Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ABBA - anyone but BA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2017, 4:42 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
If all publicity is good publicity, Virgin is giving BA extra publicity by mentioning BA big time there.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 4:57 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
I'm not sure the I have a problem with the "mixed operation" concept. Indeed, that idea entered my head many months ago, when all the hoo-hah started.

Why can't the Economy Cabin be made cheap and austere [more than it is already] to complete with the LoCos on price and take fullest advantage of BA's route network? Isn't that why it's called Economy? In front of the figurative curtain, BA can continue to operate Premium services [improved on what they are now] for those willing to pay for the experience.

Don't we already see the basic elements of Budget and Premium differentiation already, when comparing World Traveller and Club World? I agree that it would be harder to apply on shorthaul operations, given the efficiency provided by the 'moving curtain', but that's not necessarily 'set in stone' [to mix a metaphor]. Upgrade CE by providing, say 4-5 rows of proper seating with decent pitch, like AA's Domestic First. Economise as much as you dare in ET to compete on price.

One aircraft, one crew, two different loads of pax and two different price structures ... why is that impossible? It already exists!
With BAs recent track record wouldn't it be more likely they'll devalue economy sufficiently that the existing CE will seem premium in comparison to their own ET product, rather than actually improving CE at the same time as they 'simplify' ET.
Outside my area of expertise, but clearly Lufthansa feel you devalue one with the other, hence the separation of Eurowings.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 5:48 am

Programs: BA Exec Club
Leaving aside the well covered BA approach to its Brand, the "big idea" depends on service delivery to the premium customer.
So that would require no hours waiting for a phone to be answered,no catastrophic IT failures,smooth industrial relations, a modern fleet with state of the art seating ,a swift response to legal obligations etc etc.
Would Claridges Hotel build an extension and run it as a Travelodge?
Old Jul 27, 2017, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
...and I'd add that I'm not sure that mocking a competitor comes across that well either.
I agree. However Virgin's brand is such that they can seemingly get away with this slightly irreverent stuff.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 6:53 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
I am afraid that Marketing 101 needs to be understood.

You cannot "split" a Brand. Especially not a premium brand. You just cannot market "crap" BA alongside "premium" BA.

You need a different brand. Why not launch one. I believe the brand "Go" is available.

As to Competing with Low cost. Operations 101 is required. Forget it. Each pax costs BA UKP22 at lhr, (pax handling fee) plus their share of landing fees and parking fees.
Ryan gets paid by the local authority to land at some airports.

So any flight out of Thiefrow starts with a cost of about Ł30 per pax cf Ryanair.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 7:01 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
As to Competing with Low cost. Operations 101 is required. Forget it. Each pax costs BA UKP22 at lhr, (pax handling fee) plus their share of landing fees and parking fees.

So any flight out of Thiefrow starts with a cost of about Ł30 per pax cf Ryanair.
You say that, but there will be a fairly significant group of people that will see 30GBP as money well spent to avoid the extra hassle of getting to, and through, cesspit airports like Stansted and Luton.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 7:05 am

Not if they are chasing the cheapest ticket.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by V10
You say that, but there will be a fairly significant group of people that will see 30GBP as money well spent to avoid the extra hassle of getting to, and through, cesspit airports like Stansted and Luton.
Really? It's an airport, not a permanent residence. Personally, as someone from the regions, these airports aren't very well served for connections but I have used them and I think "cesspit" may be a tad extreme.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 7:22 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Oh dear
Old Jul 27, 2017, 7:25 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
I am afraid that Marketing 101 needs to be understood.

You cannot "split" a Brand. Especially not a premium brand. You just cannot market "crap" BA alongside "premium" BA.

You need a different brand. Why not launch one. I believe the brand "Go" is available.

so thisis where problem is: BA wants to lower its prices to those of Ryanair and easyJet (or worse) to attract highly sensitive passengers. But those won't fork Ł30 to avoid an airport. They will still go for the cheaper option which is still easyjet and Ryanair.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by BA6948
so thisis where problem is: BA wants to lower its prices to those of Ryanair and easyJet (or worse) to attract highly sensitive passengers. But those won't fork Ł30 to avoid an airport. They will still go for the cheaper option which is still easyjet and Ryanair.
Indeed. I've also had conversations with price sensitive folks who will declare a 20 quid saving on a flight wonderful but fail to take into account the extta costs of getting to the airport at Stanstead or the additional costs at the other ends.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 7:28 am

Yup. That's how I read it.

Y slf who use BA are the ones who are stuck with BA and/or LHR.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 7:39 am

Splitting a Brand.

How many of you would buy Crap PG Tips, instead of Premium PG Tips, especially when Crap PG Tips cost more than Tesco's own???

Or Crap Dulux? Farrow and Ball Super Economy ??
Old Jul 27, 2017, 8:00 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Does the average passenger care?
FYI, I wouldn't book an AB longhaul flight for anything but immediate travel right now because I am not confident the airline will exist at any point in the future.

I'd say the same for AZ, too.

So this passenger cares. I wouldn't about a loss making quarter or anything like that, but I care when they are in a situation where they can't support their own cash flow.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Splitting a Brand.

How many of you would buy Crap PG Tips, instead of Premium PG Tips, especially when Crap PG Tips cost more than Tesco's own???

Or Crap Dulux? Farrow and Ball Super Economy ??
It depends on how crap the crap is. The OH buys a lot if Waitrose Essentials items, which certainly aren't crap!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.