Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Compensation for no special meals on CE domestic out of LCY?

Compensation for no special meals on CE domestic out of LCY?

Old Aug 7, 17, 10:33 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Scots girl in London
Programs: BAEC Silver
Posts: 240
Smile Compensation for no special meals on CE domestic out of LCY?

hello all.

In the last 5 weeks I have taken 5 flights between LCY and GLA, all in CE. On each of these flights, my special meal has not been loaded (it's in my profile, and has been since I joined the BAEC). In that time, I also took a domestic flight GLA-LHR in CE, and the special meal was boarded no problem.

I understand from here that there is an issue at LCY and special meals, they may or may not be picked up and customers can't order them in advance. Before each of the flights, I called BAEC to get them to add the meal to my flight, each time they said they couldn't request it, but would place a note on my account. As above, each time, the note was not picked up.

I complained to BA, who have been pretty unhelpful. Their continued response has been along the lines of the most recent email:

"Unfortunately, under our polices and guidelines I'm unable to offer any compensation. I hope you'll understand we have to be consistent and fair to all our passengers and we can't make an exception this time. I know this wasn't the answer you were hoping for and I'm sorry for the disappointment."

Now, I know from FT and other blogs that this statement is not correct, BA has given compensation to passengers who have not had their special meals (or any meals!).

so my question is: what do I do now? Give up? Respond and point out cases where passengers have been given avios for no meals? I don't normally complain, but i'm actually quite annoyed about it! Am I being unreasonable in feeling annoyed?

Thanks in advance.
albpenny is offline  
Old Aug 7, 17, 11:15 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold; LH Senator; HHGold; Starwood Platinum
Posts: 1,337
Originally Posted by albpenny View Post
hello all.

In the last 5 weeks I have taken 5 flights between LCY and GLA, all in CE. On each of these flights, my special meal has not been loaded (it's in my profile, and has been since I joined the BAEC). In that time, I also took a domestic flight GLA-LHR in CE, and the special meal was boarded no problem.

I understand from here that there is an issue at LCY and special meals, they may or may not be picked up and customers can't order them in advance. Before each of the flights, I called BAEC to get them to add the meal to my flight, each time they said they couldn't request it, but would place a note on my account. As above, each time, the note was not picked up.

I complained to BA, who have been pretty unhelpful. Their continued response has been along the lines of the most recent email:

"Unfortunately, under our polices and guidelines I'm unable to offer any compensation. I hope you'll understand we have to be consistent and fair to all our passengers and we can't make an exception this time. I know this wasn't the answer you were hoping for and I'm sorry for the disappointment."

Now, I know from FT and other blogs that this statement is not correct, BA has given compensation to passengers who have not had their special meals (or any meals!).

so my question is: what do I do now? Give up? Respond and point out cases where passengers have been given avios for no meals? I don't normally complain, but i'm actually quite annoyed about it! Am I being unreasonable in feeling annoyed?

Thanks in advance.
What special meal is in your profile?

Have you gone into MMB to specifically select a meal choice?

Do you know if this is one that is offered by CitiFlyer?

I ask these questions as I used to have SFM in my profile - but it wasn't offered on all routes / cabins. Sometimes it would appear, and sometimes not. (SFM isn't offered at all now!).

I think the only way to be certain you will get a special meal is to do so under MMB and make a choice from the ones offered. Not just rely on your profile.

If you are saying you just cant pre-order Special Meals on LCY flights, and this has been confirmed to be the case before you've flown, then one cant really complain you didn't get one. I don't think having a special meal choice in your profile is going to suddenly magic one up! Nor do I think a nice note by the call centre will help either. That said, I have certainly seen Kosher meals provided on LCY CE flights, which is why I think they must have a shorter selection of what can be ordered. Switch to LHR if its that important to you.

Last edited by ukgooner; Aug 7, 17 at 11:27 am
ukgooner is offline  
Old Aug 7, 17, 11:26 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Scots girl in London
Programs: BAEC Silver
Posts: 240
Originally Posted by ukgooner View Post
What special meal is in your profile?

Have you gone into MMB to specifically select a meal choice?

Do you know if this is one that is offered by CitiFlyer?

I ask these questions as I used to have SFM in my profile - but it wasn't offered on all routes / cabins. Sometimes it would appear, and sometimes not. (SFM isn't offered at all now!).

