Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA or AA to MIA/DFW in J?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2017, 8:12 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by Rowyourboat
Can someone elaborate on why the AA west and BA eastbound?
To me it's because of EC261, in case of (big) delay. IB & AY work as well for that
Old Aug 2, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sunshinebob
Can you fly to Costa Rica directly from London on BA and hook up a connection from there? Its a newish 787 , J is very comfortable as I found recently and it saves all that transiting in the US malarkey....
When does the 787 fly to SJO? I can only see a LGW 777.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 9:27 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Originally Posted by Gomac
When does the 787 fly to SJO? I can only see a LGW 777.
I'm pretty sure it's a case of the wrong San Jose. SJC has the 787 ex-LHR.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by gustavmahler
I'm pretty sure it's a case of the wrong San Jose. SJC has the 787 ex-LHR.
Thought so, that's a shame it would have made that route a lot more attractive.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 9:59 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott, IHG, Sirius, Dusit, Thai, Virgin, Hyatt, BAA, AS, AA(both)
Originally Posted by Gomac
Thought so, that's a shame it would have made that route a lot more attractive.
Flying to Liberia would make the route more attractive ! But the three class 777's really are now showing their ages, subbing a 4 class 777-300 would be perfect.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, EK, UA, MK
Originally Posted by E14 26C
Flying to Liberia would make the route more attractive ! But the three class 777's really are now showing their ages, subbing a 4 class 777-300 would be perfect.
I've got one 772 in J ex-LGW coming up (promo fare for the OAK route) and that'll probably be one too many for this year! Though if I set my expectations accordingly I'm sure it'll be fine......
Old Aug 2, 2017, 10:39 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Recent (booked on AA.COM)

outbound : LHR-MIA (BA 747)
inbound: MIA-LHR (AA 2-Class 777, other AA 777 has F seats and also more J seats)

LHR-T3, so use of CX lounge recomnmended.

BA
o Upper deck seating 62k is a great seat, would not want to sit on main deck
o Choose one of limited number of J seats you can access w/o scrambling over your neighbour
o IFE is old, did not work (a repetitive issue on BA's old 747)
o No internet service available
o Food is soso, neither good or bad.

AA
o 1-2-1 seating all seats equally good
o The AA seat is bigger+better+modern
o IFE is modern, more choice of channels, bigger screens
o Internet (chargeable) available
o Food slightly better than BAs option, but not outstanding

On balance I would take AAs offering due to the 1-2-1 J seating, newer working IFE and wifi. Food on AA/BA is a wash for me.

No downside on either AA/BA LHR-MIA, but MIA-LHR BA is covered by EC261 (whilst AA is not)
Old Aug 2, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott, IHG, Sirius, Dusit, Thai, Virgin, Hyatt, BAA, AS, AA(both)
Originally Posted by scubaccr
Recent (booked on AA.COM)

outbound : LHR-MIA (BA 747)
inbound: MIA-LHR (AA 2-Class 777, other AA 777 has F seats and also more J seats)

LHR-T3, so use of CX lounge recomnmended.

BA
o Upper deck seating 62k is a great seat, would not want to sit on main deck
o Choose one of limited number of J seats you can access w/o scrambling over your neighbour
o IFE is old, did not work (a repetitive issue on BA's old 747)
o No internet service available
o Food is soso, neither good or bad.

AA
o 1-2-1 seating all seats equally good
o The AA seat is bigger+better+modern
o IFE is modern, more choice of channels, bigger screens
o Internet (chargeable) available
o Food slightly better than BAs option, but not outstanding

On balance I would take AAs offering due to the 1-2-1 J seating, newer working IFE and wifi. Food on AA/BA is a wash for me.

No downside on either AA/BA LHR-MIA, but MIA-LHR BA is covered by EC261 (whilst AA is not)

You forgot the boarding
AA regimented, BA, well they are close to Twickenham
Old Aug 2, 2017, 1:51 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, SPG Gold
So I have return tix FCO-LHR-SAN on BA F. However, I could also AA J (assuming availability) or AF J with their Flying Blue promo (FCO-CDG-YVR on their new 777 lie-flat J) for 46,875 Chase points (1:1 transfer).

So:
1. BA F (70K AS) FCO-LHR-SAN-PDX
2. AA J (50 K AS - availability might be issue)
3. AF J (47 K Chase)

I'm thinkin option 1 or 3 might be the best bet - heard good things about AF new J on the 777. But I've never flown up in the nose of the 747 and always have wanted to. Thoughts?
Old Aug 2, 2017, 9:25 pm

I don't know where or to what aircraft you will connect to, but on AA v BA alone I much prefer the AA 77W than any version of BA Club World, although my flights are from HKG with their apparently improved service. I haven't done a transatlantic flight on it.

You also get to use the CX lounge in T3 which is much nicer than anything in T5.

Plus, you will pay a few hundred dollars to select seats on BA. That would cement the decision for me.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 3:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pdxparse
So I have return tix FCO-LHR-SAN on BA F. However, I could also AA J (assuming availability) or AF J with their Flying Blue promo (FCO-CDG-YVR on their new 777 lie-flat J) for 46,875 Chase points (1:1 transfer).

So:
1. BA F (70K AS) FCO-LHR-SAN-PDX
2. AA J (50 K AS - availability might be issue)
3. AF J (47 K Chase)

I'm thinkin option 1 or 3 might be the best bet - heard good things about AF new J on the 777. But I've never flown up in the nose of the 747 and always have wanted to. Thoughts?
Flying in the front of the 747 is definitely a "pro" if you've never done it. It's not an experience that'll be around for too much longer so you should consider. I've done it quite a lot over many years but these days I suspect each time may be the last so try to make the most of it. Did LHR-PHX-LHR a couple of months back and even for the jaded traveller it's still a bit special!
Old Aug 7, 2017, 3:25 am
Original Poster

I've now completed my booking and thanks to all for their input. Unfortunately a combination of pricing and scheduling (I still don't quite trust MIA enough to accept short transit times) have us on BA metal both ways. UD on 744 in 63AB outbound (62 and 64 unavailable, will keep an eye out to see if this changes). Return on the 380 : I've done 50 trips on the 380 to date but none on BA as yet (guess who's getting my Asia business...!) so I just have one final question to close out this thread - does 53A on the 380 UD have free aisle access like rows 62/64 on the 744? Per the seat map it looks like it does but I can't be sure - tried a quick trawl of the seating threads but can't see a specific reference to this, though I'm sure it'll be in there somewhere.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 3:28 am

Originally Posted by AJBChina
I've now completed my booking and thanks to all for their input. Unfortunately a combination of pricing and scheduling (I still don't quite trust MIA enough to accept short transit times) have us on BA metal both ways. UD on 744 in 63AB outbound (62 and 64 unavailable, will keep an eye out to see if this changes). Return on the 380 : I've done 50 trips on the 380 to date but none on BA as yet (guess who's getting my Asia business...!) so I just have one final question to close out this thread - does 53A on the 380 UD have free aisle access like rows 62/64 on the 744? Per the seat map it looks like it does but I can't be sure - tried a quick trawl of the seating threads but can't see a specific reference to this, though I'm sure it'll be in there somewhere.
It does although its a bit of a contortion act to get in/out if you're tall. Still, its the best CW seat on the plane imo.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 4:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1010101
It does although its a bit of a contortion act to get in/out if you're tall. Still, its the best CW seat on the plane imo.
Thanks - that's the way it appears on the seat maps...no climbing, but a bit of a squeeze. Should be OK, I'm not that tall

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.