Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Due to recent thefts BA installs CCTV in First Lounge

Due to recent thefts BA installs CCTV in First Lounge

Old Jul 27, 2017, 3:38 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

They look like lights to me as well and I can't see any typical 'bubble'

Anyhow, welcome to Flyertalk and the Board A Pen Is Set

To some folks it may look like cameras and remember the OP is new here so if it's a mistake please bear that in mind folks. If it were a regular/longstanding member then all would be fair in love and war in mocking replies but not here
Old Jul 27, 2017, 3:39 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Hehe , I would hope and assume there are cameras within all lounges in all airports within the U.K. - even if we can't see them. I reckon theft of champagne bottles for "off-site consumption " is pretty high. I was once tempted to nick a bottle of Dom from the first class "bar" on Emirates A380 , however decided not to as I hear prison is not so nice in the UAE.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 3:41 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd
They are not CCTV cameras.
There's nothing to say there isn't a planted camera in one of them though. After well more than 2 decades in 'security' type related type of work you'd be surprised what a camera can be concealed as, even in existing things like lights etc

However I don't think that is the case here but never say never.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 3:44 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by PETER01
Don't worry, someone will come along and say that it would be 'never' in this case due to the extra cost of installing a 'hidden' type of CCTV camera and due to recent cost-cutting it would never happen because WW would say a firm "No"

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Jul 27, 2017 at 5:16 am
Old Jul 27, 2017, 3:45 am

There's nothing to say there isn't a planted camera in one of them though. After well more than 2 decades in 'security' type related type of work you'd be surprised what a camera can be concealed as, even in existing things like lights etc

I fully agree - having a father who has worked in the electronic security industry for his whole career, leading some of the world's largest/complex projects, you learn a lot at the dinner table....whether you want to or not!

But even I can tell you these are light fittings
Old Jul 27, 2017, 3:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, Hilton, Can't Remember Bagpuss (But Can) Club
They look like lights to me as well and I can't see any typical 'bubble'

Anyhow, welcome to Flyertalk and the Board A Pen Is Set

To some folks it may look like cameras and remember the OP is new here so if it's a mistake please bear that in mind folks. If it were a regular/longstanding member then all would be fair in love and war in mocking replies but not here
Just to clarify: I'm pretty sure - as I was before I wrote the initial post - that BA have NOT installed CCTV cameras above the champagne bar.... although maybe my sense of humour hasn't quite cut it this morning. BA... cost cutting.... champagne on tap... someone bootlegging 20 or so cans of beer from First Lounge... 13 potential CCTV cameras directly above champagne bar.... ...geez..... !!!!!

Last edited by A Pen Is Set; Jul 27, 2017 at 3:55 am
Old Jul 27, 2017, 3:50 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd
I fully agree - having a father who has worked in the electronic security industry for his whole career, leading some of the world's largest/complex projects, you learn a lot at the dinner table....whether you want to or not!

But even I can tell you these are light fittings
Ha ha. ^ Do you have definitive proof though?

Otherwise it's all pure speculation they are 100% lights

Back on topic, I haven't seen any visible camera 'bubbles' in GC, GF or the CCR unless I have missed them
Old Jul 27, 2017, 3:53 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH DIAMOND, AVIS Presidents Club, Karahi Express
20 LightS ... What a messy arrangement !!
Old Jul 27, 2017, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by A Pen Is Set
Just to clarify: I'm pretty sure - as I was before I wrote the initial post - that BA have NOT installed CCTV cameras above the champagne bar.... although maybe my sense of humour hasn't quite cut it this morning. BA... cost cutting.... thefts from First Lounge... coffee in Thermos flask... geez.....
I'm sure most guessed it may have been in jest as it was but you've started a thread and good on you. ^ Whether it goes OT, members jest with each other etc as well as discussing the points then that' one of the good things about the BA Board.

I hope you enjoy the place.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 4:01 am

I do some work for a significant player in the lighting market. You'd be surprised how many additional capabilities are built into modern light fittings these days.

One of the main selling points of lighting-based security approaches is that people never notice or question the presence of light fittings...
Old Jul 27, 2017, 4:56 am

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
As of 1 minute ago there were 13 burned out bulbs over the back champagne bar. Likely saving money. There are cameras at the G First entrance. I do not see any cameras over either of the Gin Festival stands. But the gin is exceptional.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 6:01 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold, TK Smiles and Miles, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by A Pen Is Set
First time post here - so go easy on me! I have lurked for a few months or so.

Recently, I’ve taken a few early flights via Heathrow. I’m not a morning person, and have found myself taking a few cheeky winks in the champagne bar (feet on the floor and not on the couch or pouffet of course) very early am, when very quiet and no-one else is around.

Anyway: after a brief snooze this morning I couldn’t help notice that it appears BA have installed a set of CCTV cameras directly above the champagne bar.

Right above it in fact. For tracking consumption maybe? Or face recognition even? Linked to FaceIn or my girlfriend's father's lover's mother-in-law's Flight Path maybe?

Good job I only drink coffee at that time in the morning. After filling it into my Thermos of course
They have been there for as long as the Champagne Bar has.
Cheers
Steve
Old Jul 27, 2017, 6:04 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Is someone stealing BA's light bulbs?
Old Jul 27, 2017, 6:06 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
There's a lot of jokes going over people's heads in this thread....

I think you all need holidays!

Or maybe you just need to be on FT more so that you 'get' OP's meta humour referencing (by my count) 3 previous posts...
Old Jul 27, 2017, 6:07 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by jib71
Is someone stealing BA's light bulbs?
They aren't missing light bulbs. They are deep-set CCTV cameras.

They're worried about someone stealing the glass balls and overloading the overhead locker, so they have specifically installed CCTV cameras in the ceiling to monitor them.

Some of them are actually not CCTV cameras though. They shoot out paint that stick to human skin but not to glass, so when theft is detected on the CCTV camera so that the perpetrator can be identified easily but without damaging the glass ball, or champagne bottles for that matter.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.