Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Credit card fees to be scrapped. Impact on BA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2017, 4:24 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold

BBC is reporting that UK credit card fees are to be scrapped from January. Wonder what, if any, impact will be on BA?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40648641

Consumers are no longer to be charged extra for paying by debit or credit card, the government has said.

From January next year, businesses will not be allowed to add any surcharges for card payments.

The worst offenders currently are airlines and food delivery apps, and small businesses which typically add a fee for cards.

In 2010 alone consumers spent £473m on such charges, according to estimates by the Treasury.

It follows a directive from the European Union, which bans surcharges on Visa and Mastercard payments.

However the government has gone further than the directive, by also banning charges on American Express and Paypal too.

Campaigners welcomed the move, saying it was great news for consumers.Take-aways

At the moment those booking airline tickets with credit cards pay an extra 3% with Flybe, with a minimum payment of £5.

Customers of Ryanair and Norwegian pay 2%.

However Flybe has already promised to get rid of the minimum payment, and cut its charges.

Ryanair said it would comply with any changes in the law.

Last edited by madfish; Jul 19, 2017 at 4:59 am
Old Jul 19, 2017, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by madfish
Wonder what, if any, impactvrhusceill gave on BA?
The impact will be cofveve.

(But not as bad as the May bank holiday meltdown!)
Old Jul 19, 2017, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I think the impact will be seen by the consumer on the credit card provider's offers and rewards

These could be quite significant
Old Jul 19, 2017, 4:35 am

I no longer have to 'live' in Germany
Old Jul 19, 2017, 4:37 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by madfish
BBC is reporting that UK credit card fees are to be scrapped from January. Wonder what, if any, impactvrhusceill gave on BA?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40648641

Consumers are no longer to be charged extra for paying by debit or credit card, the government has said.

From January next year, businesses will not be allowed to add any surcharges for card payments.

The worst offenders currently are airlines and food delivery apps, and small businesses which typically add a fee for cards.

In 2010 alone consumers spent £473m on such charges, according to estimates by the Treasury.

It follows a directive from the European Union, which bans surcharges on Visa and Mastercard payments.

However the government has gone further than the directive, by also banning charges on American Express and Paypal too.

Campaigners welcomed the move, saying it was great news for consumers.

Take-aways

At the moment those booking airline tickets with credit cards pay an extra 3% with Flybe, with a minimum payment of £5.

Customers of Ryanair and Norwegian pay 2%.

However Flybe has already promised to get rid of the minimum payment, and cut its charges.

Ryanair said it would comply with any changes in the law.
Excellent news. Long overdue.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 4:39 am

Programs: BA, LH
I'd thought the Government might have allowed retailers to recover direct costs to them for payment by card. But if no surcharges are allowed at all, I guess the biggest short-term impact will be a reduction in the number of retailers allowing payment by Amex.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 4:39 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Fares will inevitably increase to compensate.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Booking with BA [flight + hotel] a couple of weeks ago ...
"The price of your ticket includes a credit card surcharge of £ 40.00, a security and insurance surcharge and a carrier imposed charge per sector levied by the carrier. ..."

I understand that's the maximum BA charges for using a CC, but it was still bloody annoying. I have no doubt, as others have surmised, that BA will feed that back into something else obscure, opaque and unjustifiable
Old Jul 19, 2017, 4:47 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
I assume that BA prices will go up by 1%, which you can no longer save by using a debit card
Old Jul 19, 2017, 4:50 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
I think the impact will be seen by the consumer on the credit card provider's offers and rewards

These could be quite significant
No. It will have no impact on that whatever.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 4:52 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
I have no doubt, as others have surmised, that BA will feed that back into something else obscure, opaque and unjustifiable
That's the thing - the current setup is wholly opaque with the costs to businesses of processing credit card transactions not really being in the public domain, so consumers have no way of knowing if what they pay in surcharges is inline with this or if extra profit is just being added on top.

However the notion that this will be absorbed by businesses is pure pie in the sky and the costs will still be passed on in the headline fare in this case paid by consumers.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 4:54 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by cammyloon
I guess the biggest short-term impact will be a reduction in the number of retailers allowing payment by Amex.
This is what I'm worried about - BA (and everyone else) could just stop accepting credit cards at all. Not sure the EU has thought this through...
Old Jul 19, 2017, 4:57 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by V10
However the notion that this will be absorbed by businesses is pure pie in the sky and the costs will still be passed on in the headline fare in this case paid by consumers.
But that's fine, because then you're in a position to compare different businesses/airlines etc by the flat cost of what they're providing. That's the whole reason for preventing companies from levying these fees.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 4:58 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by T8191
... . I have no doubt, as others have surmised, that BA will feed that back into something else obscure, opaque and unjustifiable
As will many other businesses who have been making a charge for the use of credit cards.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 4:59 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by irishguy28
The impact will be cofveve.

(But not as bad as the May bank holiday meltdown!)
Fat fingers! Now corrected 😀

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.