Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LBA morning rotation dropped from Feb '18?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
What I don’t understand is why Manchester needs nine flights a day to Heathrow and leeds will have to make do with just one going forward? How does that make sense?

I also think the timings are self-sabotaging!

The 11am departure means you can’t realistically get anything earlier to connect than 2pm out of Heathrow.

You would think the best idea would have been to make the flight as early as possible to make a full day of it in London and to ensure that you could connect with a whole host of other flights.

Biazrre thinking.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket
What I don’t understand is why Manchester needs nine flights a day to Heathrow and leeds will have to make do with just one going forward? How does that make sense?

The 11am departure means you can’t realistically get anything earlier to connect than 2pm out of Heathrow.

You would think the best idea would have been to make the flight as early as possible to make a full day of it in London and to ensure that you could connect with a whole host of other flights.

Biazrre thinking.
We can't know BA's thinking, but they will perhaps be considering many elements including load factors and scarcity of slots in the am peak time and how to most profitably use them.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
And a very early flight would require a nightstop, or would depart LHR too early to get any meaningful inbound transfer traffic.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 8:28 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BA6501
And a very early flight would require a nightstop, or would depart LHR too early to get any meaningful inbound transfer traffic.
The current first southbound arrives at LHR around 1030, it is not a nighstopper and departs T5 around 0735. The new timetable has the first southbound arriving at T5 at 1230, so now 2 hours later.

Johnny Rocket is correct in that the new timetable now means a much reduced opportunity for connections heading out of LHR on the same day. Never mind very early flight, it would have at least been nice to maintain the current 1030 LHR arrival.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
The current first southbound arrives at LHR around 1030, it is not a nighstopper and departs T5 around 0735. The new timetable has the first southbound arriving at T5 at 1230, so now 2 hours later.

Johnny Rocket is correct in that the new timetable now means a much reduced opportunity for connections heading out of LHR on the same day. Never mind very early flight, it would have at least been nice to maintain the current 1030 LHR arrival.

I know- just done another 4 sofitel overnight bookings today- ouch
Old Jan 28, 2018, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by Barnaby100
I know- just done another 4 sofitel overnight bookings today- ouch
I still have all my changes notifications printed at home in a pile to deal with. I haven't got around to going through all my affected bookings and sorting them out yet, there are quite a few.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 9:01 am

I still have all my changes notifications printed at home in a pile to deal with. I haven't got around to going through all my affected bookings and sorting them out yet, there are quite a few.
I am working through them each weekend. I have left a few as a bit stumped as to the best option.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 9:23 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
I am working through them each weekend. I have left a few as a bit stumped as to the best option.
If the rescheduling necessitates an overnight stop at LHR I'd be looking to BA for reimbursement.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
If the rescheduling necessitates an overnight stop at LHR I'd be looking to BA for reimbursement.
They have been accommodating so far on the avoids bookings- I ended up with pretty much a choice of 1st seating across the routes- when the original choice had been restricted and so didnt want to push it. I am now onto the paid options which is why I am hesitating a bit.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 9:29 am

quick question. I am waiting for my gold to show- probably tomorrow. Does it make any difference if I rebook as gold or silver?
Old Jan 28, 2018, 11:43 am

quick question. I am waiting for my gold to show- probably tomorrow. Does it make any difference if I rebook as gold or silver?
well it was a pleasure to meet you this evening, if only briefly. If I had known you were flying I could have upgraded your experience at T5. Hopefully see you again sometime.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 12:05 pm

well it was a pleasure to meet you this evening, if only briefly. If I had known you were flying I could have upgraded your experience at T5. Hopefully see you again sometime.
You too. I hope that you got home promptly
Old Jan 28, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold

Well it has sabotaged 18 sectors to/from LBA for me this year. I have had to move the domestic sectors to/from MAN. As I can get to London by train just as quickly as I can to MAN, I am not sure whether domestic connections are viable any more for me. There is always the possibility to using KLM via AMS for my LH connections, either way BA will lose out, not that my business is going to show up on their radar. I would prefer to use BA, but sometimes they make it hard for you to use them.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 1:20 pm
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond

Biazrre thinking.
Why is this "bizarre thinking"? It's all about supply & demand.

This route has clearly been underperforming for some time compared to other domestic routes. I don't have visibility to the commercials here, but you just need to look at the prices being charged. For instance, late Friday afternoon next week the following prices are being charged for flights that leave within 10 minutes of each other (all prices part of a return price quote):

LHR - LBA = £79
LHR - MAN = £290
LHR - NCL = £269

For the last few years I have seen the same general pattern with LBA. Whenever I have found NCL fares to be too high, I can almost always get a huge discount by flying into LBA, even when booking very late. It's also not just that the prices tend to be much lower than other routes, but whenever I have flown this route the loads are clearly weak too (even on Fridays, which tend to see many other domestic routes rammed).

I'm guessing that BA will just be keeping the remaining flights going while they work out what is best to do with the slots/aircraft. They are killing it off gently! I'll be very surprised if this route is still going next year.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by T8191
So ... what happened ro the Northern Powerhouse?
Nothing Watford Gap is still there...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.