BOB 2.30 for some hot water !!

Old Jul 22, 2017, 9:39 am

Programs: not a lot
Originally Posted by LordBuckethead
I'm sure there are very many crew who would love to do the same, but have not been empowered by their employers to behave this way. As such, they could find themselves in trouble if they did.
To Serve Hot Water, To Be in Hot Water.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 9:40 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by LiviLion
To Serve Hot Water, To Be in Hot Water.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by PJSMITH0
I cannot think of any hotel, restaurant or cafe where I could walk in with just a tea bag or cofffee satchet and expect to be provided with a free cup/mug of hot water. You would be laughed out of the place.
but that's not at all what you are doing. You paid for the room. You are a resident at the hotel. The elderly gentleman did not just storm in a random ba plane just to get hot water, the comparison is wholly unrealistic.

Once you you are a paying customer at that hotel having your room which you paid for, I can assure you that you can ask for hot water and in 99% of cases or more the hotel will give it to you for free and not say 'hang on a minute, we have tea in room service so we'll charge you for that even if you only want water'
Old Jul 22, 2017, 11:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by eiflyer
Sometimes this site appears to be just like trip advisor.
People sitting watching and hoping for the slightest little complaint about BA to get a week of sitting on the top thread.
The whole "I flew 2000 miles to be insulted brigade" are regulars on here and some to be nothing but cheapskates looking everything for nothing.
It does seem to have become a battle ground between those who are happy to fly BA and those who continually tell us they won't.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
It does seem to have become a battle ground between those who are happy to fly BA and those who continually tell us they won't.
I think it's mostly just become a battleground between those who are ready to jump on BA for anything and those who are white knighting for BA on every single occasion regardless of the scenario. The same dozen or so usernames quickly will stand out if you read the forum enough.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by Ber2dca
I think it's mostly just become a battleground between those who are ready to jump on BA for anything and those who are white knighting for BA on every single occasion regardless of the scenario. The same dozen or so usernames quickly will stand out if you read the forum enough.
You see I don't think that has played out in this thread. There have been some names who never say anything good about BA, yes, however I do not see any 'white knights' in this thread. In my case, for instance, many of my posts have been critical of BA, just not in this thread.

It is more the case, in my experience, that anyone who 'dares' to take a contrary view to the anti-BA gang are mocked and bullied - as in fact has happened in this thread. Really rather pathetic, imo.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 11:54 am
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
You see I don't think that has played out in this thread. There have been some names who never say anything good about BA, yes, however I do not see any 'white knights' in this thread. In my case, for instance, many of my posts have been critical of BA, just not in this thread.

It is more the case, in my experience, that anyone who 'dares' to take a contrary view to the anti-BA gang are mocked and bullied - as in fact has happened in this thread. Really rather pathetic, imo.
This is the trouble, everyone only sees things from their own perspective. In balance, I would say there are similar numbers on both sides, but those generally more loyal only notice those who are more critical, and vice versa. It's simple human nature, you will notice more that which offends you and you take exception to. You probably don't notice many of the 'white-knights' because you tend to agree and skim over them. There are certainly plenty of threads where someone with a legitimate complaint is ganged up on and put down/ridiculed and told they only had themselves to blame. This often happens to a new member which makes it even more ugly.

It's like the right wing always complaining the BBC is too left wing, the left wing complaining it is a mouthpiece for government, in truth it is probably in the middle.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 12:19 pm

Programs: AZ FA+, BA & UA Gold
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
It is this type of absurdity and the nasty usurious impression it leaves that made SK, who made the same move a number of years ago, backtrack and start offering coffee, tea, and cups of bottled water free of charge. Strikes a fair balance and is psychologically wise: Once people have forgotten they used to get everything for free, they'll be happy to get something for free, and even encouraged to spend some money on something to have with their hot beverage rather than leaving in a fury swearing never to set foot on the carrier again. But of course Alex Cruz is way too arrogant to draw upon anybody else's experience.
Who knows, really? Cruz's cuts might just be in the middle of a long con
Old Jul 22, 2017, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by nallison
This is the trouble, everyone only sees things from their own perspective. In balance, I would say there are similar numbers on both sides, but those generally more loyal only notice those who are more critical, and vice versa. It's simple human nature, you will notice more that which offends you and you take exception to. You probably don't notice many of the 'white-knights' because you tend to agree and skim over them. There are certainly plenty of threads where someone with a legitimate complaint is ganged up on and put down/ridiculed and told they only had themselves to blame. This often happens to a new member which makes it even more ugly.

