Search

Cathay Lounge makes T3 compelling ...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2017, 5:21 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
@dougzz yes - and I also wonder what deal QF struck with CX to change their default lounge from BA.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 7:18 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gustavmahler
Sorry, a bit OT, but what's the restriction at PHL? I was there on a domestic Y AA ticket in February, and while I couldn't use the pre-flight supper (as would be expected), I could get in the lounge OK. The AC at PHL is also the best one I've been in - so light and airy.
Generally BA don't let AA passebgers in and only allow BA ones. The lounges at PHL aren't big as you noticed. There is a thread on it somewhere.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 7:46 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Just as a very small data point here, I think it's a fair proposition to say that a lot of people would never think of using another airline's lounge. I was flying SIN - HKG with a colleague and he had absolutely no idea he could use the Qantas lounge in SIN rather than the default CX one. He was pleasantly surprised at the news.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 8:08 am

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by Geordie405
Just as a very small data point here, I think it's a fair proposition to say that a lot of people would never think of using another airline's lounge. I was flying SIN - HKG with a colleague and he had absolutely no idea he could use the Qantas lounge in SIN rather than the default CX one. He was pleasantly surprised at the news.
+1.

This is very true. The issue is that a lot of people base their opinions only on their experiences. Even if someone flies a few times a month, their "sample size" is way too small to make any meaningful representation of the true picture....you need to see the statistics for that. I was surprised as to how few pax enter lounges "they are not supposed to be in" (this is not specific to CX LHR).

Not only do the partner airline pax bring some extra revenue (I will repeat again that in oneworld it's the operating airline that pays for access), thereby reducing the total costs of operating the lounge, but they actually justify airlines to build slightly bigger lounges, which is a net gain for everyone

PS: If we are talking about the CX LHR lounge, AA pax represent a much higher share of total pax than BA.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 8:44 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi
PS: If we are talking about the CX LHR lounge, AA pax represent a much higher share of total pax than BA.
Hmm I am not so sure about that. Over the last few visits, I've encountered BA and Finnair (based on conversations overhead) flyers but no AA flyers. I am not saying you are wrong. I am just saying it's not a foregone conclusion that most of the non-CX "intruders" are AA flyers.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 8:56 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, *A, Marriott
Originally Posted by Geordie405
I think it's a fair proposition to say that a lot of people would never think of using another airline's lounge.
This. Most people think that you can only use the lounge of the airline you are flyng. And then, there's some trepidation that the lounge manager of the airline you are not flying and do not have a frequent flyer card with might turn you away.

If it weren't for reading FT, I would not have known that I could use the CX J lounge when flying BA out of terminal 3. Went last month for the first time and was very impressed. It wasn't crowded at all, despite a CX flight for HK departing, and the dimsum were fabulous.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 9:01 am

Programs: BA Silver
Does the CX J lounge have champers that I don't have to spend 20 mins chasing down a member of staff to enjoy?
Old Jul 23, 2017, 9:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by smokie36
Does the CX J lounge have champers that I don't have to spend 20 mins chasing down a member of staff to enjoy?
No. Don't risk it.

It's a closely-guarded secret that the BA lounge at T3 is vastly superior to CX's.

Please, please stick to BA's
Old Jul 23, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by Wembleygal
When I was there a couple of weeks ago (flying Finnair), it took 20 minutes for the mixologist to make me a drink. When it finally arrived, it was really weak. I'll stick to the Moet next time I'm afraid.
Oh dear! Were you at the bar, or somewhere else? Certainly you have to be sure the right individual is there, there only seems to be one person on shift who knows how to mix, and he/she might be on a break. I've had negronis, vodka martinis, espresso martinis, all reasonably good, certainly not weak.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 12:01 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
On Saturday I tried the AA T3 F lounge for the first time and was pleasantly surprised at how attentive the service was and how decent the food selection was. It was quite empty as it was between banks of flights. Upon checking in I was asked if I wouldn't prefer the BA lounge but I was visiting with a fellow FTer flying on AA.

I then went to the Elemis spa for a booking i had reserved in advance, then took a quick peak in the BA F lounge, which looked fairly crowded so I headed over to the CX lounge which was busy until QF10 departed after which it was very quiet.

One thing I've noticed about the CX lounge is that the meal portions keep shrinking. For example the amount of fish in the fish and chips has decreased from 3 to 2 to now 1 fairly small piece of fish. I could always order more and it's probably a good way to avoid waste, but it's still interesting. Once the QF lounge opens I imagine the CX lounge will be pretty empty except during CX peak flight times.

Also the bar area in the CX F lounge does mention the bar service in the J lounge should you want a proper mixed drink.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 12:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Howard Long
Oh dear! Were you at the bar, or somewhere else? Certainly you have to be sure the right individual is there, there only seems to be one person on shift who knows how to mix, and he/she might be on a break. I've had negronis, vodka martinis, espresso martinis, all reasonably good, certainly not weak.

Perhaps just bad luck on that day... no worries, still going back in a couple of weeks time, but in the morning, so just Moet
Old Jul 23, 2017, 1:17 pm

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by Wembleygal
Perhaps just bad luck on that day... no worries, still going back in a couple of weeks time, but in the morning, so just Moet

Old Jul 23, 2017, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by xenole
I must cost BA quite a bit especially when I hit every lounge, sometimes more than once, at places like Hong Kong. I tend to have a bit of so.ething here, a bit of something there so it's not as if I'm drinking the place dry, although it adds up at the end of day.
I have been told the fee is only payable once, to the first lounge you go to.

Either way, CX makes a lot of money on its lounges. They wont be restricting access any time soon.

Originally Posted by dylanks
One thing I've noticed about the CX lounge is that the meal portions keep shrinking. For example the amount of fish in the fish and chips has decreased from 3 to 2 to now 1 fairly small piece of fish. I could always order more and it's probably a good way to avoid waste, but it's still interesting. Once the QF lounge opens I imagine the CX lounge will be pretty empty except during CX peak flight times.
I have noticed this too and not just in LHR. It's part of the overall cost cutting i suppose. I prefer self serve buffets for this reason, you're not restricted to the miserly portions the staff serve you.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 2:38 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by LCY8737
Would that be the Castleno or the Henrinot?
It's only the one type now... More cost cutting.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 2:41 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by dylanks

One thing I've noticed about the CX lounge is that the meal portions keep shrinking. For example the amount of fish in the fish and chips has decreased from 3 to 2 to now 1 fairly small piece of fish.
This.

The fish and chips is still one of the best things in any lounge anywhere though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.