I think the only way to be certain you will get a special meal is to do so under MMB and make a choice from the ones offered. Not just rely on your profile.
it's just a bog standard veggie meal, so nothing very special! Yes it's offered by Citiflyer, I've had it before no problems, most recently from LCY in CE domestic in April (and very nice it was too, hence why i deliberately booked my most recent flights to/from LCY).

Since CE was introduced on domestic, BA has removed the meal options from MMB for flights to/from LCY, so it's not possible to choose it, so I have to rely on my profile and calls to BAEC (to no avail). From what I've read on FT, it's a glitch (of sorts) as the meals are available, it's just that passengers depend on someone behind the scenes manually picking up on the SPML as it's not automatic detected. and for the past 5 flights, it hasn't been picked up.
albpenny is offline  
Old Aug 7, 17, 11:31 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold; LH Senator; HHGold; Starwood Platinum
Posts: 1,337
Originally Posted by albpenny View Post
it's just a bog standard veggie meal, so nothing very special! Yes it's offered by Citiflyer, I've had it before no problems, most recently from LCY in CE domestic in April (and very nice it was too, hence why i deliberately booked my most recent flights to/from LCY).

Since CE was introduced on domestic, BA has removed the meal options from MMB for flights to/from LCY, so it's not possible to choose it, so I have to rely on my profile and calls to BAEC (to no avail). From what I've read on FT, it's a glitch (of sorts) as the meals are available, it's just that passengers depend on someone behind the scenes manually picking up on the SPML as it's not automatic detected. and for the past 5 flights, it hasn't been picked up.
Is this just effecting CE on domestics then or the entire LCY network?

Im not sure its worth further complaint. As always the question you should ask is "what would you like them to do for you to resolve this?"and I'd think compensation is out of the question, particularly as you are well informed about this.
ukgooner is offline  
Old Aug 7, 17, 11:38 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 388
I'm not sure anyone could say the OP is 'informed' about the lack of a special meal when they are calling before every flight and ordering one, presumably not being 'informed' then that it is allegedly impossible, and also having succeeded in the past. It's pretty poor...
_nate is online now  
Old Aug 7, 17, 11:45 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: London Stratford, E7
Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Posts: 2,241
Originally Posted by albpenny View Post
hello all.

In the last 5 weeks I have taken 5 flights between LCY and GLA, all in CE. On each of these flights, my special meal has not been loaded (it's in my profile, and has been since I joined the BAEC). In that time, I also took a domestic flight GLA-LHR in CE, and the special meal was boarded no problem.

I understand from here that there is an issue at LCY and special meals, they may or may not be picked up and customers can't order them in advance. Before each of the flights, I called BAEC to get them to add the meal to my flight, each time they said they couldn't request it, but would place a note on my account. As above, each time, the note was not picked up.

I complained to BA, who have been pretty unhelpful. Their continued response has been along the lines of the most recent email:

"Unfortunately, under our polices and guidelines I'm unable to offer any compensation. I hope you'll understand we have to be consistent and fair to all our passengers and we can't make an exception this time. I know this wasn't the answer you were hoping for and I'm sorry for the disappointment."

Now, I know from FT and other blogs that this statement is not correct, BA has given compensation to passengers who have not had their special meals (or any meals!).

so my question is: what do I do now? Give up? Respond and point out cases where passengers have been given avios for no meals? I don't normally complain, but i'm actually quite annoyed about it! Am I being unreasonable in feeling annoyed?

Thanks in advance.
What you need to do is ask if this is a service they provide and go to,CEDR for each one they don't.. Or if you fly through LCY can you ask the TrM if your special meal has been loaded or remember you have a choice. What is keeping you flying BA with these multiple service failings?
KeaneJohn is offline  
Old Aug 8, 17, 9:28 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: London, UK
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 1,417
Especially given that flying CE out of LCY, the meal is the only material benefit, given that the seat and everything else are no different, this is tantamount to a J -> Y downgrade on each journey.
armouredant is offline  
Old Aug 8, 17, 9:54 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 168
Special meals on CE domestics from LCY are not available and can't be selected online. Don't know why, it's probably an oversight no one in catering has noticed.

The crew do notice though and said missing special meals have been happening frequently. I received 3,000 Avios for my non existent VLML, direct from the crew iPad.
gingeola is offline  
Old Aug 8, 17, 10:38 am
  #9  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 45,265
There is your answer. BA uses a formulaic approach to customer service gestures. E.g., "special meal x. LCY is 3,000 avios (maybe there's a status differential so OP gets 2,500 as a Silver).

I would simply send in a note. It is hard to quibble much about specific value given the cost of the meal in the first place.

