Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

is this usual: 12 rows of club Europe on a leisure route?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

is this usual: 12 rows of club Europe on a leisure route?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2017, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
As you have gathered, this is far from abnormal and goes back to the original days of Club Europe where an aircraft could go back 2/3 in Club - particularly on routes like FRA.

What is surprising is that so many people are in Club given that were to believe everything that we read here, no one is traveling in it. Strange that.
If the difference is < ~£50 each way I'll go for it, especially on the inbound flight on a work trip (got to pay the extra myself though). Having a few more drinks and extra TPs is worth that to me. Especially if I can get the front row...
Old Jul 25, 2017, 2:30 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
I'm on a midday flight to Copenhagen next month and Club goes back to row 13, which seems insane. My assumption (given 2 months back we could only pick seats in rows 11-13) is that there's a big tour group on this who have consumed rows 4-10.
CPH in CE is frequently past the front exit rows (on the A321, so more seats in ET too)

I would guess most of them are connecting to/from long haul J. Not sure how many people will connect from Split though.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 1:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
It's yacht-season

Weekends will have lots of wealthy types heading out to Croatia to set sail (read: drink and sunbathe whilst posting on Instagram)
Old Jul 26, 2017, 2:39 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Split is becoming the new Nice.
Precisely!

Very common to have 8-12 rows on an A320/321 as CE, and back to Doors L2/R2 on a 767.

My record, was 19 rows of CE, but that was a few years back and on an A320 the night the Monaco GP ended.

M
Old Jul 26, 2017, 2:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I only had the 5 rows on my LHR-LBA flight the other day and row 1 all to myself.
6 rows is the most I've ever seen, I think.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 3:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Honours Silver, Marriott, Hyatt, IHG
BA insiders confirm that the "new" leisure routes are booming and I think to a degree that is even surprising BA
Old Jul 26, 2017, 5:20 am

Programs: BA Silver. AA EXP.
Originally Posted by andset1191
Try Larnaca on the 767!
Indeed. I flew the Larnaca route last week and I think club was back to row 17. Really quite surprised, plenty of young children too.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 6:15 am

Programs: Now BAEC Brown, fallen from 10 yrs BAEC Gold; Oyster 60+ Travelcard
Split is an interesting route, I have been flying the route 3 or 4 times a year for the past 15 years - BA, OU, DY and EZ. Loadings are always consistently high, apart from sailing parties, tour operators (including Saga) start many holidays/cruises from Split. I tend to find BA CE fares to be at a modest premium over ET (and always much cheaper than OU) if booked early but can be at a substantial premium if not. I don't think I have ever seen fewer than 5 rows in CE. Whether CE is worth it is another matter, although there is an unpublicised fast track through security at Split, there is no lounge and boarding more often than not is by coach.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 6:51 am

In many respects you have to admire BA. If they manage to sell 17 rows of CE, you are no longer in a 'premium cabin', you are (in effect) almost in a single class aircraft. So while you get the benefit of extra space (middle seat and overhead bins) some of (what i consider to be more valuable) benefits no longer apply. Priority boarding, or sitting at the front of the plane is no longer a benefit when everyone is the same!
Old Jul 26, 2017, 7:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Yes, you can't blame BA for filling their boots. Lots of juicy profits to be made whilst leisure travellers rush to splash out on CE tickets (especially with oil prices remaining at such a low level).

Benefits like priority boarding are often hit & miss anyway ; but with so many rows of CE, maybe the same size seat in a less busy, smaller, ET section will soon be seen as the more exclusive option - and you won't have to wait long for the BoB trolley to get to you.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 7:28 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, *A, Marriott
I am one of the ones who flies Y long-haul and CE short haul. Long haul in economy because this is company policy and most of my work trips are long haul; and CE short haul, especially on the 4-hour short haul trips to Greece or the Canaries, as this is a splurge for a nice holiday with the hubby. I find CE to many leisure destinations can be reasonably priced especially if part of BA holidays package with hotel, and the 4-hour trips yield 160 tier points.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 8:04 am
Suspended

The BA source E170 map http://thebasource.com/seatmaps/170/cy76.html
implies it can do 13 rows, perhaps they do this during MIPIM additional flights to NCE.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 8:24 am

Programs: BAEC
I've just been looking at some of the flights + hotel deals on the BA website, some of which are pretty good value in CE. If tier points & avios matter to you, then I can see a lot of people going for that.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
appreciate all the input and ideas. I can see how the yacht/sailboat charter business out of nearby marinas might have a higher percentage of those willing to pay for biz on the way down (and it's not horribly expensive at 400 Pounds return). In fact, you can't even buy economy for the rest of the summer--only club.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

These days I wouldn't be surprised if there are more private individuals who pay for shorthaul J than people travelling on business accounts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.