What is LHR - LAX like on British Airways?

Old Aug 3, 17, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

What is LHR - LAX like on British Airways?

I'm booking a flight to go from Dublin to London and then to Los Angeles at the end of August. using sky scanner, this seems to be the cheapest ticket along with what people have said is a significantly better service compared to using Aer Lingus.

I'm torn between the two though because if I use Aer Lingus, I'll go straight from DUB to LAX and perhaps go through US pre-clearance. However, I might have to contend with mediocre service.

Has anyone gone on one of these flights? If so, what is it like?
Old Aug 3, 17, 1:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Which cabin is pretty key, and which aircraft? From October its 744 / 789 / A380 pretty much daily. Oh, and when ?!
Old Aug 3, 17, 1:37 pm

Programs: BA GCH
Note: Ethiopian Airlines also fly direct Dublin to Los Angeles.
Old Aug 3, 17, 1:44 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by acidicsystems View Post
If so, what is it like?
It's really far too open ended a question. However, here are some BA trip reports that you may find insightful:

Video Trip Report: BA A380 Club World LHR to LAX
British Airways A380 F LHR - SFO / LAX - LHR
Live-ish Trip Report and mileage run. LHR-DUB-LHR-LAX-HNL-PHX-LAX-JFK-MIA-PTY-MIA-MCO
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...x-lhr-edi.html
Old Aug 3, 17, 1:51 pm
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
ECONOMY CLASS

If Aer Lingus you benefit from the 2 - 4 - 2 seating providing you can obtain one of the two seats on the A330, so a little bit more space.

Though BA in economy on the A380 on the upper deck at the back has 2 - 4 - 2 seating in economy also.

I think they are almost on Par in economy.

PREMIUM ECONOMY
only an option with BA

BUSINESS CLASS
For this I would personally pick Aer Lingus for the Thomson Vantage seat, which I think is now installed on all the A330's though I could be mistaken.
Old Aug 3, 17, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
If you're going to cross the Atlantic in Economy, the BA A380 on the upper deck is probably the least unpleasant way to do so (among the generally available possibilities).
Old Aug 3, 17, 3:13 pm
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Also, don't expect stellar service on BA in economy either - not because of an issue with staff particularly, but simply out of you-get-what-you-pay-for and that's basically a seat from A to B.
Old Aug 3, 17, 3:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by V10 View Post
Also, don't expect stellar service on BA in economy either - not because of an issue with staff particularly, but simply out of you-get-what-you-pay-for and that's basically a seat from A to B.
I don't think that's correct. I believe that there are still meal services and a bar service and IFE, as well as said seat.
Old Aug 3, 17, 3:24 pm

I'd pick Aer Lingus in any case:
economy: the seat and service will be same / similar (poor), therefore I would use the advantage of a direct flight and US pre-clearance
business: I like the Aer Lingus seat better than the CW one

Last edited by jan8; Aug 4, 17 at 1:44 am
Old Aug 3, 17, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jan8 View Post
I'll pick Aer Lingus in any case:
economy: the seat and service will be same / similar (poor), therefore I'll use the advantage of a direct flight and US pre-clearance
business: I like the Aer Lingus seat better than the CW one
And not to go off topic too much but is US pre-clearance mandatory if flying directly to the States?

What's is it like landing in LAX after clearing in Dublin compared to taking British Airways from London and going through checks there?
Old Aug 3, 17, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
And not to go off topic too much but is US pre-clearance mandatory if flying directly to the States?

What's is it like landing after clearing it?
Yes, you must use pre-clearance if it is available for your flight. If you use it, when you get to the US you just grab your bags and walk out the door, like it was a domestic flight. Coming from LHR, you would have to go through US immigration which can be quite quick or quite slow, collect your bags, and then stand in line for US customs. How long the process takes depends on how many other international arrivals are at the same time. If you are one of the first people to immigration, it shouldn't take long. Get there at the same time as several other widebodies, and you will be in line a lot longer.
Old Aug 3, 17, 4:26 pm

I'm torn between the two though because if I use Aer Lingus, I'll go straight from DUB to LAX and perhaps go through US pre-clearance. However, I might have to contend with mediocre service.

From experience... you have a higher possibility of mediocre service on BA than you do on Aer Lingus. Coupled with US pre clearance and a nonstop from Dublin it's a no brainer.
Old Aug 3, 17, 4:36 pm
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences View Post
I don't think that's correct. I believe that there are still meal services and a bar service and IFE, as well as said seat.
I think it's more correct than you think. Sometimes it suits BA to say such services are complimentary and don't form a part of the fare paid too.
Old Aug 3, 17, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Why would you not want pre-clearance?
Old Aug 3, 17, 4:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by V10 View Post
I think it's more correct than you think. Sometimes it suits BA to say such services are complimentary and don't form a part of the fare paid too.
Not on LHR-LAX which is what this thread is about.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: