Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BOB £2.30 for some hot water !!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2017, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by nallison
Thank you, that's exactly what I meant

I fully admit my posts tend to be on the more critical side. And plenty of regular posters could be identified as more sympathetic or not in general. Nothing wrong with that.

What can be frustrating is when some who do tend do take a particular line whatever the circumstances, act rather indignantly when anyone points it out, while at the same they go round accusing others whose opinion isn't in line with their own of 'having an agenda' or such like.

Your second paragraph nails it, basically everyone thinks they are the balanced rational ones, and see others through that prism. I'm sure I'm guilty of it, everyone should perhaps occasionally ask themselves if they are really just the mirror of the people they condemn
Exactly.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 6:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Man those rules on air ticket sales and airport security must have changed a hell of a lot in those past few minutes. I'm really glad everyone can now just walk into à ba plane without a ticket just to have a glass of water or a sandwich even paid without needing a ticket or anything. This is going to be a great improvement when it comes to weekend drinks with my friends! 😁

What the elderly gentleman did is that he got and paid for a hotel room, did not order from the room service but did call for a bucket of ice. And yes hotels will gladly deliver those too, not every company in the sector is as oblivious to the very concept of hospitality (of paid customers) as ba.
I don't disagree that this is the case. However, in the hotel industry free provision of ice, which could be to accompany mini-bar items anyway, is the norm.

Secondly, the point about paying for the flight is only relevant if this is the core business. In economy BA is behaving more like an LCC. In this case what would be ancillaries previously, become core business.

Clearly BA are not at the point where secondary sales and upselling are their core business and the largest source of their profits, but clearly they are discouraging behaviour that could impact on this business.

On airlines where secondary sales are the core business (FR, U2 etc), trying taking your own drinks or asking for free hot water!
Old Jul 23, 2017, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by FrancisA
I don't disagree that this is the case. However, in the hotel industry free provision of ice, which could be to accompany mini-bar items anyway, is the norm.

Secondly, the point about paying for the flight is only relevant if this is the core business. In economy BA is behaving more like an LCC. In this case what would be ancillaries previously, become core business.

Clearly BA are not at the point where secondary sales and upselling are their core business and the largest source of their profits, but clearly they are discouraging behaviour that could impact on this business.

On airlines where secondary sales are the core business (FR, U2 etc), trying taking your own drinks or asking for free hot water!
the second point is interesting - there may be a time when we indeed reach that point and that could become interesting. That said, as you point out we are far from it yet, some plane tickets certainly are very expensive not least for those of us connecting to long haul destinations inflexible Y or W.

also you are actually over pessimistic on the last point. I'm no big FR user but do U2 regularly and have asked for hot water multiple times and never been charged a single one. I believe someone else referred to the same experience upthread. Again I don't tend to ask to save cash but because I only drink some herbal stuff and U2 and Ba tea collections don't fit my needs.

as for hotel, true but I've also had both hot water and ice given to me for free. I tend to go down to the bar with my cup not to give anyone extra work but I've done this many a time. I'd also mention an increasing number of hotels don't do minibars at all and I've found them just as helpful!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.