Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

We Are Very Sorry to Advise That Your Flight Is Cancelled

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2017, 7:29 am
Original Poster

My wife and I both received a text late last night informing us that BA34 KUL-LHR in January has been cancelled and that we've been rebooked on the same flight on the previous day. We weren't too happy about that so I was going to ring YouFirst tin the morning and get it shifted to the next day.

In fact, all that happened was that the flight's departure time had been shifted back 10 minutes, from 00:05 to 23:55. All we had to do then was to reselect our seats.

Isn't it a bit drastic to say that the flight is cancelled under those circumstances, or is this normal practice if the date of departure changes?

At least BA were very sorry...
Old Jul 22, 2017, 7:30 am

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by SteveF
My wife and I both received a text late last night informing us that BA34 KUL-LHR in January has been cancelled and that we've been rebooked on the same flight on the previous day. We weren't too happy about that so I was going to ring YouFirst tin the morning and get it shifted to the next day.

In fact, all that happened was that the flight's departure time had been shifted back 10 minutes, from 00:05 to 23:55. All we had to do then was to reselect our seats.

Isn't it a bit drastic to say that the flight is cancelled under those circumstances, or is this normal practice if the date of departure changes?

At least BA were very sorry...
i just had precisely the same thing with a NBO booking today! Strange
Old Jul 22, 2017, 8:49 am

I just got BA to move a booking that had a schedule change by 50 minutes to something more suitable. Call them and they will (should) be flexible.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd
I just got BA to move a booking that had a schedule change by 50 minutes to something more suitable. Call them and they will (should) be flexible.
I don't think that was the OPs point. The flight time has only changed by 10 mins but they were told it was cancelled.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by simons1
I don't think that was the OPs point. The flight time has only changed by 10 mins but they were told it was cancelled.
I was giving a point that BA seem to be somewhat flexible if you are subject to a cancellation/change.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 9:11 am

This is at least the third year in a row that this has happened. It's pretty stupid.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...er-2017-a.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ight-time.html
Old Jul 22, 2017, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rossmacd
I was giving a point that BA seem to be somewhat flexible if you are subject to a cancellation/change.
Yes they are, but in my case I'm quite happy to have 10 minutes less to wait at KUL.

I'm also a bit surprised that they cancelled the original flight just to shift it ten minutes, and now everyone has to reselect their seats.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
This is at least the third year in a row that this has happened. It's pretty stupid.

Interesting that in those two examples the OPs were moved to flights on the same day, so almost 24 hours earlier, whereas we were (correctly) shifted to the previous day (10 minutes earlier), rather than a flight almost 24 hours later .
Old Jul 22, 2017, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by SteveF
Interesting that in those two examples the OPs were moved to flights on the same day, so almost 24 hours earlier, whereas we were (correctly) shifted to the previous day (10 minutes earlier), rather than a flight almost 24 hours later .
Ah right, I misread your post and assumed the same thing had happened to you. Some progress then!
Old Jul 22, 2017, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Ah right, I misread your post and assumed the same thing had happened to you. Some progress then!
Probably more luck than judgement. I expect that they'll notice the "error" and move us to one almost 24 hours later next week.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Just a thought, maybe the flights are 'cancelled' in the system as (technically) they are now scheduled for a different date ?
This is the only reason I could think of, BA don't normally cancel flights for a minor time change, unlike AA.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 9:53 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher

Exactly what I was about to say too.

Happened to me last year, and I recall there being quite a bit of panic - but it was swiftly resolved by calling BA.

M
Old Jul 22, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Wow. Last time it happened to me on BA, they just said we have changed your flight time. (The change was like 10 minutes!)
Old Jul 22, 2017, 11:06 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Skywards Silver
It happened to us on a flight back from GIG a couple of years ago, message was flight cancelled and automatically rebooked a day earlier. The flight was due to leave at 23:50 and was delayed to 00:05 the next day, so we were booked onto a flight leaving nearly a day earlier. Had to call and persuade them ( with difficulty) to let us switch back to original flight. Dumb computer system and not very helpful CS.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 11:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
It's an IT enhancement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.