distance MUC-LHR fluctuating?

Old Aug 7, 2017, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, LH Senator
distance MUC-LHR fluctuating?

I recently noted some oddities concerning the distance between MUC and LHR.

For my flights between those airports I received slightly different amounts of avios quite as if the distance between those cities fluctuated.

(Just reporting the Tier Bonus Avios (=100% of miles distance) not to let different booking classes cause some confusion.)

Nov 2016: 578 Avios
Jan 2016: 580 Avios (LHR drifting away from the continent due to plate tectonics?)
Jul 2017: 590 Avios (Wow, didn't know continents moved so fast. So maybe some early repercussions of Brexit?)
Aug 2017: 578 Avios (LHR nearer to MUC again? Indication of a soft brexit? Reversion of continental drift? Or just more penny pinching by Cruz?)

Flights in July were AA coded, but that shouldn't make any difference, I thought.

Did anybody notice similar phenomena concerning other city pairs?
Old Aug 7, 2017, 7:30 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
The BA calculator indeed shows different amount of Avios when selecting BA or AA.

Maybe one airline uses the city center (where?) whereas the other uses the airport location as a reference? Since LHR is west of London and MUC east of Munich this could account for the 10mi difference?
Old Aug 7, 2017, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, LH Senator
Originally Posted by florens
Maybe one airline uses the city center (where?) whereas the other uses the airport location as a reference? Since LHR is west of London and MUC east of Munich this could account for the 10mi difference?
Maybe, but that wouldn't explain the discrepancy between the BA coded flights.

gcmap by the way is 587 miles.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.