Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAG Half Year 2017 Results

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2017, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
The option is more likely to be b).

Especially amongst those on here who rarely have a good word to say about BA.
it could be all three. I have status, get it without much BA travel and have been in financial analysis for 25 years, long enough to be able to see through the spin on here (on both sides).

as stated before they are decent results, WW has played a smart hand with the strategy so far, but with the oil savings booked and the integration/common platform largely complete I would anticipate a change of tack from 2018 onwards with a focus on income.

i wouldn't have thought the coverage was very glowing. BBC led with the cost oft he IT saga and Independent with some guy who wished QR could operate all BA flights. Fair dos though, share price flat on the day suggesting BA delivered what was expected.

​​​​​​​Of the airlines I would say BA is one of the better investments but one of the less attractive means of conveyance.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 8:18 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
Originally Posted by simons1
but still a very odd thing to say bearing in mind a) just because a poster shows no status it doesn't mean they don't have status/use BA regularly and b) you can have status without ever travelling BA and c) the thread is about BA results and you don't need to travel on BA to be a financial analyst.

​​​​​​​i just don't get why you would need to make that comment.
The comment wasn't just do with this thread. There are some posters who quite obviously do not like BA and use any thread to fuel the anti BA sentiment. When as a long time flyer with Virgin I became that disgruntled with how I was being treat as a passenger I switched my service provider initially using the cheapest but settling eventually on BA due to their network and its Ronseal service (It does what it says on the tin.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 8:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by simons1
​​​​​​​Of the airlines I would say BA is one of the better investments but one of the less attractive means of conveyance.
Yes it's strange how an airline so bad in quality can attract so many customers and investors, especially when there is so much competition out there.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 8:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by PJSMITH0
I too find it amusing that certain contributors who quite clearly dislike BA and don't appear to fly with them regularly (no status shown) spend so much time on the BA forum taking every opportunity to have a pop at BA's management. Personally I'm happy with the way BA is going. If and when I find myself in SH economy I will much appreciate BOB as I prefer to choose what I eat. CE is what it is but it works for me and obviously thousands more. LH I have never had any reason to complain about the F product and being a gold in CW I have always managed to get a window seat with no climb over. The BAEC works great for me the 2-4-1 are tremendous value on LH F. I have been reading of the doom and gloom every time BA changes or "cuts" it's offering and how good the opposition are, yet it's the opposition who are loosing the money and having to re-examine their business models. Finally in defence of AC. I emailed him direct regarding on the ground experience at LHR and the next day I was contacted by telephone and the one area where he could action (secret door) was dealt with with 48 hours.

I would suggest that your experience in travelling BA is quite different to say statusless passengers and the 2-3 times a year flyer.

I am a little disheartened at these results. On the whole BA is usually quite good. It has its pros and cons. CW apart from CWLCY is my opinion is inferior to say AA J class. CE on the sectors that I fly has been downgraded due to the changes in catering. The lounges are Okish.. At NCL MAN EDI, GLA and formally ABZ I would have said pretty good. I was happy with GC until I enjoyed the CX lounge in T3 and seems like a lot of people agree accoriding to a thread on here.

Basically I read this as BA is doing OK on its current path so after BOB , MF. what is next on their list of cuts. WW crew so they hack them off so much that a lot think right I'm off so you get more inexperienced MF serving you in First.

Im flying more in premium classes as a result in FT and have had status for a while now but I'm also seeing a lot more OMG moments with BA
Old Jul 29, 2017, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Yes it's strange how an airline so bad in quality can attract so many customers and investors, especially when there is so much competition out there.
it may be strange to you but those of us living in Europe have watched the likes of Ryanair grow to carry 130m passengers this year without much in the way of quality.

you could substitute Jet2, Wizz, Norwegian etc in that.

i suppose BA are thinking that if you can't beat them, join them?
Old Jul 29, 2017, 12:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Originally Posted by Quarky Quark
Anecdotally I note amongst frequent and non-frequent flyer friends and colleagues who aren't on FT that none of them have anything positive to say with regard to BA. This may be unrepresentative of the wider community, but not from my point of view.

Going back to to the actual figures, I would expect costs to be falling further in H2 once the staff payout and redundancy numbers have fallen off.

Lastly, one wonders regarding obvious trolling and a general history of non-contributory posts why people respond to same. (Not a criticism, merely an observation). Personally I find the 'ignore user' feature to be aptly suited for these situations.
Yes, indeed, I need to be a bit less easily sucked in! I might take that advice.

I really don't get people repeatedly posting with nothing substantive to contribute to topics, for no reason except to belittle those who are at least engaging with the topic and trying to have a fact based discussion. This in particular is an interesting, and complex topic, but unfortunately no-one seems to actually want to discuss in any depth what the numbers could mean. I wish the mods would get involved sometimes as it doesn't encourage anyone to get involved in a decent debate.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 12:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Originally Posted by PJSMITH0
The comment wasn't just do with this thread. There are some posters who quite obviously do not like BA and use any thread to fuel the anti BA sentiment. When as a long time flyer with Virgin I became that disgruntled with how I was being treat as a passenger I switched my service provider initially using the cheapest but settling eventually on BA due to their network and its Ronseal service (It does what it says on the tin.

Well to fess up form my point of view, I'm not a BA flyer, but not a jilted BA bride either. Just an aviation enthusiast really and as I happen to be British and this is one of the most active aviation forums around, I tend to loiter and get sucked in...if Avianca had a decent forum I'd be over there, now there's an airline that gives you cause to complain, and if you live in Colombia you really don't have a choice!

Also it gives me a chuckle reading some of the things status passengers like to complain about

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.