Connecting QR to BA in ARN

Old Aug 6, 17, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, TK Elite
Connecting QR to BA in ARN

Hello all... I'm booked on a QR flight into ARN (arriving T5) and connecting to a BA flight (departing T2). This is booked as two tickets without checked bags in J and on an EU passport.

Is there an easy airside connection? How much time should I budget?
Old Aug 6, 17, 1:37 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond and A3*G
Originally Posted by LCY8737 View Post
Hello all... I'm booked on a QR flight into ARN (arriving T5) and connecting to a BA flight (departing T2). This is booked as two tickets without checked bags in J and on an EU passport.

Is there an easy airside connection? How much time should I budget?
It's an easy landside connection which I did in IIRC around 25 minutes ambling slowly, however, if Sweden immigration control is now scanning passports fully instead of just glancing at the photo page it may take slightly longer.

I believe there is a way to do it airside but it may require you to attract the attention of somebody to open up the transit security checkpoint.

Is the QR flight the morning, afternoon or night arrival?

My QR flight arrived at 0600 (winter schedule) and I would have easily made the first BA flight - I actually made it to the check-in desks before the cut-off time for the first flight, but I had booked the second BA flight which resulted in spending far too long in the mediocre lounge at ARN.
Old Aug 6, 17, 1:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC nobody (thankfully)
T5 to T2 is a decent walk. You can also take a connector train but pretty easy to walk in between, I would allow 20 mins depending on how fast you walk
Old Aug 6, 17, 1:54 pm

I managed it in about 15 mins, it was a fast walk. It was the same day as the attack in Stockholm. I was hand luggage only.
Old Aug 6, 17, 1:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Gold
I did this in May and they seemed to be scanning passports and it didn't take that long to get through immigration on each occasion.

Even with 2 tickets QR will check through to other OneWorld airlines (see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...ar-2017-a.html ), so you should just be able to go straight to T2. I believe there is an airside option, but the walk isn't that long (around 15-20 mins all undercover) and I was advised to go to BA check in to give them my bag tags.
Old Aug 7, 17, 2:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, TK Elite
Thank you all! I'm on the evening QR flight, hoping to make the last BA flight of the day, which is a 1h20 connection time. Sounds like this is very doable then.
Old Aug 7, 17, 6:56 am

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
Originally Posted by LCY8737 View Post
Thank you all! I'm on the evening QR flight, hoping to make the last BA flight of the day, which is a 1h20 connection time. Sounds like this is very doable then.
Well, I personally wouldn't do this, or I would be prepared to overnight and/or buy a new ticket...

...QR docks at the international F gates at the far end of T5. It's about a 10 minute walk to the T5 customs, assuming there's no flight before you, and you don't break a stride for immigration. Only then is it a 15-20 min walk from T5 to T2. And then you'll need to pass security and upstairs through immigration at T2. It's a good 40 minutes gate to gate, assuming no queues at all

While you will easily make this if everything is on time, it won't take much of an inbound delay or queue at passport control for you to miss your flight (albeit the last BA flight might well be delayed too)

There is an airside bus, apparently, but it operates on demand, so you may need to wait even longer if you miss one...
Old Aug 7, 17, 7:01 am
Senior Mod and Moderator: Aegean Miles&Bonus and British Airways

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Spire
I did this connection in May, albeit coming off a SK flight, with a slightly longer window of 1h35 on unprotected tickets - which made me a bit nervous!

There are both airside and landside options - I've done both, and there's not much between them on a Schengen to non-Schengen transfer. As you're on non-Schengen to non-Schengen, I suspect the airside route will be quicker for you. What I'm not clear on is whether you'll get a security check somewhere though - I had a US-CPH-ARN itinerary, and so far as Schengen is concerned the US is a trusted country. I'm not sure if you'll find the same with Qatar.

The airside route for me involved passport control (which presumably you won't have), down into the basement area (signed as a gate, iirc), telephone for airside bus transfer, 10 minute wait, 5 minute bus ride direct to the BA gate, then up the stairs into the gate area.

I took the landside route last time, and I think I went from plane to lounge in well under 20 minutes, albeit security at T2 was completely empty.
Old Aug 7, 17, 8:50 am

Programs: BA Gold; SQ Gold; AA Platinum; Hyatt Discoverist; Hilton Gold
I've done the airside transfer QR-BA and it is very easy, with a personal security check and your own bus, so it isn't a problem from that perspective. There is a button to press near the security point and you wait for someone to come and check you and put you on the bus. It delivers you to the non-Schengen gate area though, which is after passport control and with no access to the lounge or any refreshment or shopping option other than a vending machine. When we did it, we had a fairly long layover and luckily managed to knock on the window and negotiate our way through passport control backwards or it would have been a very boring few hours.
Old Aug 7, 17, 8:54 am
Senior Mod and Moderator: Aegean Miles&Bonus and British Airways

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Spire
Originally Posted by mgiarc View Post
It delivers you to the non-Schengen gate area though, which is after passport control and with no access to the lounge or any refreshment or shopping option other than a vending machine. When we did it, we had a fairly long layover and luckily managed to knock on the window and negotiate our way through passport control backwards or it would have been a very boring few hours.
I had exactly the same with a very, very long layover - the thought of being stuck in that gate for something like 4-5 hours was not particularly appealing, although fortunately in the end I managed to get moved onto the earlier flight because I was on a plus Y ticket. The immigration officers were extremely helpful and let me through to go to the lounge, so I suspect it's a fairly routine thing even though it looks like you shouldn't be able to do it.
Old Aug 7, 17, 9:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK, DL, IHG Spire, HHonours Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
I did this the same in June with two checked bags. QR interlined them but for some reason when I walked past the belt one of my bags was on it! I took it to baggage services who sorted it (it made it to LHR). The queue for passport control was 10-15 mins IIRC, so with those two hitches I still had time to pop to the lounge for the toilet and a drink. All in all about 45 mins from walking off the plane to getting up the stairs in T2 (left going to lounge and right for passport check)

I did it landside connection. Assuming you land in time then it can be done easily.

There can be queues for T2 security but if your on J class you should be through quickly with the fast track gate on the left side.

I took the fairly short connection risk because if I missed it then the cost of a oneway from ARN to LHR isn't going to break the bank compared to a long haul.
Old Aug 7, 17, 12:24 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, United 1K, Avis Presidents Club, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold Elite
A useful thread- for me anyway- as I am planning this trip in Sept, arr ARN T5 on QR from DOH (arr. 2000)and transiting to T2 for the last BA flight to LHR (dep.2120), with 1h20 if everything is running on schedule.

To de-risk, we will be HBO as it seems interlining on separate PNRs cant be guaranteed...

The question is whether to leg it landside and risk the passport/security checks, or to stick airside and risk the wait for the 'bus on demand'. Seems to be very little in it- does anyone have a view having tried them both?
Old Aug 7, 17, 4:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold; SQ Gold; AA Platinum; Hyatt Discoverist; Hilton Gold
I haven't tried landside, but if you are HBO and have a short connection, I would go airside. It's pretty painless and you won't have much time to kill in the non-Schengen holding tank.