Search

Special meal catering cutbacks?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2017, 4:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, PriorityClub Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold fivestar
Special meal catering cutbacks?

BA190 July 26th

On today's flight in CW we were served one drink + nuts about 1 hr after takeoff.

About 2hrs after takeoff I was served a side salad (lettuce and two slices of pepper) along with a fruit bowl and a cheesecake. There were no drinks offered. There was bread but no butter.

About 3hrs into the flight the tray still hadn't been collected, no drinks offered and no further food offered so I move the tray to the empty adjacent seat and went to sleep.

Seemed like much less food than normal for the club world vegetarian option. The club kitchen also seemed to be unstocked even 3 hrs into the flight.
Attached Images  

Last edited by ChrL; Jul 27, 2017 at 4:10 am
Old Jul 27, 2017, 4:13 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Sounds more like a catering mess up. I would have expected a hot main course to be served. Did you not query where your main course was? I assume other customers were being served hot mains?

However, with the on-going strike by some parts of BA's cabin crew there is also reduced crewing levels on many flights. So the lack of experienced crew in some cabins may also be a factor.

Are you sure you pre-ordered a vegetarian meal and not a fruit plate (not even sure if BA offers this option)? That is the only thing I can think of that could have caused this confusion (or the crew mixed up orders on the flight).
Old Jul 27, 2017, 4:39 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Are you sure the crew didn't simply forget to give you the main?

I had that happen a couple of times in CW and I don't fly CW very often.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Ha! ... just saw your Tweet to BA with that. I'm not familiar with Special Meals, but that certainly doesn't look 'special'. As for the failure to clear up, it sounds like you had a totally apathetic crew.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 4:57 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Didn't you say anything to anyone aboard?
Old Jul 27, 2017, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, PriorityClub Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold fivestar
Originally Posted by gms
Sounds more like a catering mess up. I would have expected a hot main course to be served. Did you not query where your main course was? I assume other customers were being served hot mains?

However, with the on-going strike by some parts of BA's cabin crew there is also reduced crewing levels on many flights. So the lack of experienced crew in some cabins may also be a factor.

Are you sure you pre-ordered a vegetarian meal and not a fruit plate (not even sure if BA offers this option)? That is the only thing I can think of that could have caused this confusion (or the crew mixed up orders on the flight).
Definitely a VLML (as printed on the boarding pass and the tray). The chap who served the food did seem confused and said he wasn't sure which part was the starter so he gave me all the meal in one go (the salad + fruit + desert).

In the 1 hr between the food being served and me deciding to go to sleep there were no crew in the aisle, the seatbelt sign was on (but not bumpy) and the call button ignored.

The couple behind me were also commenting on a lack of food. Maybe they just forgot to serve the hot mains to our aisle.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I think that this is a MF flight and the poor quality of service down to the quality/type of crew operating these flights.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 7:21 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Can I help you
I think that this is a MF flight and the poor quality of service down to the quality/type of crew operating these flights.
Ouch / Meow!
Old Jul 27, 2017, 9:28 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
The title of this thread should probably be "Special meal catering cockup" rather than cutback. I don't think the lack of a main course here is reason to jump to a conclusion that it's been withdrawn.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Or perhaps more diplomatically... the crew member probably made a mistake.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 12:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold, ELAL Top Platinum
KOSHER

Whenever I travel I order KOSHER as they happen to be the best meals. No cut backs on Club Europe UK and they still give a bottle of water which is highly useful.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by ChrL
In the 1 hr between the food being served and me deciding to go to sleep there were no crew in the aisle, the seatbelt sign was on (but not bumpy) and the call button ignored.
Might be that they got a message from the flightdeck to sit down with seatbelts on? Sometime it happens if (severe) turbulence has been reported along the route. I have experienced only half of the cabin getting food for the first three hours due to this (non-BA-flight).
Old Jul 28, 2017, 3:16 am

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
BA crew are typically great. But I have had as many ropey WW crews, as MF. MF have been able to count on inexperience as the reason, with WW it's more likely to be indifference or worse.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by golfmad
Or perhaps more diplomatically... the crew member probably made a mistake.
I very much doubt it.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dan72
BA crew are typically great. But I have had as many ropey WW crews, as MF. MF have been able to count on inexperience as the reason, with WW it's more likely to be indifference or worse.
Probably correct, but the crew on MF flights currently are not all what they seem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.