Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ABBA - anyone but BA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by nallison
Err, yes, I l know, that's exactly what I said in the part chose not to quote. And such demand management has nothing to do with passengers up front subsidising ET.

I don't see any mention of lower fare buckets in their post, only a broad mention of ET, but maybe I missed some context from earlier discussion?
​​​​
Indeed, it's not about subsidizing it's about making as much money from the plane as possible. Hence the ever shifting CE curtain and £59 upgrades

Could BA flights make money without CE? Yes

Could they make as much money? No
Old Jul 25, 2017, 10:39 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Nothing wrong with doing exEU's....I may be buying and nesting them in the future.

I wonder how many exEU passengers fly with BA today compared to 30 or 40 years ago? If BA are dishing out more cheap CW fares to mainland Europeans then it's no wonder they've had to cut costs. If that's the secret to their financial success you can't knock it.
All airline have an ex-Something. AF//LH group can put some low fares in Biz ex-UK or ex-Spain. The whole point of those is to attract customers with a lower price in exchange for the inconvenience to connect at another hub, compared to a direct. Linking ex-EU with the financial performance of BA compared to their competitors is a red herring.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Err, yes, I l know, that's exactly what I said in the part chose not to quote. And such demand management has nothing to do with passengers up front subsidising ET.

I don't see any mention of lower fare buckets in their post, only a broad mention of ET, but maybe I missed some context from earlier discussion?
​​​​
I see we are getting onto semantics. Does the £30 fare make any profit? Assuming no, does the £300 fare make up for the loss on the cheaper fare? If this is the case then the flex fares are cross subsidising the cheaper ones.

Now, BahrainLad may have been a bit clumsy with his inference but it doesn't take a great leap to understand his jist.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fransknorge
All airline have an ex-Something. AF//LH group can put some low fares in Biz ex-UK or ex-Spain. The whole point of those is to attract customers with a lower price in exchange for the inconvenience to connect at another hub, compared to a direct. Linking ex-EU with the financial performance of BA compared to their competitors is a red herring.
Of course the other aspect is that they need to compete in other markets. BA can't charge more than the local competition (unless they have an unbeatable product ) so they have to lower the price to compete. Look at the fares from Scandinavia for example!
Old Jul 25, 2017, 11:15 am
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Originally Posted by srbrenna
I see we are getting onto semantics. Does the £30 fare make any profit? Assuming no, does the £300 fare make up for the loss on the cheaper fare? If this is the case then the flex fares are cross subsidising the cheaper ones.

Now, BahrainLad may have been a bit clumsy with his inference but it doesn't take a great leap to understand his jist.
No, they are not, as this implies lower fares only exist at the grace of more expensive fares up front. Which as the airline industry shows us, is not true. It is not a subsidy, a subsidy has a specific meaning. (my economist hat well and truely on!)

The price of a ET ticket is not linked to what is being charged up front, it is it's own market. And as noted before, the only cabin I'm aware of that I've read as fairly routinely making a loss or at least routinely not making profit is first class. That one could possibly be genuinely considered subsidised as it is considered part of the 'brand' and so airlines accept a loss on it, paid for by profits from other cabins. BA has no similar reason or desire though to carry people at a loss in economy, that is purely revenue maximisaton (there is an important difference).
Old Jul 25, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by subject2load
Oh dear, oh dear, Francis A.

I'm genuinely at a loss to understand why you choose to make your posts so aggressive in tone - rather than simply expressing your own thoughts, and debating without resort to personal attack. Perhaps your annoyance stemmed from the fact that several contributors to the thread have been strongly critical of BA service standards.

Defend BA at all costs if you wish - but please do try to accept also that many others may at times have good cause to adopt a very different stance & perspective. This is a Forum for those who travel on BA and other airlines. It's not a fan club.

