Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ABBA - anyone but BA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2017, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by Dan72
Who else is offering wifi in the shorthaul European market. DY, who else?
Should the question not be "who will be offering" to keep it within the same context?
jhjunc likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 7:44 am

Programs: BAEC
Norwegian offer free wifi on European flights
Old Jul 28, 2017, 7:44 am

Programs: BA Silver
Exactly this:

More frequent schedules; better handling in cases of routine disruption (due to more frequent schedules); possibility of protection on other carriers at time of disruption; the possibility to upgrade (particularly where corporate policy may dictate Y, but the passenger wants to pay the difference); possibility of connecting (at the right fare); wifi (soon); airports that may be more convenient (LCY, LHR), although LCCs are starting to operate from key airports; better network coverage for business travellers.
I uncovered a picture of Dan72 coming up with that list

Old Jul 28, 2017, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

better network coverage for business travellers.
Is that still true? U2's network is now not too shabby.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 8:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Paralytic

You must have loaded more than three BoB sandwiches for the whole cabin, surely ...........
Old Jul 28, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
Exactly this:

More frequent schedules; better handling in cases of routine disruption (due to more frequent schedules); possibility of protection on other carriers at time of disruption; the possibility to upgrade (particularly where corporate policy may dictate Y, but the passenger wants to pay the difference); possibility of connecting (at the right fare); wifi (soon); airports that may be more convenient (LCY, LHR), although LCCs are starting to operate from key airports; better network coverage for business travellers.
ok well to take your points in turn
route dependent but doubtful overall ,
you really must be joking,
maybe but frequent reports of this being denied especially in the IT fiasco,
yes but why bother to upgrade to the enhanced CE,
connecting at LHR is problematic at best and most LCCs often better regional direct flights,
Wifi well not yet and already on such as DY for free and pretty good it was when I used it,
convenience of airports well that depends on whether you are near LHR or not and abroad U2 use same airports,
better network is debatable
Old Jul 28, 2017, 9:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by YorkieFlyer
Without status what exactly does BA now offer that is better than U2 or FR?
Apart from the most obvious ones which have already been pointed out that U2 and FR don't offer.....not a lot if travelling in Y.

I don't see anyone disputing that though.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 10:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Are LH now rolling this out comprehensively? And who are the several others in the European market?
Time to stop digging perhaps? You named something as a benefit of BA that BA don't even offer that some of it's competitors already do?
jhjunc likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 10:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Exactly this:

1. More frequent schedules - no.
2. Ergo, better handling due to more frequent schedules - no.
3. Possibility of protection on other carriers at time of disruption - maybe, many reports of this being denied, especially if we're talking about non-status pax. Not really observable to the average passenger booking a flight is it?
4. The possibility to upgrade (particularly where corporate policy may dictate Y. Again, irrelevant to someone voluntarily booking SH Y.
5. possibility of connecting (at the right fare). Or I could just use a LCC from my local airport so i don't have to connect through LHR?
6. wifi (soon). Already available on other airlines.
7. Airports that may be more convenient (LCY, LHR). Or airports that are probably less convenient, unless you happen to live near either of these 2, with BA you will have to connect, LCCs take you direct and fly from more airports.
8. leading to...better network coverage for business travellers. I'm not sure how you're choosing to narrowly define this, but LCCs fly from more airports in Britain to more airports in Europe.

So on 6 out of your 8 points, and especially the most important ones of network, scheduling, direct flights, BA are actually inferior unless you think everyone wants the LHR experience wherever they live. I'll give you the upgrade point as I'm feeling generous
Old Jul 28, 2017, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by George Kyriakos
Looks like Virgin is jumping at the opportunity opened up by the piece...

I've got a booked itinerary in Y just before Christmas, SEA-LHR-JNB. VS offered some shockingly low fares of ~$880 early in December but alas, school holidays dictates when we can go. Obviously that fare was not available to us. BA came out the cheapest by about $200 across the board. Yes, even cheaper than EK. VS offering now in Y is about $250 more per person than what I paid for. In Y+, $5900 vs BA's $2709. VS's offer to #ABBA is a $50 discount.

Now I realize that it's the silly season, but if you have a family of 4, that's an $800 difference. That's a significant difference.

Last edited by CBear; Jul 28, 2017 at 11:42 am
Old Jul 28, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: Meh
Exactly this:

Come on now Dan.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 1:47 pm

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Originally Posted by nallison
Time to stop digging perhaps? You named something as a benefit of BA that BA don't even offer that some of it's competitors already do?
I clearly acknowledged that BA didn't yet offer wifi. When asked who apart from BA (and DY) who was offering shorthaul wifi, I got the thinnest answer that included - 'several (unnamed) others'.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Originally Posted by Paralytic

This is Dan hiding from most of the people on this thread. Come to think of it, if most of the people on this thread are avoiding BA, I can think of another benefit of flying BA to add to my list.

On the list... it was rattled together during an idle moment at work, for most London business travellers I think it holds true. If it doesn't hold true for you, fly someone else. I really don't get the hand wringing over choice of an air carrier. Competition is a good thing, it provides choice and keeps prices at historic lows.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is Dan hiding from most of the people on this thread. Come to think of it, if most of the people on this thread are avoiding BA, I can think of another benefit of flying BA to add to my list.

For what it's worth, it's important to have a counter point in these threads or it quickly becomes an echo chamber.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 2:28 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Calchas
For what it's worth, it's important to have a counter point in these threads or it quickly becomes an echo chamber.
I agree. Wait, no, I don't!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.