Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ABBA - anyone but BA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2017, 8:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, Subcard
Originally Posted by HIDDY
You're right there as most of the moaning you see on here comes from those who pay the least in all classes from ET to F.
What is this based on?
Old Jul 26, 2017, 8:53 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
BA has a cost base far greater than any LCC.

However, the airlines direction suggests they want to target the LCC market and have decided to grow by being bigger rather than being better.

Unfortunately, with the cost base, they will never be bigger. While they used to be better, most Y pax cannot see any difference anymore.
So we see it the same way. BA acts like a LCC but will never be a LCC. Just as no-frills as the rest but more expensive. I don't think I'd like to present a business plan like that to my shareholders.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Tafflyer
So we see it the same way. BA acts like a LCC but will never be a LCC. Just as no-frills as the rest but more expensive. I don't think I'd like to present a business plan like that to my shareholders.
BA is a LSC (low service carrier), not a LCC (low cost carrier).
Old Jul 26, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by GTR56
What is this based on?
HIDDY does an extensive survey of passengers every time he flies BA

Last edited by Paralytic; Jul 26, 2017 at 9:17 am
Old Jul 26, 2017, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by fransknorge
All airline have an ex-Something. AF//LH group can put some low fares in Biz ex-UK or ex-Spain. The whole point of those is to attract customers with a lower price in exchange for the inconvenience to connect at another hub, compared to a direct. Linking ex-EU with the financial performance of BA compared to their competitors is a red herring.
Exactly. Those of us who fly from multiple places know that London is actually often one of the cheapest origins within Europe for many long haul J trips and have consequently selected UK as an 'ex EU' departure on many a trip. I've done some AF to Japan and KL to China for under Ł1,000, some VN to Australia for Ł1,500, some GF to various Asian destinations for Ł900, some TK to the far East and South Africa for a shade over Ł1,000 and much more. Only not nonstop on BA.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 10:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Paralytic
HIDDY does an extensive survey of passengers every time he flies BA
I bet you a tenner that's not what you wrote first.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 12:17 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
They cannot degrade the Y product any more than they have done so already! Except charge for hand luggage I guess!
- Paid for IFE
- Paid for drinks on long haul
- Splitting families up so they are forced to pay for seats if they want to sit together
Old Jul 26, 2017, 12:33 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
- Paid for IFE
- Paid for drinks on long haul
- Splitting families up so they are forced to pay for seats if they want to sit together
Coming soon in Y is pay to look out of the window and if you want a seat to actually sit in then that's payable too.

Old Jul 26, 2017, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Very good, PETER01
Old Jul 26, 2017, 12:36 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by T8191
Very good, PETER01
That is actually a BA plane! (sorry, aeroplane )
Old Jul 26, 2017, 12:43 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by PETER01
That is actually a BA plane! (sorry, aeroplane )
Is that the one where an impromptu football game kicked off? Including one of the flight crew?
Old Jul 26, 2017, 12:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
On the positive side ..... a lot more legroom than in CE ^
Old Jul 26, 2017, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by BahrainLad
What is of course interesting is that almost all the comments agree that the dual-brand strategy won't work, and that BA is now Europe's most expensive no-frills airline. What a mess.
AC and WW have trashed the brand. It's difficult to see how a dual airline strategy can work for BA when it now has a reputation for LCC standards with full-service prices, the worst long haul J cabin of its principal competitors, and for inflicting large scale disruption on its passengers, for which it denies responsibility but has not published the results of its investigations into the cause of the problem.

The coverage in the broadsheets (FT and Sunday Times) and the Economist reflects this. It is difficult to see how AC can stay in his job much longer.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
sticking to the ABBA theme, I've just done Dubai on Air Berlin in business-class.

1-2-1 lie-flat seating, three friendly; nicely relaxed cabin crew looking after fifteen passengers (in a 19 seat cabin); good food, well-presented. All nineteen seats have, of course direct access, 4 are nicely secluded window ones; 9 are exposed to the aisle and the remaining 6 are love-bird seats in three pairs.

What's not to like, as they say .

So that's yet another OW airline showing British Airways up as ever so slightly dowdy and behind the times.

Admittedly a pretty awful airport experience at Tegel's C terminal, but with priority this and that it was OK.

A very salient point for avios redeemers deserves underlining: AB flights (and they do get around) are available for tons less cash co-payments than BA ones.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 4:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
sticking to the ABBA theme, I've just done Dubai on Air Berlin in business-class.

1-2-1 lie-flat seating, three friendly; nicely relaxed cabin crew looking after fifteen passengers (in a 19 seat cabin); good food, well-presented. All nineteen seats have, of course direct access, 4 are nicely secluded window ones; 9 are exposed to the aisle and the remaining 6 are love-bird seats in three pairs.

What's not to like, as they say .
Their losses for a start.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.