Search

New Champagne - First (testing)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2017, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
Apologies for liking DP.

I also enjoy C de C, PR SWC and PJ Belle Époque.

I have a F flight next weekend so will be interested to see what is served on board.

Any changes in the CCR?
These changes are not yet. Expect LPGS for a while yet. The new champagne addition on board is not for another two to three months.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
A lot of rubbish seems to be creeping into this thread. There is no such thing as non-vintage Dom Perignon. It is the prestige cuvé for Moët & Chandon, but it is not vintage Moët (that is branded as such). To imply DP is poor quality because belongs to the biggest selling Champagne brand says a lot about views of other stable mates at LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton.

Previously we have had top marques prestige wines (e.g. LPGS) criticised for being non-vintage. This is more wine ignorance than wine snobbery.

This board can be very educational when those with genuine knowledge share their insight. This thread is not its finest hour.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Padmeister
These changes are not yet. Expect LPGS for a while yet. The new champagne addition on board is not for another two to three months.
Ok. Thanks for letting me know.

Have some F flights much later in the year so may see a change then or earlier if they impact the CCR.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 12:31 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I'd be more interested in seeing a nice Margaux on the plane.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by FrancisA

Previously we have had top marques prestige wines (e.g. LPGS) criticised for being non-vintage. This is more wine ignorance than wine snobbery.

This board can be very educational when those with genuine knowledge share their insight. This thread is not its finest hour.
Oh, surely not? I'm appalled ... I thought all those pontificating here really knew what they were talking about.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by smokie36
I'd be more interested in seeing a nice Margaux on the plane.
Definitely. As I said before, LPGS is already quality. Much better to put the money into the rest of the wine selection - which is pretty mediocre.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
Ok. Thanks for letting me know.

Have some F flights much later in the year so may see a change then or earlier if they impact the CCR.
No problem anytime.

Plus the wines are getting a bit of a shake up aswell 😉
Old Jul 29, 2017, 1:30 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Given that I almost never drink beverages with alcohol (maybe 2-4 ciders per year) and drinks soda even less, I would suggest that BA could up their game with something like the Cathay Delight for those of us that want something a bit more interesting than water or juice. That said my suggestion is probably lost on most. I did try LGPS onboard in May and still don't really enjoy champagne on its own.

Note: to be perfectly clear, I'm not saying BA should do this instead of improving other elements of First service like champagne and wine, but in addition.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by dylanks

Note: to be perfectly clear, I'm not saying BA should do this instead of improving other elements of First (and Business) service like champagne and wine, but in addition.
Small amendment there for the lesser people
Old Jul 29, 2017, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by gengar
Definitely. As I said before, LPGS is already quality. Much better to put the money into the rest of the wine selection - which is pretty mediocre.
+1. Love LPGS. White Wines need a shake-up.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 8:53 pm

I love LPGS. Always liked LP but flying on BA got me into LPGS- probably works as cross marketing as i now spend a few bob on it. Cunard have just brought it in on their ships- ended relationship with Veuve Cliquot and changed to LP.

I don't really like Dom- but haven't drunk a lot.

Detest Bollinger.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 12:22 am

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
Given my druthers, I'd opt for La Grande Dame any day of the week, with Krug a solid second choice.

I've generally found Dom Perignon to be champagne for non-champagne drinkers. Nothing wrong with it, but if I'm going to be spending money on a prestige cuvée it won't be the first bottle I reach for. Based on BA experience, LPGS is a bottle I'd happily consider.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by jamesreid978
Isn't Dom just vintage Moet? And Moët is pretty poor.
of course not. Of all 'prestige' champagnes Dom Perignon is one of those that least do it for me comparatively but the fact it belongs to the same House as Moet does not make it 'vintage moet'. It has its own specific vineyards within the property, its own vinification, its own master, etc. I'd personally incidentally rate it higher than Grand Siècle.

I know a lot of people swear by p2, but personally I doubt it's a realistic option nor, for that matter, a priority, and if money were to be invested in making F a better experience, I can think of loads of things both on the ground and in the air that I would see as more crucial myself
Old Jul 30, 2017, 2:53 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, LH Sen, EK & VS Gold, Amex Cent
Dom is certainly a showy brand which will get talked about by those who don't often drink champagne.

As others have said understated excellence should be the target. I like LPGS, I also really liked the Bollinger GA way back when (it was a particularly good vintage year they served). Top Ruinart always good.

I'd steer clear of Dom, Veuve, Cristal, Bel Epoque personally, but they are probably the ones can acquire in sufficient volume, consistent "quality" well discounted price and gets some marketing. Pol Roger SWC would be the most "British" champagne IMO alongside Bollinger, so I would go with one of those two if I was BA.

They used to always have at least one Bordeaux which was quite high-end - lets bring that back! To be honest I'm generally satisfied with the BA booze offering in F - of course it could be marginally better. Maybe a better single-malt variety would be appreciated, one peaty and one less so e.g. add Laghroaig 18/21. And some small bottle of Calvados just to boost the selection.

So can someone confirm that Dom is actually being served as someone noted above?
Old Jul 30, 2017, 3:56 am
Original Poster

Dom is not being served yet it will be another two to three months before we see it on board. It is still currently in the testing trialling phase at the moment alongside another Champagne from a different brand. I am still trying to find out what that is at the moment though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.