Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Well done, BA. Well done.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2017, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Well done, BA. Well done.

We left on 17 June for a month-long trip of a lifetime to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. Our first First was an enjoyable hop from IAD to LHR on the A380. The crew was helpful and friendly. The most memorable moment for me was the when I asked for a glass of 15 year old Drambuie to go with my desert and they apologetically informed me they no longer were carrying it. The "consolation" prize, a pour of Johnny Walker Blue, was large enough to knock out a horse!

But it was our return trip from Heathrow on Sunday that will be the "remember when" story we share on the porch of the old folk's home 20 years hence. It started out very well with a speedy check-in and an early trip to the Concorde Room Dining for a delicious breakfast. This was followed by a lounge visit that included numerous samplings from the cocktail menu and a “hey is that?” moment when we saw Wolf Blitzer, all while being catered to by a solicitous staff, including a very kind manager who offered to take some pictures of us in our first (and probably only) trip to the CCR.

Our trip home was on the Grey Lady, a Boeing 744, and we were in 2A and K (in front of my buddy Wolf ;-)). The CSD (perhaps because we were delayed at the gate?) made the rounds to each seat in first and introduced himself. When I mentioned in passing that we were celebrating our 25th, he told me he'd be sure to mention it to our flight attendants, who were quick to come over and congratulate us, and the champagne really started to flow then! The nicest moment for me was mid-flight when a gentleman squatted down next to me and mentioned that he had heard that congratulations were in order. My wife didn’t quite understand who he was, but I did immediately, as I had noticed the 4 bars on his shoulder. I was very touched by the gesture. The final kindness, courtesy of the absolutely lovely flight attendant who doted on me the entire flight, was just before landing when she presented us with a bottle of the Bolney Estate Vintage and a card signed by the Captain and First Class crew. As this was only our second (and most likely final) experience in First Class, I genuinely don’t know how commonplace this kind of treatment at the front of the plane is, and frankly, I don’t really care. What I do know is that a few people, through some simple kindnesses, made me and my wife feel like a million bucks. I have submitted a compliment through the normal channels on the BA website, but on the off chance that any of the crew of BA293 from London to Washington on the 16th of July read this, I just wanted to say:

Well done, Ladies and Gentlemen, well done. And thank you.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 11:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, FB Gold
Congratulations, indeed and glad to hear you enjoyed this flight. IAD-LHR-IAD used to be my regular route for many years (though continuing down to Africa).

While everything else seems to fall apart at BA, the staff is still the one great asset they have. Only can only hope that some of these great people stay on, in spite of all the .... they have to endure!
Old Jul 18, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: BA Silver
That is just wonderful. ^
Old Jul 18, 2017, 11:44 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Wonderful. A pleasure to read - my belated congratulations to you both. It's my thirtieth this September.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 12:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Your Wolf sighting was far more glamorous than mine. He sat behind me on an Amtrak regional train slowly crawling to New York during the middle of a blizzard about eight winters ago. There was so much ice and snow that the crew had to struggle to open a single door at each station. Our 90 minute journey took 3+ hours. He and his wife had been on since Washington for some unimaginable length of time. Nice guy.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 12:39 pm

Amazing good news story about F. Congratulations on your 25th, it is ours in November.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 12:44 pm
Suspended

Congratulations on your silver anniversary.

Alex has now added this to the list of more things to cut, keep your fingers crossed he gets the job at easyJet now Carolyn is going to ITV.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 12:46 pm

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, GFL
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Wonderful. A pleasure to read - my belated congratulations to you both. It's my thirtieth this September.
You're surely not a day over 25?
Old Jul 18, 2017, 12:46 pm
GLA

Programs: BA VS
Great story! Congrats!
Old Jul 18, 2017, 1:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by AdBoy
You're surely not a day over 25?
My thoughts exactly.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by murph821
We left on 17 June for a month-long trip of a lifetime....we saw Wolf Blitzer.....As this was only our second (and most likely final) experience in First Class?...
You'll have lots more trips of a lifetime. Who is Wolf Blitzer, sounds dangerous to me. Many more Fs to come your way if you stick around the forum.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Very wonderful to read! Though I feel that if the crew wanted to perform a nice gesture they should have given you a bottle of LPGS, not the Bolney! Unless you had expressed a preference for Bolney.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 1:43 pm
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
Congrats on 25 and glad you had a great flight.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 1:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Gfl, GGL
What a wonderful experience. It's instances like this that make me keep the faith in BA.

If it wasn't for their great crew (in most instances!), I would have switched carriers a long time ago and I often tell them that in the feedback forms.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
I'm so glad that you were able to experience BA at its best and - congratulations. Thank you also for giving us hope for the future!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.