Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Which business lounges are better than their accompanying 1sts?

Old Jul 20, 2017, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond

So, I'm sat here at IAH waiting for a slightly late BA196 and its the first time I've flown through here as a Gold. So I was somewhat surprised when the friendly lounge assistant in the Galleries lounge directed me to the 1st lounge that I hadn't even realised existed previously. The 1st lounge dragon seemed grumpy when I went in.. then I realised that rather than a fairly good view of the apron I'd get a birds-eye onto the D terminal passenger dropoff zone. Additionally the lounge was being run on the library / morgue principal (total silence except for the occasional sniffing / sobbing) . Too late, I'd procured a rather nice St Arnold Summer Pils so was force to wait it out whilst I drank that (waste not want not and all that). Horror, the sandwiches were curling.

Beer dispatched I made my excuses and hurried back to the safety and comfort of the Galleries lounge. I may have sacrificed unfettered access to champagne (only Prosecco on view in Galleries, pretty sure they used to have Verve Clicqout), but gain a nice seat with a view, fresh sandwiches, friendly reception, extra space and background music.

So, as I sit on one of the high chairs looking out over D9 I wonder.. are there other outposts where the business lounge trumps its more high falutin 1st class brethren? Is it worth mentioning in the lounge DB?
Old Jul 20, 2017, 7:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I prefer the JFK Business over First - Its much bigger and I like the outdoor terrace for having a quick drink before the flight.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 10:11 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
I'm flying 196 next week in F and had read up about this lounge. The "reviews" I saw claimed it was small but good enough. Pics looked pretty dire though and you seem to echo that.

I think I'll check out the Centurion Amex lounge instead.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 10:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold
BDA F lounge is similarly bad. Claustrophobic and bad lighting. I only use it if I don't feel like bumping into people I know in the Business lounge.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
I would add SFO to the list... the F lounge is a room at the entrance to the main Terraces lounge...
Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:39 pm

Programs: BAEC - Gold, IHG - Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Acid
I prefer the JFK Business over First - Its much bigger and I like the outdoor terrace for having a quick drink before the flight.
i agree with this. Plus you've got the pre flight dining room, the kids play room, the Elemis spa and the showers in the Business lounge. I find the First lounge dark and gloomy.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:50 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
JFK definitely. Possibly also SFO and SEA (can't decide about that one). And ignoring food and drink provision, perhaps LGW too. Nothing wrong with the Flounge, just think the Club lounge is a nicer space.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Dubai

We could also have a 'when is the Priority Pass lounge better than the BA lounge' thread ....
Old Jul 21, 2017, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
The question should almost be reversed. Outside of LHR and LGW very few F lounges are actually nicer than their J counterpart. They may be a little bit less crowded, but amenities are typically exactly the same and space far more claustrophobic. Exceptions as part of BA's own lounge network are few and far between!

Last edited by orbitmic; Jul 21, 2017 at 1:34 am
Old Jul 21, 2017, 12:39 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by orbitmic
The question should almost be reversed. Outside of LHR and LGW very few F lounges are actually nicer than their J counterpart. They may be a little bit less crowded, but amenities are typically exactly the same and space far more claustrophobic. Exceptions as part of BA's own network lounge are few and far between!
you cant have been to any of the major airports then. There are some pretty nice OW F lounges out there.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by jday
you cant have been to any of the major airports then. There are some pretty nice OW F lounges out there.
Yes, I would agree with the OneWorld bit - some stunning OW F lounges around the network.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 12:58 am

Isn't the BA Business lounge at Gatwick better than the First lounge? It certainly is when your flight departs before 07:30!

Palmer
Old Jul 21, 2017, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by jday
Perhaps you missed that bit in my post?:

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Exceptions as part of BA's own lounge network are few and far between!
ie I am not talking about CX or QF F but about BA F lounges specifically.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 2:08 am

Programs: BA Gold
I actually prefer the new J lounge at Gatwick to the F lounge. More space, better atmosphere, better choice of food. Only downside is that for self pour fizz you have to go back over the other side.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 2:17 am

SIN - the main lounge is nicer than the pokey CCR offering although the adjacent QF lounge is better than them both.

Not BA lounges but one I'm sure many BA passenger use frequently - The Pier J at HKG is arguably nicer than The Pier F, and certainly nicer than The Wing F.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.