Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Full flight; forced gate check of hand baggage in CE; bins empty.

Old Jul 31, 17, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold

Does anyone know the logic (or at least reason) behind forcing CE pax to gate check carry-on baggage on full flights, when there is ample bin space in CE for CE passengers? It is extremely annoying to pay extra for CE, then be randomly selected for a gate check, only to board and see empty bins in CE.
Old Jul 31, 17, 1:58 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Nordic Choice Hotels Silver, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by LochAwe View Post
Does anyone know the logic (or at least reason) behind forcing CE pax to gate check carry-on baggage on full flights, when there is ample bin space in CE for CE passengers? It is extremely annoying to pay extra for CE, then be randomly selected for a gate check, only to board and see empty bins in CE.
Just kindly decline to gate check the bag.
Old Jul 31, 17, 1:59 pm
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
No logic, just a senseless approach from under-trained staff who have no regard for the fact that you have paid extra.
Old Jul 31, 17, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Just to clarify was that fully compliant cabin luggage? If so I see no reason indeed and it is very poor form.
Old Jul 31, 17, 2:52 pm

At LCY gate staff have a target number of bags to capture based on the aircraft loading and are now refusing to start boarding until they hit that target. They do this through a combination of carrot (priority boarding for anyone who gives up a bag) and stick (repeated passive aggressive messages about the flight being delayed until they get the required number of bags).

What makes it worse is that they don't bother leaving the podium to actually see how many large bags are being carried out. City flights have a lot of same day out and back and weekly commuters who only travel with a personal item.
Old Jul 31, 17, 3:42 pm

Programs: BA Silver
It makes me laugh that they offer priority boarding as a reward for gate checking bags. If you don't have any bags to squeeze into the overhead bins, what exactly is the point in priority boarding? Just more time crammed into a rock hard seat!
Old Jul 31, 17, 4:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
At the risk of sounding DYKWIA I think that CE pax and elites should be targeted last. One of the few remaining advantages of CE is the ability to de-plane and be on your way quickly. Having to check a bag can thus create a very significant delay.
Old Jul 31, 17, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Jetstreamer View Post
It makes me laugh that they offer priority boarding as a reward for gate checking bags. If you don't have any bags to squeeze into the overhead bins, what exactly is the point in priority boarding? Just more time crammed into a rock hard seat!
Gate-check one bag, and retain another one that is much larger than what most others take on board...
Old Jul 31, 17, 4:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Southlondonbonviveur View Post
At the risk of sounding DYKWIA I think that CE pax and elites should be targeted last. One of the few remaining advantages of CE is the ability to de-plane and be on your way quickly. Having to check a bag can thus create a very significant delay.
Regardless of cabin class, if the cabin baggage is not in compliance with the limits for cabin baggage, it should not be allowed

The OP has not clarified whether those selected had cabin baggage that was within the permitted limits
Old Jul 31, 17, 8:53 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by Southlondonbonviveur View Post
Provided the bags are compliant then I fully agree, CE & Gold should be the bottom of the list.
Old Jul 31, 17, 9:05 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun View Post
Provided the bags are compliant then I fully agree, CE & Gold should be the bottom of the list.
i personally don't believe taking unreasonable carry on luggage should be a gold benefit.

What has caused this mess is a selfish attitude amongst passengers who are all far far too important to wait for luggage on arrival so stuff the bins on the plane instead.

I'd like to see the rules tightened, not relaxed.
Old Jul 31, 17, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by smokie36 View Post
I'd like to see the rules tightened, not relaxed.
I'd just prefer to see the current ones enforced.
Keeping the club bins closed would go a long way to preserve overhead space for those passengers sat there.

As others have said they should target Y first and in particular HBO.... Which is where I feel there is a direct link to the issue. Yellow tagging the smaller stuff is just passive aggressive and most end up ripped off on the air bridge anyway. Just get the sizers out (like GB Airways used to do, like Monarch still do) and enforce it. If it's too big and regardless to whether there is room in the cabin it goes in the hold. Then everyone knows the score.

I can also see this puts additional pressure on the dispatcher and gate agents who will be on a time critical countdown to departure. Indeed I've heard a dispatcher tell a purser he's not opening the hold when there's been too much carry on to store because it'll delay the departure and they'll just have to find "somewhere". Some crew may get creative and find room on the flight deck or fill a wardrobe but they're not meant to. If it were managed properly in the terminal from the outset then it wouldn't be a problem.
Old Jul 31, 17, 10:36 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/AA-Ex Plat/HY- LT Globalist/BA-CCR/GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by Jetstreamer View Post
That is what I used to think, but a recent LCY-DUB showed me that there is a clever way to manipulate this.

Family of 4 all with roller bags and a small bag. Check at the gate two of the 4 roller bags and lo, early boarding AND most bags in the cabin!

One of them got an OpUp to Club, and when I boarded, as a lowly Gold the Club bins were full.

Have to admire them!
Old Jul 31, 17, 10:39 pm

I was on an AA flight in the US earlier this year where a similar thing happened to an economy passenger. She was told to gate check her luggage and after boarding complained that there was space in the economy bins.

She demanded her baggage back, claiming that the crew had lied about this. Net result was that the cabin crew then kicked her off the flight! She was somewhat argumentative but not ridiculously so and the CC seemed very heavy handed about it.

So could be worse on BA!
Old Jul 31, 17, 10:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club
Originally Posted by GrahamClarke View Post
I was on an AA flight in the US earlier this year where a similar thing happened to an economy passenger. She was told to gate check her luggage and after boarding complained that there was space in the economy bins.

She demanded her baggage back, claiming that the crew had lied about this. Net result was that the cabin crew then kicked her off the flight! She was somewhat argumentative but not ridiculously so and the CC seemed very heavy handed about it.

So could be worse on BA!
Is there ever a way to win an argument with ground staff / crew? Surely they can always use the argument of 'Pax was disruptive / argumentative / failed to follow crew instructions' etc and simply offload? All feels very one sided.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: