Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LBA morning rotation dropped from Feb '18?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2018, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Palmer

Very true for me. I’ll be sorry to see this route go but I, for one, will be back on the train come April.

Palmer
I can't see anyone using it for point to point journeys any more and for connections only if you're extremely lucky and the times fit.
What happens if you've bought a flight pass? You might find it useless with the new schedule, is it refundable?
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
I will inevitably have to consider going with KLM via AMS for my long-haul trips from LBA.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 5:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
LBA-LHR frequency being halves

Saw it on Head for Points, but they in turn quote the Yorkshire Post. Going from 20 to 10 flights per week.
https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news...ghts-1-8946541
Old Jan 27, 2018, 6:03 am

It is an odd rotation at the moment- 2 flights a day but every 3rd day there are 3 flights- so the number each week vary. So last Sunday- 3 flights, this Sunday 2 flights.

It means that I won't retain my BA gold.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 6:31 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
British Airways to halve Leeds Bradford services

British Airways is halving the number of flights to Leeds Bradford Airport from 20 per week to just 10 from the end of February.

The airline has said that this is down to “matching flights to demand”. It does make a bit of a mockery of Heathrow’s promises to increase the number of domestic flights to the airport, although this is more of a political game as the third runway will never get built if it cannot be sold as a project to benefit the whole of the UK.

The route attracted 165,000 passengers in 2016 and was up 1.6% for the first 11 months of 2017. This implies around 80 passengers per flight although, of course, yield is more important than volume.

Leeds Bradford to Heathrow had historically been a successful bmi British Midland route until rail improvements led to the service being axed in 2009. British Airways revived it in 2012. With only flight per day for four days of the week, it is difficult to see it surviving much longer.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 6:52 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Barnaby100
It is an odd rotation at the moment- 2 flights a day but every 3rd day there are 3 flights- so the number each week vary. So last Sunday- 3 flights, this Sunday 2 flights.

It means that I won't retain my BA gold.
There were some reductions added in for Q1 2018 well before the more recent news of reductions from
April 2018 to 10 rotations. Winter does tend to see some reductions on the route.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 6:55 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Good to see this dropped to lower levels to allow expansion at INV and potential to open BA ops at NQY.
Calum likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket
The airline has said that this is down to “matching flights to demand”. It does make a bit of a mockery of Heathrow’s promises to increase the number of domestic flights to the airport, although this is more of a political game as the third runway will never get built if it cannot be sold as a project to benefit the whole of the UK.
Unless HAL is intending to start flying aircraft I'm struggling to see how they can make that commitment. Surely its up to the airline which routes they operate.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 7:08 am

Programs: BAEC
I hope this doesn’t affect KARFA too much
Old Jan 27, 2018, 7:22 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
I hope this doesn’t affect KARFA too much
He might have to take the train more often helping the struggling East Midlands Trains! In all seriousness, this opens a possibility for JER-LHR?
Old Jan 27, 2018, 7:27 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
He might have to take the train more often helping the struggling East Midlands Trains! In all seriousness, this opens a possibility for JER-LHR?
​​​​​​​That would be great
Old Jan 27, 2018, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by nufnuf77
Given the fastest East Midlands train from Leeds is about 3h30, I think he's more likely to be helping the equally struggling, but already bailed out, Virgin East Coast...
Old Jan 27, 2018, 7:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I was looking at Sheffield-St. Pancras the other day and £90+ for a standard class return. Sure they might have £12.50 or so tickets on occasion, but flying works out cheaper a lot of the time especially if you live nearer to Leeds and LHR is where you want to go.

LBA-LHR-JER would have been nice. It's around 30 mins less driving for me to Leeds than Manchester and parking is usually half the price.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Surely one rotation a day makes it almost useless as a European business route, let alone going to London? Personally I would be wanting a morning and evening flight each way to suit 1, 1.5 and 2 day trips.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 7:53 am

There’s more threads on this than there are flights!

Palmer
NickB, 710 77345, Kgmm77 and 7 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.