Wiki Posts
Search

Priority boarding question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2017, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Priority boarding question

Wishing to avoid a DYKWIA moment can anyone let me know the etiquette for priority boarding please....

We have 7 passengers on two bookings all in short haul ET exit row seats. One BAEC gold and one silver in the party. Of course we have hand luggage which we would like to be stowed above our seats given exit rows.

Is there a limit to the number of people priority boarding with me or will they just allow everyone through with me?
Old Jul 18, 2017, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Guests aren't allowed at Priority Boarding; it's variably enforced or not depending on the gate agents. One guest per cardholder is unlikely to be challenged, more is not on IMO.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 12:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
I would ask how you would feel if someone tried to guest five people in front of you, when you were fully entitled to priority boarding through cabin or status.

I would describe it as unreasonable and an abuse of the system.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 12:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, FB Gold
When I travel with family (four of us and me only GCH) in Y, I take one of the boys with me through priority boarding, with max possible hand luggage and my wife joins later with the other. I think this is the only reasonable approach.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 1:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Plat, Amex Plat.
Since you are boarding a plane and not lining up for tea with the Queen, ignore any criticism of abuse or unreasonableness. Add a BA gate agent who is simply focused on getting everyone board, I don't think you'll have any trouble given there are status folks in your group.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 1:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Platinum
Take a cabin allowed suitcase on wheels and voila, priority boarding ahead of Golds/CE and an extra piece of checked beyond your existing allowance!!
Old Jul 18, 2017, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by avon75
Take a cabin allowed suitcase on wheels and voila, priority boarding ahead of Golds/CE and an extra piece of checked beyond your existing allowance!!
... LOL however our existing allowance is 14 bags each up to 32Kg...
Old Jul 18, 2017, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for the opinions. It's interesting that there is quite a significant divergence in opinion.

I could ask in what way is it different from the scenes often seen of one passenger validly needing assistance with their entire able-bodied extended family then pre-boarding with them ?

I think what I will do is ask the gate agent before boarding starts.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 2:45 pm

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
I take the other half through with me but I think 5 is a bit steep.

It's similar to me when I see a family of five or so going on priority because the pre is one child.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 2:48 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by RockyRobin
I take the other half through with me but I think 5 is a bit steep.

It's similar to me when I see a family of five or so going on priority because the pre is one child.
I agree, but then again I see so many using assistance/accompanying the assistee that it really gets ridiculous...
Old Jul 18, 2017, 3:57 pm

Programs: AC 35K
I personally wouldn't feel comfortable taking more than 1 guest through.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 4:47 pm

I still believe BA is a family freindly airline and IMHO all members of the party shoud get the perk just like with check-in and all members of the group getting the priv of extra baggage and seat selection when silver or above. Why would I expect not to have all the booking party also get priority boarding ?
Old Jul 18, 2017, 5:03 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TPloser
I still believe BA is a family freindly airline and IMHO all members of the party shoud get the perk just like with check-in and all members of the group getting the priv of extra baggage and seat selection when silver or above. Why would I expect not to have all the booking party also get priority boarding ?
As noted above, there is no such benefit as guesting anyone for priority boarding. It is possible you may get away with one or maybe two, but there are places such as GVA where no guesting for boarding is enforced.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 5:08 pm

In my opinion, this is pushing the boundaries of reasonableness.

As noted by KARFA above, GVA are ruthless with this as are other stations. Some stations do not make much effort to enforce the rules.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 5:21 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Please see this thread

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ast-track.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.