Wiki Posts
Search

Debiting avios...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2014, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze
Debiting avios...

Does anyone know how long it takes for avios to leave your account after redeeming them for flights? (booked through the call centre)

I booked over a week ago but they are still showing in my account....
Old Jan 13, 2014, 11:01 am

Programs: A variety of Platinums, Golds, Silvers and other fancy metals.
Hve you received confirmation of the booking?
Old Jan 13, 2014, 11:08 am
Original Poster

No confirmation email, but I received a booking ref on the phone and the flights show up as upcoming travel when I sign in to ba.com...
Old Jan 13, 2014, 11:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Steve Oh
Hve you received confirmation of the booking?
Or better yet, do you have an e-ticket number? If not, you don't have a ticket.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 11:24 am

Debiting avios...

I'm wondering if they sometimes forget to debit the miles at the call centre. There is a link in mmb to Resend the confirmation/eticket email, it usually says on there the amount of avios deducted if any.

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B554a Safari/9537.53)

2 weeks to ticket & debit cash (tax and charges) for a recent phone booking and 2 further weeks to debit the Avios.
Original Poster

Yes I have an e-ticket number...

Perhaps their system is just very slow. I just thought it was a bit strange that they hadn't gone by now.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 11:50 am

KGMM77 did it show the amount of avios debited on your e-ticket receipt or did they just randomly take the avios two weeks after?
Old Jan 13, 2014, 1:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold GGL
It might be different but I did a UuA recently.

The guy on the phone said that the upgrade would be visible in MMB immediately. He mentioned something about sending information to another office ('at the back'?) for full processing.

I presume this meant for the deduction of Avios.

Anyway, I hoped, of course, that the email sent or piece of paper printed off would get lost.

I am sorry to report that BA acted very professionally. Two/three days later my Avios were deducted.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 5:01 pm

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B554a Safari/9537.53)

Originally Posted by DG55
KGMM77 did it show the amount of avios debited on your e-ticket receipt or did they just randomly take the avios two weeks after?
The e-ticket receipt was only sent when the miles were debited and at that point it did include the total Avios. But it had been ticketed and cash debited weeks prior to this (ie whilst an eticket had not been sent by BA, I could go into the booking and check the ticket numbers).
Old Jan 13, 2014, 11:10 pm

Programs: BA GGL (but soon to lose the GL :-(), IHG Spire Amb, Hilton Dmnd (and pleb/pleb-plus in 1001 others)
I also had a recent POUG that I had to do on the phone as the web site was acting up. Was able to select seats in upgraded class via MMB a few minutes later, but email confirmation of upgraded ticket didn't arrive for about a fortnight, and card was not charged until a few days after that. I had started thinking I might be getting it for free!
Old Jan 14, 2014, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Speedbird876
It might be different but I did a UuA recently.

The guy on the phone said that the upgrade would be visible in MMB immediately. He mentioned something about sending information to another office ('at the back'?) for full processing.

I presume this meant for the deduction of Avios.

Anyway, I hoped, of course, that the email sent or piece of paper printed off would get lost.
The upgrade is visible immediately in MMB because a confirmed reservation is made for you in the higher cabin at that point. That's what MMB shows. At the same time, the old reservation in the original cabin is cancelled and the ticket coupon for the upgraded sector is also cancelled.

The reservation is then sent off to a different department for a new ticket to be issued for the cabin to which you've upgraded. If that message had got lost, then you wouldn't have had a valid ticket for your trip and you wouldn't have been able to check in until a ticket was issued.

So be careful what you wish for!
Old Aug 2, 2017, 3:45 am

Programs: Now BAEC Brown, fallen from 10 yrs BAEC Gold; Oyster 60+ Travelcard
In mid May I booked an F redemption with a 2-4-1 voucher for travel in January 2018. This was an open jaw phone booking through Manchester. Although I have received an e-ticket receipt with ticket numbers and have been able to select seats, neither the avios nor 2-4-1 voucher have been debited from my account. Of course I would not spend the balance due but do wonder when BA will get around debiting me; on all my previous redemptions this has always been within a week of booking. Has anyone had experience of such a protracted process whilst being in receipt of ticket numbers?
Old Aug 2, 2017, 7:14 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott GFL
Originally Posted by GateLouse2
In mid May I booked an F redemption with a 2-4-1 voucher for travel in January 2018. This was an open jaw phone booking through Manchester. Although I have received an e-ticket receipt with ticket numbers and have been able to select seats, neither the avios nor 2-4-1 voucher have been debited from my account. Of course I would not spend the balance due but do wonder when BA will get around debiting me; on all my previous redemptions this has always been within a week of booking. Has anyone had experience of such a protracted process whilst being in receipt of ticket numbers?
Yes, this past March. The Avios were finally removed just before I stepped on the plane for my flight. Not optimal, but I knew to expect them to vanish so had not spent them elsewhere.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 7:43 am

Programs: BA Gold (woohoo)
Booked a trip via the call centre (Newcastle I think) on June 13th (BA.com couldn't cope with an itinerary including LGA). I UUAed one leg to F. Travel is next Wednesday and the avios haven't been taken, although its ticketed and I have lovely 1A reserved for the 747 to BOS.

Oddly, immediately after booking, MMB pointed me to the CCR and Elemis Spa for that leg, but about a week later reverted to pointing me to the regular lounge (I was Silver at the time). The venerable CWS tells me not to worry...

If collecting avios for this kind of upgrade has been enhanced away, I won't complain though! Does make you wonder what they'd do if you had spent every avios by the time they tried to make the debit?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.