It's like the right wing always complaining the BBC is too left wing, the left wing complaining it is a mouthpiece for government, in truth it is probably in the middle.
You seem to be assuming that everyone has a 'side' however. I don't! And I expect most people reading this don't either.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 12:46 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
I'm trying to figure out if your post is patronising, sarcastic or just plain rude
No, I was deadly serious. I've seen some of the copy and paste responses given by CS, and the way you wrote that paragraph was spot on.

You seem to be assuming that everyone has a 'side' however. I don't! And I expect most people reading this don't either.
Of course there are sides, there are those that think BA should have charged for the hot water and those that don't.

I, for one, can see the logic that crew have to account for all cups from the BoB stock, but I still think it's stingy of BA to charge for hot water. Let's also not forget, it's not entirely inconceivable that the elderly gentleman in question didn't know that BA now charges for food and drinks. The fact that he had to get his bank card from the overhead locker suggests that he may well not have known. Not all passengers get e-mails from BA.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by headingwest
No, I was deadly serious. I've seen some of the copy and paste responses given by CS, and the way you wrote that paragraph was spot on.
OK, well I'm hearing that you are saying that you were serious in your post, including your congratulations and thumbs up. I saw it differently. What I saw was a mocking and somewhat scathing post that sought to ridicule someone. I just don't think it needs to be like that.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 3:31 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by Prospero
Surely the solution to this situation would be loading a supplementary supply of paper cups which are not subject to Tourvests stock control. The passenger travelling with his/her own tea or wanting hot water and lemon will be happier. The crew will be happier too.
Cue an enterprising passenger who boards with a few paper cups of their own, a box of PG Tips, and flogs them for a pound a pop ....

#DragonsDen
Old Jul 22, 2017, 5:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Cue an enterprising passenger who boards with a few paper cups of their own, a box of PG Tips, and flogs them for a pound a pop ....

#DragonsDen
I'll bring some Tesco sandwiches... Even with a 100% markup on Express prices they'll still be cheaper than BA's!!
Old Jul 22, 2017, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I think your statement illustrates what nallison says: you don't think you're in a camp because you sometimes criticise ba but many of those you see as the anti-ba bullies see you as part of the 'white knights' in the same way that I certainly don't see myself as 'anti-ba' and have defended them on many threads but no doubt many think I'm decidedly a ba critic of the worst kind.

in other words, there is no prize for all feeling that we specifically (and the people we agree with) are in fact nuanced and balanced whilst only 'others' are bigoted and have an agenda especially if you feel only one 'camp' does.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 9:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I think your statement illustrates what nallison says: you don't think you're in a camp because you sometimes criticise ba but many of those you see as the anti-ba bullies see you as part of the 'white knights' in the same way that I certainly don't see myself as 'anti-ba' and have defended them on many threads but no doubt many think I'm decidedly a ba critic of the worst kind.

in other words, there is no prize for all feeling that we specifically (and the people we agree with) are in fact nuanced and balanced whilst only 'others' are bigoted and have an agenda especially if you feel only one 'camp' does.
Thank you, that's exactly what I meant

I fully admit my posts tend to be on the more critical side. And plenty of regular posters could be identified as more sympathetic or not in general. Nothing wrong with that.

What can be frustrating is when some who do tend do take a particular line whatever the circumstances, act rather indignantly when anyone points it out, while at the same they go round accusing others whose opinion isn't in line with their own of 'having an agenda' or such like.

Your second paragraph nails it, basically everyone thinks they are the balanced rational ones, and see others through that prism. I'm sure I'm guilty of it, everyone should perhaps occasionally ask themselves if they are really just the mirror of the people they condemn

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.