Gold Priority Rewards - Good Value?

Old Jul 24, 17, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
Gold Priority Rewards - Good Value?

Was looking today at half term ski flights and availability for Lyon/Grenoble was horrendous. Either extortionate at silly o clock or even more ridiculously pricey - 550 a head - at a reasonable time. Then suddenly remembered Gold Priority Rewards (which I've never used) and got great flights for everyone for 18,000 Avios + 35. This seemed to me like an excellent deal at the time (and I value the more than Avios ) although I would love to hear what other FTers think?
Old Jul 24, 17, 5:35 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CR
It's the classic debate of what Avios are worth to you. Personally, I think that's a pretty good use of them, but I'm sure other posters may comment how you could have flown First class from Oslo to Honolulu, via Mongolia etc
Old Jul 24, 17, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
If it got you what you wanted at a cash price and number of avios you are happy to pay then it makes no difference what anyone else thinks.
Old Jul 24, 17, 5:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Plat, Amex Plat.
IMHO this gold benefit is one the great benefits of the tier - as your example well illustrates. Since it requires some planning to implement, it is even more satisfying when successful.
Old Jul 24, 17, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
If it got you what you wanted at a cash price and number of avios you are happy to pay then it makes no difference what anyone else thinks.
You are right, I know, but I'm intrigued to know how this sits for future reference. Paying 90k avios to fly 5 people at a peak time with low/zero availability is hard to argue with IMHO, but I've no idea of the spread on values.
Old Jul 24, 17, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pablol View Post
It's the classic debate of what Avios are worth to you. Personally, I think that's a pretty good use of them, but I'm sure other posters may comment how you could have flown First class from Oslo to Honolulu, via Mongolia etc
Damn - been desperate to fly that Ulan Bator leg.
Old Jul 24, 17, 6:12 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It may even work well for domestic flights on bank holiday weekends, around Christmas and around Easter. Though there is usually some availability somewhere, it may be the very late LCY or LGW flight. Cash fares during civilised hours could be 250 plus, even though barely a seat is sold: BA knows the flights will fill up at some point and won't be in a rush to offer cheap seats. GPR to the rescue!

Note that GPRs can be cancelled without fee, should mainstream availability show up.
Old Jul 24, 17, 6:21 pm

Programs: BA GGL; Hilton Diamond
I've used them in similar scenarios and have felt they offer great value
Old Jul 24, 17, 8:03 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post

Note that GPRs can be cancelled without fee, should mainstream availability show up.
This.

Your Avios value is nearly 3p which is a good redemption. Since you can cancel at any time for free, you have nothing to lose. If normal redemptions pop up or cash fares drop, just cancel the reward flights.
Old Jul 25, 17, 1:12 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
It may even work well for domestic flights on bank holiday weekends, around Christmas and around Easter. Though there is usually some availability somewhere, it may be the very late LCY or LGW flight. Cash fares during civilised hours could be 250 plus, even though barely a seat is sold: BA knows the flights will fill up at some point and won't be in a rush to offer cheap seats. GPR to the rescue!

If only GPR could be used on cityflyer! They are mainline only, to my continual annoyance.
Old Jul 25, 17, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Shorthaul redemptions are the remaining award sweet spot on BA metal. The additional V redemption space and GPR two of the better Gold benefits.
Old Jul 25, 17, 2:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tafflyer View Post
This.

Since you can cancel at any time for free, you have nothing to lose.
The guy on the phone said I would lose the 35/ticket. I think I've cancelled redemptions previously for a refund. He also said it would cost to change, which I thought wasnt the case. Eitehr way, I'm a happy camper
Old Jul 25, 17, 2:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swanhunter View Post
Shorthaul redemptions are the remaining award sweet spot on BA metal.
Always found them generally exceptional, even at short notice and holidays (if you are flexible) but this has added a whole new dimension!
Old Jul 25, 17, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
We use them every Feb half term for skiing and it is exceptional value vs 500 cash.

Since I'm Avios rich I have also taken to using them for less lucrative routes too. As long as I don't drop below 0.75p I'm ok.
Old Jul 25, 17, 3:57 am

Programs: BAEC, LHM&M, and even a dusty KLFB!
Absolutely - my usual chain of things to try for shorthaul redemptions (almost always family holiday flights) is:

1) regular avios availability
2) OnBusiness availability
3) GGL joker (if not yet used or not being kept for something)
4) Gold Priority Reward (even tho I can never remember the name when I call up)

I've ended up using GPR quite often for the family to fly during school holidays. My usual saving for a family of 4 compared with paying to fly (on BA/FR/EZ) is c 2500! I'd rate this as possible the most valuable Gold benefit actually (note "valuable", ie money-saving, rather than convenient/important etc which might be something else...)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: