of a multi-segment ticket issued by LAN (probably EZE-SCL-MEX-YVR-JFK on LAN, JAL and Cathay). All being credited to BA...

I was re-accommodated from the JAL flight to a Mexicana flight on the same day - obviously much less comfortable (switched from J on a JAL 747 to approximate equivalent of Club Europe on Mexicana...) but obviously I was satisfied just to be able to fly... and I figured I'd chase the Tier points and miles later on, having no idea what a waste of time that would be.

There were several rounds of requests for original ticket receipt, boarding pass for flight actually taken, etc. etc. At some point I received something like the email mentioned above saying 28 days to wait for partner to reply and so on. Finally after what must have been over two months in total chasing this, I get an email explaining that JAL as operating carrier had refused to give ORC, as it's not their policy to do so. Would have been 120 tier points at the time, so I wasn't thrilled. It also made me think a bit less of oneworld than I had before that time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.