Help: ? about same day earlier flight

Old Jul 19, 2017, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-gold(MM); Marriott-Lifetime Titanium Elite; Hilton-Gold;
Help: ? about same day earlier flight

I am flying MIA-LHR-ZRH then AMS-DFW-MIA
Am I even eligible?

Its American co-share ticket on BA Metal for LHR-ZHR.

I arrive at 09:30 and connect to BA metal flight at 2:45. It is showing an AA flight number though. There is a 12:15 (I didn't know that until recently) and wish I could take that instead.

I am One World Emerald and will be arriving from the U.S. in business but only have a coach seat on BA. If I have no checked bag, will British allow me to get on that earlier flight if there are seats. If so should I ask at the BA lounge or Admirals Club or at a connection desk.

So if I read all the restrictions, am I not eligible because this is considered an open jaw, not considered a short haul b/c I'm arriving from the U.S.?

I've seen airlines bend the rules with these nuances and I'm just wondering if I should even try.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
British Airways (never just British) will let you on the earlier flight once you pay the approprite change and other fees as per your ticket rules.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:23 pm

It doesn't hurt to ask but in my experience they will make you pay if you want to go earlier.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
the open jaw is irrelevant to be honest. The only same day changes allowed by ba without fees are fully flex tickets on any route (same bucket must be available) or nonstop short haul flex fares one way or return in economy (availability in any economy bucket). In your case, the fare rules will therefore be implemented.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 5:04 am
Original Poster

oh, okay. I was under the impression British Airways has a same day standby policy that I may have been able to request 24 hours out.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 5:05 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by trekker954
oh, okay. I was under the impression British Airways has a same day standby policy that I may have been able to request 24 hours out.
Nope. Where did you get that impression?
Old Jul 20, 2017, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Nope. Where did you get that impression?
I suspect trekker954 is referring to the same day change on plus fares.

But - of course - that really depends on the fare rules and as an AA ticket it depends on the fare rules applied to that fare.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Okay, now I see it applies to plus fare customers, which I am likely not. Oh well. Too bad they can't help.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.