You have already talked about me being "hoodwinked", and now you refer rather unkindly to me "spouting" views that you erroneously assume I have only "read elsewhere". You go even further by claiming - without absolutely zero foundation (and totally incorrectly, I might add) - that I lack current-day first-hand experience of BA. Why would you want to make such random assumptions ? Is it just because I don't share your opinion ?

A little more courtesy to fellow-posters please, along with an appreciation that BA's passengers come in many guises.
I am sorry if you feel that my tone was aggressive - it wasn't meant to be. Spouting was probably a poorly selected participle, but I was surprised that you had personally experienced so many of the things which are currently a cause célèbre on here.

My view is very much each to his own and express your opinion, however much it differs from mine.

I certainly do not defend BA at all costs, but I also don't take every post or poster at face value since some clearly have an axe to grind.

I personally think it is important to point out differences, if they are significantly different to my experience. Doesn't make me right or others wrong; just reflects differing experiences and differing views of worth.

That is what make FT what it is and long may it remain troll free.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
@FrancisA - my thanks for coming back with an expression of regret, and also revising your reaction to my post.

I will only add that it can be tempting - though sometimes misguided - to make assumptions as to just what level of first-hand experience different posters here may have of BA, or of air travel generally.

It so happens that I myself have seen a lot of BA over the years, in its various incarnations, dating back further than I care to remember for fear of feeling rather old. I have spent many happy hours onboard their aircraft, almost always in premium cabins longhaul, but quite often 'down the back' for short-haul. I have also had commercial b2b dealings with them in a former life. Let's just say that any comments or views I may express nowadays are purely my own, within the context of many developments & changes to the airline's strategy and customer proposition, as implemented by a whole range of management teams.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
No, they are not, as this implies lower fares only exist at the grace of more expensive fares up front. Which as the airline industry shows us, is not true. It is not a subsidy, a subsidy has a specific meaning. (my economist hat well and truely on!)

The price of a ET ticket is not linked to what is being charged up front, it is it's own market. And as noted before, the only cabin I'm aware of that I've read as fairly routinely making a loss or at least routinely not making profit is first class. That one could possibly be genuinely considered subsidised as it is considered part of the 'brand' and so airlines accept a loss on it, paid for by profits from other cabins. BA has no similar reason or desire though to carry people at a loss in economy, that is purely revenue maximisaton (there is an important difference).
Cognisant that we are derailing this thread, I said cross subsidy. And this is why I said BahrainLad was clumsy in his explanation. This is exactly what is happening. Airlines can charge lower fares in advance exactly because the money will be made up by the more expensive fares. There are other advantages such as getting the moolah way in advance but a passenger paying a £30 fare ex-LHR is not making the money for the seat. A £300 Y pax is. Tot them all up and you start to get to the point of making money for the cabin.

Lets be pedantic and look in the dictionary:

Cross subsidisation is the practice of charging higher prices to one group of consumers to subsidise lower prices for another group.

Cross Subsidy - the process of deliberately assigning costs to items in an account in such a way that some items are undercosted and some overcosted.

Cross Subsidy. This is a pricing strategy in which profits from the sale of one product are used to subsidize sales of a related product.

These are a few. Can this definition be applied here?
srbrenna - Absolutely.
nallison - Nope, not at all
jhjunc likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
You are, of course, quite right. There is one element no one has taken into account as we very rarely mention it, and that is freight. It is highly lucrative and it doesn't kick off about panini or leg room (). I have no recent figures available but freight and mail can pay for a lot of the costs of a flight. I am almost certain that Low Costs carry little or no freight - they'd never achieve those turn around times.

Just a thought.
Good point. Freight does make a difference. There is a reason EK flies 3x a day to Nairobi, you can see it being loaded for the return flight.

But I thought the serious freight in UK increasingly went from places like Stansted as freight people detested getting to and from LHR
Old Jul 25, 2017, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by simons1
Good point. Freight does make a difference. There is a reason EK flies 3x a day to Nairobi, you can see it being loaded for the return flight.

