Wiki Posts
Search

First CW - Any Tips?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2017, 11:23 am
Original Poster

First CW - Any Tips?

Hi all,

I'll be flying CW tomorrow on the 789. I've managed to get 7K, which I believe is one of the best seats and I've got over 4 hours at Heathrow to enjoy the lounge.

I was just wondering if anyone had any tips above and beyond what is in the Wiki for maximising the experience?

Thanks
Old Jul 26, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: Newbie BA Gold
The dividers between the seats are operated by buttons. Attempting to lift them manually will give you away as a newbie.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 11:29 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Enjoy it! CW is splendid on your first trip if you're more used to travelling in the spartan cabins further back.

Bring some decent headphones too, in case a party of yah-boo suits conspires to spoil the experience with their self-important drivel and incessant whinging. (yes, this did happen on mine with a wunch of bankers seated in the row opposite...)
Old Jul 26, 2017, 11:34 am

I find 7K to be one of the best seats in CW on the 789, that and 7A.

Which lounge will you be in? 4 hours is an incredibly long time. Take some decent reading material or a media device to pass the time.

Above all, manage your expectations - it is BA business class so very pedestrian when it comes to quality/luxury. Hopefully you get a decent crew.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 11:39 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
Originally Posted by Y29M
Hi all,

I'll be flying CW tomorrow on the 789. I've managed to get 7K, which I believe is one of the best seats and I've got over 4 hours at Heathrow to enjoy the lounge.

I was just wondering if anyone had any tips above and beyond what is in the Wiki for maximising the experience?

Thanks
7K is a great seat. Direct aisle access and very private if a solo traveller. Slightly better than 7A since 7K is further from the washroom. Relax and enjoy!
Old Jul 26, 2017, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by benjai
The dividers between the seats are operated by buttons. Attempting to lift them manually will give you away as a newbie.
Thanks for the tip, now for the newbie mistake of not being able to find the button!

Originally Posted by V10
Enjoy it! CW is splendid on your first trip if you're more used to travelling in the spartan cabins further back.

Bring some decent headphones too, in case a party of yah-boo suits conspires to spoil the experience with their self-important drivel and incessant whinging. (yes, this did happen on mine with a wunch of bankers seated in the row opposite...)
I'm sure that would never, never happen! Bose at the ready nonetheless!

Originally Posted by rossmacd
I find 7K to be one of the best seats in CW on the 789, that and 7A.

Which lounge will you be in? 4 hours is an incredibly long time. Take some decent reading material or a media device to pass the time.

Above all, manage your expectations - it is BA business class so very pedestrian when it comes to quality/luxury. Hopefully you get a decent crew.
It is a long time, but I'll be with my Mum and Dad, so we'll probably do some shopping then head to Galleries South. The AUS flight tends to depart from the B gates from what I've seen, so might spend some time in that lounge too.

Originally Posted by Rubecula
7K is a great seat. Direct aisle access and very private if a solo traveller. Slightly better than 7A since 7K is further from the washroom. Relax and enjoy!
Thanks Rebecula!
Old Jul 26, 2017, 11:50 am

Programs: BA Silver
Go to the galley early after your meal and grab a snack or two before they disappear.

Gives you a chance to suss out the wine options whilst you watch a movie or two as well.

If the Barossa is there its worth enjoying for an hour or two.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: BA Oneworld
Order your meal on-line now as this will guarantee (well, sort of) you get your first choice. If you are flying from 5B or 5C use the 5B lounge. If flying from 5A use the South lounge.

If your flight is in the morning, the best lounge breakfast is several bloody mary's and and a bacon roll
Old Jul 26, 2017, 3:29 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Deleted - duff info.

Last edited by HilFly; Jul 26, 2017 at 3:40 pm
Old Jul 26, 2017, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by HilFly
The button is on the top of the screen frame, just to one side of the screen itself.

I have had a "sticky" screen that's needed a little gentle tug to keep it going up.
It's next to the regular control buttons on 789? Meaning you can press without having to be obvious
Old Jul 26, 2017, 3:39 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Sorry, I'll delete my post.

I've travelled on the 787 twice recently, but I was with Mr H on daytime flights, and the cabin was empty except for 2 / 3 other passengers, so now I come to think about it, I didn't use the screen to discover the different location.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 3:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
But hit the button - wherever it is - as soon as the safety briefing has finished, and more than likely the person next to you will think you fly CW every day and will have no idea how you just did that
Old Jul 26, 2017, 4:08 pm

Programs: Newbie BA Gold
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
It's next to the regular control buttons on 789? Meaning you can press without having to be obvious
Should be two buttons? One next to the regular control buttons and one on top which I think is mainly for the crew to use when bringing you things.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 4:18 pm

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
That is a great seat. SWMBO and I had 7J/K on a 789 to AUS.
The other thing I remember about that flight is how clean and tidy the whole plane was.
We flew from B and onlyused the B Lounge. it was only one-third full.
Don't forget the fact that if you do use B Lounge, and the flight is switched back to A you must go back to A the way you came in the Departures stream............NOT arrivals!
Old Jul 26, 2017, 4:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by benjai
Should be two buttons? One next to the regular control buttons and one on top which I think is mainly for the crew to use when bringing you things.
Go for the top one. Then the person sitting next to you will know you did 'something' but still won't know what

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.