Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA or AA to MIA/DFW in J?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2017, 4:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I'd agree with AA over BA in J, especially on the AA 77W (and especially over anything on BA other than Upper Deck on a 747...).

To those recommending AA Westbound and BA on the overnight return - I'm not sure that makes much sense for a routing through DFW or MIA. On the short East Coast route (e.g. JFK, ORD, IAD etc.) it makes sense to choose BA for the "sleeper service" (i.e. proper meal in the lounge and lights out to sleep ASAP once on board). But neither MIA nor DFW offer "sleeper service" on BA. On AA out of MIA, the "express meal" had me fully fed and lying down to sleep within an hour of take-off, which is as quick (probably quicker) than anything BA will manage in Club World. And, for my money, the AA seat is much more comfortable for sleeping than BA (I like Club World for lounging, but for a night sleeping it's not ideal whereas I slept really well on AA from MIA to LHR recently).
Old Aug 2, 2017, 4:28 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
It is in no way superior enough to ever suggest transferring onto a what could be a much lesser plane for the second leg plus US customs and a minimum of at least an extra 2 hours travel time.
To each their own. I can't stand BW CW hard product and anything other than UD 747 would cause me to take lengths to avoid it especially on a long sector like MIA/Central America.

Never mind that AA MIA to Lima should have international configuration options, something that is unlikely on the (admittedly shorter) SJO to Peru flight.

But in any event, not sure 2 hours extra travel time is really accurate.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 5:12 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
AA no question asked......
Old Aug 2, 2017, 5:37 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
It is in no way superior enough to ever suggest transferring onto a what could be a much lesser plane for the second leg plus US customs and a minimum of at least an extra 2 hours travel time.
I would have to disagree. Just did LHR LAX via JFK. 777-200 rear facing direct aisle seat followed by 321T transcon with 101 passengers. Yes it added time but the improved experience outweighs for me any added time. I was comfortable, able to move freely, well fed and treated well. The return followed the same route but with the benefit of 777-300. This seat is in my view as good as BA F and certainly a country mile ahead of Club. It is also the only way of getting back to the UK for 6am from the West coast.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 5:39 am

The other major advantage of AA on the outbound is that you will depart from T3 allowing you to use the Cathay lounges.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 5:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, EK, UA, MK
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I don't mean to sound pedantic but there are literally dozens of threads comparing every iteration of AA J vs BA J where op can find the aspects of the comparison that they will find most relevant.
You weren't being pedantic...I realise that this is far from a new topic and there are indeed a load of threads comparing the respective products. I know the subject well enough but as you can see I'm new to FT. But I thought by narrowing it down a bit (routes, dates) I might get some useful input, which I definitely have, particularly as regards MIA. I've spent plenty time there in the "hell-hole" days, and have avoided it for the last 5 years, so good to know the experience has generally improved.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 5:51 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Global Entry
I've just done AA (77W) LHR-MIA (coming back on BA 744).

Absolutely loved the AA experience in Biz. Cabin crew were superb and the product is significantly ahead of BA CW imo.

We also sailed through MIA immigration. No queues at either the machines or the desks. Although bags took 25 mins to appear on the carousel.

I'll be opting for AA J where possible from now on.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 5:51 am

Programs: AA PP, OZ *G, Hyatt Expl, Marriott Gold, Lots of Ex-statuses
Can someone elaborate on why the AA west and BA eastbound? Is it because of the differences in "sleeper service"? I don't know what planes AA flys to MIA but I am booked on AA J 77W LHR-DFW in a month and I think the new AA J is 1000x better than any BA J seat. I understand the appeal of 747 UD, but beyond that what is the reason for BA J over AA J?
Old Aug 2, 2017, 6:00 am

See my comment above - I think some posters have been repeating the "traditional wisdom" of using BA (over AA) for Eastbound overnight TATL flights...but to my mind the only cases that makes sense is on the short East Coast routes where BA offer a true "sleeper service". There is no "sleeper service" on either MIA or DFW on BA; and on AA the "express meal" option is very quick, plus the seats in J are very private so with an eye mask you can sleep even if other passengers are still dining.

So for this route, I'd still say AA Eastbound as well in J since the seat is better for sleeping than BA (in my view). The new AA arrivals lounge in Terminal 3 is also just as good as the BA one in T5 - good showers and decent breakfast, even if the room is a little smaller.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 6:02 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Global Entry
In my case I was hedging my bets having not actually used AA Biz before. We are 744 UD on the return, which is also a factor, but I would very happily fly AA both ways in J now.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 6:10 am

Programs: BA bronze
Having recently flown

BA Upper deck in Club to Denver

AA business out of Miami

I would recommend AA over BA

Old Aug 2, 2017, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, EK, UA, MK
Just to add another quick question if I may (...and I know there will be another thread on this somewhere, so apologies!). Does AA allow seat selection in J at booking? My BA status won't reappear until later this year so I would have to pay for seat reservations.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by AJBChina
Just to add another quick question if I may (...and I know there will be another thread on this somewhere, so apologies!). Does AA allow seat selection in J at booking? My BA status won't reappear until later this year so I would have to pay for seat reservations.
Yes, free seat selection for all AA J customers, irrespective of status.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 7:05 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Oneworld, *A; Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by AJBChina
Yep
Old Aug 2, 2017, 7:09 am

the other upside being that - on the 77W at any rate - all seats in the J cabin are much more "equal" than in BA Club World; they are all effectively solo seats...even the centre "pairs" are not really pairs for couples but just inward-facing versions of the "solo" window seats; all seats have direct aisle access; other than avoiding one row which has a misplaced window and possibly avoiding being by the galley/loo for an overnight, all seats are more or less the same...except if you can get into the "mini-cabin" which is always nice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.