But I thought the serious freight in UK increasingly went from places like Stansted as freight people detested getting to and from LHR
LHR also has a huge Freight Hub. And BA happily fills spare hold space from that facility.

Pure Freight carriers may use other 'London' airports, but there's still plenty of cargo for BA at LHR ... especially using their global route network.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by T8191
LHR also has a huge Freight Hub. And BA happily fills spare hold space from that facility.

Pure Freight carriers may use other 'London' airports, but there's still plenty of cargo for BA at LHR ... especially using their global route network.
I don't doubt that. I guess a weak pound will help that.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by simons1
I don't doubt that. I guess a weak pound will help that.
AFAIK, the freight aspect has been a significant factor long before the Financial World wobbled. Otherwise LHR wouldn't have had a large freight facility in the first place.

http://www.heathrow.com/company/cargo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heathrow_Cargo_Tunnel
Old Jul 25, 2017, 12:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Originally Posted by srbrenna
Cognisant that we are derailing this thread, I said cross subsidy. And this is why I said BahrainLad was clumsy in his explanation. This is exactly what is happening. Airlines can charge lower fares in advance exactly because the money will be made up by the more expensive fares. There are other advantages such as getting the moolah way in advance but a passenger paying a £30 fare ex-LHR is not making the money for the seat. A £300 Y pax is. Tot them all up and you start to get to the point of making money for the cabin.

Lets be pedantic and look in the dictionary:

Cross subsidisation is the practice of charging higher prices to one group of consumers to subsidise lower prices for another group.

Cross Subsidy - the process of deliberately assigning costs to items in an account in such a way that some items are undercosted and some overcosted.

Cross Subsidy. This is a pricing strategy in which profits from the sale of one product are used to subsidize sales of a related product.

These are a few. Can this definition be applied here?
srbrenna - Absolutely.
nallison - Nope, not at all
I see where you're coming from, but I don't believe that definition actually applies here.

The definition of subsidy implies a pre-determined ambition or strategy to offer the product below cost price, usually for some kind of social objective but there are other reasons (see loss leaders in supermarkets to get people in the store).

BA charges higher prices to pax at the front because they will pay it. It's nothing to with a strategy of cross-subsidisation. They're not saying 'lets increase the price of club world tickets because we'd really like to allow some people who can't afford to fly with us the opportunity to do so'.

If they can they'll sell all the tickets at the maximum possible price. That is not a strategy of subsidisation, seats are not deliberately held back to be sold below cost. The cheap tickets would not cost any more if there were not club Europe pax, as the reason they are cheap is that no-one in the market is willing to pay any more for those tickets.

To be honest it's a minor point, but I wanted to correct a common misconception, and the attitude that the rest of us are all travelling at the grace of those at the front.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We only fly Club. We have tried Economy and didn't like it, even on a 1.5 hour sector. We pay the premium for more comfort, space and better service in-flight.

BA s/h ... we pay over the odds [in my perception] in CE for a vacant middle seat, and the same seat and legroom as Economy pax 'enjoy'. OK, we get a meal and drinks, but no way do they justify the price difference. If it was a better package, with proper Business seats, I would be more comfortable with paying the price.

BA l/h ... other options exist, both East- and West-bound. We find the CW product dated and somewhat impractical. We use AA when possible, but the BA route network and BAEC benefits keep us using them on certain routes.

So, what's my point? I really don't care HOW BA juggles it's pricing, accounting, fare buckets or cross-funding. What I DO care about is getting what I perceive as value for money. Sadly, in neither s/h nor l/h do I feel I'm getting that nowadays, which tends to place me in the ABBA camp.

An emotive decision? Of course ... I can't put a cash value on the various aspects of BA's offer as they affect us as customers. We just know that BA isn't what it was, and we really don't enjoy it any more, and having seen better options we use them instead.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 1:21 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
I felt quite a bit like freight myself last time I flew ET. Self-loading so as to not out too much burden on the airline, of course.
Never mind Dear - if they'd lost or damaged you, you'd get far more that €240.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.