FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BOB £2.30 for some hot water !! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1855250-bob-2-30-some-hot-water.html)

Passmethesickbag Jul 22, 2017 3:47 am

It is this type of absurdity and the nasty usurious impression it leaves that made SK, who made the same move a number of years ago, backtrack and start offering coffee, tea, and cups of bottled water free of charge. Strikes a fair balance and is psychologically wise: Once people have forgotten they used to get everything for free, they'll be happy to get something for free, and even encouraged to spend some money on something to have with their hot beverage rather than leaving in a fury swearing never to set foot on the carrier again. But of course Alex Cruz is way too arrogant to draw upon anybody else's experience.

FlyerTalker688786 Jul 22, 2017 3:47 am

Originally Posted by PJSMITH0 (Post 28591197)
I cannot think of any hotel, restaurant or cafe where I could walk in with just a tea bag or cofffee satchet and expect to be provided with a free cup/mug of hot water. You would be laughed out of the place.

I have. In Holiday Inn Wuhan Riverside, during breakfast, I asked for a cup of hot water as the hot tea they serve is not to my taste. I have Twinnings Breakfast Tea bag with me. The server happily provided a cup with hot water and I opened my own tea bag in front of the waitress.

In fact, in any four and five stars hotel in China, and in many places in Asia, hotel restaurants will be happy to provide hot water on request any time. And as I said, you have to be a PAYING customer as you are a PAYING passenger on BA. You have to compare the scenarios when consider the customer is a paying customer.

eiflyer Jul 22, 2017 4:29 am

Originally Posted by chongcao (Post 28591212)
I have. In Holiday Inn Wuhan Riverside, during breakfast, I asked for a cup of hot water as the hot tea they serve is not to my taste. I have Twinnings Breakfast Tea bag with me. The server happily provided a cup with hot water and I opened my own tea bag in front of the waitress.

In fact, in any four and five stars hotel in China, and in many places in Asia, hotel restaurants will be happy to provide hot water on request any time. And as I said, you have to be a PAYING customer as you are a PAYING passenger on BA. You have to compare the scenarios when consider the customer is a paying customer.

I agree with you totally but you have paid or gotten breakfast as an elite so that is all included. Imagine if every third person on a BA flight decided to bring tea bags and empty water bottles on. Kind of renders the revenue stream useless.
Being in the hospitality business myself it is laughable the amount of people who get annoyed when fillet steak is more expensive than rib eye or that they can but bottles of beer cheaper in Sainsbury's. Or can a bus trip bring their own sandwiches into our establishment. No one on this forum would go to work for free so I can't understand why they expect a large company to either.

LordBuckethead Jul 22, 2017 4:29 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic (Post 28590555)
You keep missing my point which is that airlines are not restaurants. Selling food and drink is not their primary business but an ancillary business they propose to people who have already paid for the primary product.

Thats why I'm suggesting the hotel model instead

So - entirely hypothetically you understand - if an airline didn't have bev makers on its aircraft, what would happen? Would they not be allowed to fly? Would customers be expected to go without a free mug of hot water?

Dave_C Jul 22, 2017 4:34 am

Originally Posted by LordBuckethead (Post 28591248)
So - entirely hypothetically you understand - if an airline didn't have bev makers on its aircraft, what would happen? Would they not be allowed to fly? Would customers be expected to go without a free mug of hot water?

This is British Airways. If the flight deck can't get a brew, then the aircraft is unlikely to go anywhere. :D

PUCCI GALORE Jul 22, 2017 4:52 am

Originally Posted by eiflyer (Post 28591120)
Sometimes this site appears to be just like trip advisor.
People sitting watching and hoping for the slightest little complaint about BA to get a week of sitting on the top thread.
The whole "I flew 2000 miles to be insulted brigade" are regulars on here and some to be nothing but cheapskates looking everything for nothing.

That outburst sums up the negative side of FT perfectly. Like Trip Advisor, I wonder if the person has even flown BA - at least the BA that I know. It has become as though we live through another day, another drama and there are some axes so sharp that they'd be worthy of Gimli the Drawf. As for the cheapskates - this has come from these days of cheap upgrades (POUGs ro whatever). If people are offered them, I hope that they grab them with both hands - I would. It's just that if you want to be sure that you want a better class, then pay for it.

BA is about as imperfect as they come but it has become a litany of "BA, Dreadful as usual, did , upset, failed to recognise - and it is always someone else who is to blame. That is part of the problem of the internet. Safe within the anonymity of the internet, I can say what I like and accuse how I please. It's become the equivalent of - it's in the papers, ergo it must be true.

To think that we now live in days when people are bringing teabags aboard, still I'd rather that the sight of people putting their feet up on the bulkhead. Now, I am wearing the wrong shade of lipstick to remain serious for this length of time, and a G&T calls!

Flexible preferences Jul 22, 2017 5:29 am

Originally Posted by headingwest (Post 28591202)
Wow! I think BA customer relations might seriously consider asking you if they can use this comment for copy and paste! Well done!! ^

But really, who are the cheapskates here, the passengers or BA?

I'm trying to figure out if your post is patronising, sarcastic or just plain rude :td:

Regarding Dave_C's marginal cost argument - I do get that, and the same argument can be applied to other examples given here such as restaurants etc. However, why should the fixed costs involved be only shared amongst those who do pay for the service (or pay a CW fare that includes the service)? Especially when those fixed costs make up most of the cost. It seems unfair to me to have an expectation, entitlement even, to have something for free when it in effect free-loads on the back of other's expenditure.

mapleg Jul 22, 2017 5:50 am

In many parts of the world restaurants allow patrons to bring their own bottle of wine, but they charge a corkage fee--and it can sometimes be very expensive. Not because it costs the restaurant much money (how much can opening a bottle and washing a few glasses cost?), but because you are eating into their revenue stream by not purchasing overpriced wine from the restaurant.

Bring your own teabag? Then pay a tea-baggage fee.

mapleg Jul 22, 2017 5:52 am

Originally Posted by chongcao (Post 28591111)
You have to understand a BA passenger had paid his fares thus in the airplane he is a PAYING customer rather than a passer-by to any restaurant. You have to compare the scenario based on the customer to the restaurant as a PAYING customer.

He paid to sit in a seat and get from A to B. That may or may not include getting free cold or hot water.

Dave_C Jul 22, 2017 6:06 am

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences (Post 28591377)
I'm trying to figure out if your post is patronising, sarcastic or just plain rude :td:

Regarding Dave_C's marginal cost argument - I do get that, and the same argument can be applied to other examples given here such as restaurants etc. However, why should the fixed costs involved be only shared amongst those who do pay for the service (or pay a CW fare that includes the service)? Especially when those fixed costs make up most of the cost. It seems unfair to me to have an expectation, entitlement even, to have something for free when it in effect free-loads on the back of other's expenditure.

This is exactly the thinking that's going on with the BA management team at the moment which is why it's so screwed up.

The reason you do this is because it's all about customer service. It's about delivering a great experience onboard the aircraft and turning your passengers into advocates that will come back again and again.

The total cost to BA for giving someone a Club Europe mug and hot water is in the pennies. If that person gets the warm and fuzzies, they're likely to spend more money by booking again, as opposed to being so grumpy they go to the competition.

Flexible preferences Jul 22, 2017 6:12 am

Originally Posted by Dave_C (Post 28591428)
This is exactly the thinking that's going on with the BA management team at the moment which is why it's so screwed up.

The reason you do this is because it's all about customer service. It's about delivering a great experience onboard the aircraft and turning your passengers into advocates that will come back again and again.

The total cost to BA for giving someone a Club Europe mug and hot water is in the pennies. If that person gets the warm and fuzzies, they're likely to spend more money by booking again, as opposed to being so grumpy they go to the competition.

But imagine if your point was widely applied in the real world. A croissant probably costs 10 or 20p to Caffe Nero. Imagine if I went in, purchased a nice cup of coffee, then asked if I could just have one of their croissants for free. They refuse, then I get grumpy and say I'm never buying from you again! Or I notice my friendly greengrocer has a lot of apples, and after I've bought my vegetables I say may I just have one of those lovely juicy apples for free? He says no, I get grumpy and vow never to shop there again. To me your point just doesn't seem realistic.

Dave_C Jul 22, 2017 6:29 am

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences (Post 28591440)
But imagine if your point was widely applied in the real world. A croissant probably costs 10 or 20p to Caffe Nero. Imagine if I went in, purchased a nice cup of coffee, then asked if I could just have one of their croissants for free. They refuse, then I get grumpy and say I'm never buying from you again! Or I notice my friendly greengrocer has a lot of apples, and after I've bought my vegetables I say may I just have one of those lovely juicy apples for free? He says no, I get grumpy and vow never to shop there again. To me your point just doesn't seem realistic.

None of those are in any way analogous to what we're talking about.

Besides, the scenario I'm talking about is very much real world, and not hypothetical in the slightest.

I think it also touches on a further point about how (some) cabin crew feel they lack discretion to deliver upon, or exceed customer expectations.

I'm sure there are some old school EuroFleet CSDs that simply would have brought down a mug of hot water without thinking about it, simply because it's the right thing to do for that customer.

Flexible preferences Jul 22, 2017 6:38 am

Originally Posted by Dave_C (Post 28591465)
None of those are in any way analogous to what we're talking about.

Besides, the scenario I'm talking about is very much real world, and not hypothetical in the slightest.

I think it also touches on a further point about how (some) cabin crew feel they lack discretion to deliver upon, or exceed customer expectations.

I'm sure there are some old school EuroFleet CSDs that simply would have brought down a mug of hot water without thinking about it, simply because it's the right thing to do for that customer.

But the principle in my examples is exactly the same. A paying customer wants something of low marginal value to be given to them for free, is refused it, and the blame is unreasonably apportioned to the supplier.

Tobias-UK Jul 22, 2017 6:46 am

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences (Post 28591481)
But the principle in my examples is exactly the same. A paying customer wants something of low marginal value to be given to them for free, is refused it, and the blame is unreasonably apportioned to the supplier.

Quite, people have to accept that BA short haul economy is now BoB. No matter how much we dislike it, it is what we have to put up with or go elsewhere. BA will gladly provide hot water free of charge if you have a suitable receptacle, if not then it is BoB or do without. We should not expect to receive a Club Europe mug or a crew cup. This is the product folks, don't expect to receive you do not pay for.

HilFly Jul 22, 2017 7:22 am

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences (Post 28591440)

You are not comparing the same situations.

I actually bought a cup of tea in Starbucks yesterday, then asked for a cup of water with ice. They gave me a cup of water with ice, a lid and a straw. The service in Starbucks makes me happy as a customer, and as a shareholder.