I do agree with asking to make certain that your meal has been loaded. It's hardly a sophisticated undertaking which takes hours to prepare or something which is not likely sitting on the catering trucks.
Often1 is online now  
Old Aug 8, 17, 11:25 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Scots girl in London
Programs: BAEC Silver
Posts: 240
Thanks all!

@ukgooner - I became informed after the first flight in July, by which point i'd already booked the subsequent ones. I wasn't going to pay to change to fly from LHR/LGW so I tried to mitigate in advance by phoning up BAEC etc.

@KeaneJohn - as above i'd already booked the flights by the time the first service failing occurred. On each flight, there has been no meal option available, it tends to be fish or chicken. Going forward, as you note there is nothing keeping me from flying BA, particularly given the customer service I've received!

@gingeola that's really interesting. Twice the crew has taken my details on the ipad, but no avios proactively offered. If you wouldn't mind, would it be possible for you to let me know what date and flight you received avios on? PM if that is suitable.

@Often1 - I have sent in two notes so far to customer services, outlining what happened. They've refused to give any avios as "under our polices and guidelines I'm unable to offer any compensation. I hope you'll understand we have to be consistent and fair to all our passengers and we can't make an exception this time.". Which is a lie, as clearly there's discretion.

@armouredant - yup, given there's no lounge and the prices of food at LCY, I do think the meal onboard is the only advantage, but so far, it's not been good.
albpenny is offline  
Old Aug 9, 17, 11:07 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 190
Originally Posted by albpenny View Post
@armouredant - yup, given there's no lounge and the prices of food at LCY, I do think the meal onboard is the only advantage, but so far, it's not been good.
That and seat 2D
hypercrypt is offline  
Old Aug 9, 17, 2:13 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brighton, UK
Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Posts: 3,157
I love this board's obsession with LCY as the dream airport.

It offers no lounge so for anyone who needs to travel any sort of distance and who won't gamble that cars, trains, tubes, dlr, buses or taxes can get delayed, it is a soleless nightmare.

When you get to your CE seat, it is literally the same as a Y seat - not the reality elsewhere where there is no middle seat.

Then you can't have a special meal.

Super! And I defend BA?
FrancisA is offline  
Old Aug 9, 17, 2:26 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,227
Originally Posted by FrancisA View Post
I love this board's obsession with LCY as the dream airport.

It offers no lounge so for anyone who needs to travel any sort of distance and who won't gamble that cars, trains, tubes, dlr, buses or taxes can get delayed, it is a soleless nightmare.

When you get to your CE seat, it is literally the same as a Y seat - not the reality elsewhere where there is no middle seat.

Then you can't have a special meal.

Super! And I defend BA?
Just because you don't understand it, doesn't mean the LCY-lovers are wrong

No lounge required at LCY - if I turn up 20mins prior to departure, it is time to board my bus, sorry aircraft, for the very short hop over the channel.

I would, however, agree fully that CE is a pointless offering at LCY. Give me a Y seat, and I can grab a meal deal at Boots if I'm hungry.
rossmacd is offline  
Old Aug 9, 17, 2:33 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 87
Up until a week ago, special meal requests were coming back in the GDS as UN - Unable to Confirm - Not offered on this route.

So either a deliberate decision not to offer special meals on this route (perhaps due to the short flying times and single crew member) or an oversight when they introduced Club on Domestics.

It does appear to work now though (with 24 hours notice).

Given that the system was responding with a 'no' at the time the requests were being made, and BA were therefore stating the meals would not be loaded, I can understand the reluctance to compensate.
CitySlacker is offline  
Old Aug 9, 17, 2:47 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brighton, UK
Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Posts: 3,157
Originally Posted by rossmacd View Post
Just because you don't understand it, doesn't mean the LCY-lovers are wrong

No lounge required at LCY - if I turn up 20mins prior to departure, it is time to board my bus, sorry aircraft, for the very short hop over the channel.

I would, however, agree fully that CE is a pointless offering at LCY. Give me a Y seat, and I can grab a meal deal at Boots if I'm hungry.
But, unless you work on top of LCY, can you guarantee turning up 30 minutes before departure?

I work in London and I deal with its transport system daily. I get a tube from central London to central London. I miss a tube, the next one is ten minutes. If that is cancelled, 20 Minutes have gone.

When I get to LCY, would they have held the plane?

I am saying that as someone who works in central London. To me LCY only works if you are on top of it and of course if some else is paying!
FrancisA is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: