FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BOB £2.30 for some hot water !! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1855250-bob-2-30-some-hot-water.html)

Flexible preferences Jul 21, 2017 12:26 am

Originally Posted by mapleg (Post 28586172)
If I walk into a restaurant with a teabag and ask for a cup of hot water....will they charge me money? Of course.

You don't expect them to provide it for free.

Absolutely. They are a business and their costs are considerable. Fair's fair.

Shouldn't this thread be merged into the experiences of BoB thread?

orbitmic Jul 21, 2017 12:31 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE (Post 28586706)
So this person brought a tea bag on board and drinks black tea?

Actually, OP says: "I can't comment on what type of tea bag it was, herbal or otherwise ". I for one would not touch regular tea with a barge pole, and unlike others here, I find even BA's "new" coffee poor (I'm a tiny espresso sort of guy), so I only drink herbal stuff and if I want a hot drink, I regularly bring my own (including sometimes in J and F depending on the airline I fly. I would certainly object to paying £2.30 for hot water and find that incredibly petty.

FlyerTalker688786 Jul 21, 2017 1:09 am

You can buy 1100 Tetley Tea Bags from Costco for £13.99, equals £0.013 per tea bag. Twinnings are perceived to be more expensive, but not far off £0.012-0.019 range per tea bag if you can find the wholesaler. And few years back, you could get 640 Twinning's tea bag for £3.75 which is less than £0.006 per bag (cir. 2009).

So I guess we can conclude that the hot water on board British Airways is expensive. Or, we can say that the cup made for BA is very expensive.

ANstar Jul 21, 2017 1:13 am

Cheap move on BA's part. Even easyjet will give free hot water if requested.

Tobias-UK Jul 21, 2017 1:17 am

Originally Posted by chongcao (Post 28586802)
You can buy 1100 Tetley Tea Bags from Costco for £13.99, equals £0.013 per tea bag. Twinnings are perceived to be more expensive, but not far off £0.012-0.019 range per tea bag if you can find the wholesaler. And few years back, you could get 640 Twinning's tea bag for £3.75 which is less than £0.006 per bag (cir. 2009).

So I guess we can conclude that the hot water on board British Airways is expensive. Or, we can say that the cup made for BA is very expensive.

No, if you provide your own receptacle the hot water will be provided without charge. If you don't provide the receptacle then you will have to purchase the pre-portioned tea cup from the BoB trolley. If the crew give that away their stock will be down when reconciled.

Discus Jul 21, 2017 1:24 am

Originally Posted by chongcao (Post 28586802)

What is expensive is logistics around catering in general, bob or not-bob.

Start adding up for catering facilities, purchase/inventory, handling in facility, security, handling at airport (to the planes and from the planes) etc. etc. it really adds up. It is not the tea-bags nor paper-cups that drives the cost here.

FlyerTalker688786 Jul 21, 2017 1:25 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK (Post 28586817)
No, if you provide your own receptacle the hot water will be provided without charge. If you don't provide the receptacle then you will have to purchase the pre-portioned tea cup from the BoB trolley. If the crew give that away their stock will be down when reconciled.

Yes we know that.

And I am not sure what you are saying NO for. What you confirmed is that the receptacle cup is the main cost factor in BA's expensive tea. Which incidentally is the second component of my conclusion. :confused:

FlyerTalker688786 Jul 21, 2017 1:30 am

Originally Posted by Discus (Post 28586827)
What is expensive is logistics around catering in general, bob or not-bob.

Start adding up for catering facilities, purchase/inventory, handling in facility, security, handling at airport (to the planes and from the planes) etc. etc. it really adds up. It is not the tea-bags nor paper-cups that drives the cost here.

I think you are defending BA too much here.

Catering facilities, purchase/inventory, handling in facility, security, handling in airport is included in BA's deal. It was never a big issue when catering is free/complimentary. It is not 'expensive' as you perceived. And it is certainly not as expensive as £0.50 per cup. The only added cost for selling a cup of tea is the IT investment to accept card payment.

Let us put this way, due to BA's legacy cost structure, when you pay for your ticket, all those catering facility costs you mentioned is included.

orbitmic Jul 21, 2017 1:32 am

Originally Posted by chongcao (Post 28586833)
What you confirmed is that the receptacle cup is the main cost factor in BA's expensive tea.

Actually, what Tobias-UK confirmed is not even that the cup is expensive (it costs BA nothing undoubtedly) but just that it is the count unit for reconciliation. So the decision to charge for the cup is unrelated to costs of any form and purely related to the bureaucratic arrangement between the supplier and the BoB company.

Prospero Jul 21, 2017 1:49 am

Surely the solution to this situation would be loading a supplementary supply of paper cups which are not subject to Tourvest’s stock control. The passenger travelling with his/her own tea or wanting hot water and lemon will be happier. The crew will be happier too.

escape2sun Jul 21, 2017 1:53 am

Originally Posted by mapleg (Post 28586172)
If I walk into a restaurant with a teabag and ask for a cup of hot water....will they charge me money? Of course.

You don't expect them to provide it for free.

I have a friend who either drinks hot water, or hot water with a slice of lemon, and we have never, ever been charged for the hot water in a restaurant or even a coffee shop. They even quite happily provide a cup for free as well

BrianWBrazil Jul 21, 2017 2:00 am

Where does one draw the line? Imagine 20 passengers asking for their own Pot Noodles to be hydrated with the free hot water.

FlyerTalker688786 Jul 21, 2017 2:02 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic (Post 28586844)
Actually, what Tobias-UK confirmed is not even that the cup is expensive (it costs BA nothing undoubtedly) but just that it is the count unit for reconciliation. So the decision to charge for the cup is unrelated to costs of any form and purely related to the bureaucratic arrangement between the supplier and the BoB company.

Thanks! :)

Originally Posted by Prospero (Post 28586878)
Surely the solution to this situation would be loading a supplementary supply of paper cups which are not subject to Tourvest’s stock control. The passenger travelling with his/her own tea or wanting hot water and lemon will be happier. The crew will be happier too.

Sound like a good idea to me! Bring back the old BA cups that was made from recycled materials with BA logo!

FlyerTalker688786 Jul 21, 2017 2:04 am

Originally Posted by BrianWBrazil (Post 28586907)
Where does one draw the line? Imagine 20 passengers asking for their own Pot Noodles to be hydrated with the free hot water.

It does not happen in 99% of the BOB market BA is current serving.

ahmetdouas Jul 21, 2017 2:10 am

Originally Posted by ANstar (Post 28586807)
Cheap move on BA's part. Even easyjet will give free hot water if requested.

Originally Posted by YoungSoloTraveler (Post 28585360)
This is pretty pathetic, I'd expect this from Ryan Air. Not "British Airways". Oh how the mighty have fallen.

I do thank British Airways for their avios program. CX 7500 redemption :cool:

I'm suprised that after many months of BOB now, people are still thinking that BA is superior to FR or U2 on short haul economy. They are not, so please no more 'even Easyjet' or 'i'd expect this from Ryan Air not British Airways'!

Basically jump on a BA flight short haul and do not expect anything in terms of service in economy, at least for free.