Wiki Posts
Search

AA [award] space on BA website

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2018, 9:28 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by wlp07
I was looking to book a one way nonstop from DFW to Florida. AA.com showed sAAver space in coach, while BA.com showed no availability, period. I called the BA US Executive Club line and was about as lucky as one could get: I received a friendly representative without any wait and she was knowledgeable enough to work around the issue, resulting in me successfully booking the trip. Here's how it went down:

I first treated the call as a regular booking attempt, without first mentioning that I'd already tried to book on BA.com. I wanted to see if the phone rep might be able to see the space right away. That didn't pan out, as the agent couldn't see any space. I then told her that AA was showing low level award availability on this flight, and that the space should therefore be bookable by any OneWorld partner, including BA, so there must be a technical issue. She agreed, and I asked her to speak with the OneWorld desk about the issue (thanks to the above comment by @Pilot37). She put me on a brief hold, then said she could now see the space. Here's where it gets interesting: she saw not only the flight that I wanted, which was the sole nonstop displayed as available on AA.com, but also another earlier nonstop on the same date which was NOT displayed as available on AA.com. Could this mean that it may be best to call BA even if AA.com isn't showing any availability?

After making the booking, the agent attempted to charge me the phone booking fee, which she promptly waived after I objected that the only reason I called is because the technical issue with BA's site made it impossible for me to book online. After all was said and done, I thanked her, complimented her on her knowledge and willingness to work around the issue, and asked her if she could tell me anything that could help me guide a lesser informed phone rep to the techniques that she employed. She only said that she had to change her screen view from "redemption" to "available." She was not keen to elaborate beyond that, but did state that it did not require supervisory authority to do this when I asked. I'm thinking this explains how she came back with another flight which was not available on AA.com. The other flight was available for sale, but not for redemption, and had we tried to "manually" book the award on that flight as opposed to the one showing as available on AA.com, I doubt it would have worked out.
Very useful information, thanks for sharing.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by wlp07
I was looking to book a one way nonstop from DFW to Florida. AA.com showed sAAver space in coach, while BA.com showed no availability, period. I called the BA US Executive Club line and was about as lucky as one could get: I received a friendly representative without any wait and she was knowledgeable enough to work around the issue, resulting in me successfully booking the trip. Here's how it went down:

I first treated the call as a regular booking attempt, without first mentioning that I'd already tried to book on BA.com. I wanted to see if the phone rep might be able to see the space right away. That didn't pan out, as the agent couldn't see any space. I then told her that AA was showing low level award availability on this flight, and that the space should therefore be bookable by any OneWorld partner, including BA, so there must be a technical issue. She agreed, and I asked her to speak with the OneWorld desk about the issue (thanks to the above comment by @Pilot37). She put me on a brief hold, then said she could now see the space. Here's where it gets interesting: she saw not only the flight that I wanted, which was the sole nonstop displayed as available on AA.com, but also another earlier nonstop on the same date which was NOT displayed as available on AA.com. Could this mean that it may be best to call BA even if AA.com isn't showing any availability?

After making the booking, the agent attempted to charge me the phone booking fee, which she promptly waived after I objected that the only reason I called is because the technical issue with BA's site made it impossible for me to book online. After all was said and done, I thanked her, complimented her on her knowledge and willingness to work around the issue, and asked her if she could tell me anything that could help me guide a lesser informed phone rep to the techniques that she employed. She only said that she had to change her screen view from "redemption" to "available." She was not keen to elaborate beyond that, but did state that it did not require supervisory authority to do this when I asked. I'm thinking this explains how she came back with another flight which was not available on AA.com. The other flight was available for sale, but not for redemption, and had we tried to "manually" book the award on that flight as opposed to the one showing as available on AA.com, I doubt it would have worked out.
Very useful information, thanks for sharing.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 10:09 am

Interestingly, just tried a dummy booking for a domestic MAD to BCN routing and onbusiness displayed availability as normal, so must be an AA issue.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 2:09 am

Went into my account at 2am this morning and system was up and running with award availability displayed as normal. Flights booked and seats selected!
Old Apr 12, 2018, 8:54 am

Programs: AA EXP MM/UA MM/Marriott PLT Premier-LT PLT
I also saw availability at 2am yesterday but the issue is back now with 0. had I known it was an issue at the time I would have booked.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 9:07 am

It looks like it's out again. I am trying to book PHL-ORD on June 22 or June 23.
Old May 1, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, WN A-List
I found a work around, sort of. If you confirm that there is AA award space yet BA says no flights, you can try this:
  • Pull up your desired date and route on BA.
  • Click on an alternate date and before it fully loads, click on your desired date.
I was able to get flights to "pop" and successfully book. You may need to try a few times.
Old May 1, 2018, 3:24 pm

What worked for me is what they recommend on other threads: reloading several times.
Old May 6, 2018, 3:44 pm

AAsaver award not showing up on BA site?

I'm trying to book 2 PHX>SAN on 5/19 (aa flight 639). It shows up on aa.com for 7500 miles, but there's nothing available when I log into my avios account. What am I missing?
Old May 6, 2018, 3:51 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
I think this is a known issues. There are numerous threads on this issue so a little bit of scrolling through the pages on here will find a similar question and answers.

I suppose this is a downside to the popularity of the BA board that threads often disappear from the first page fairly quickly.

Here’s on every thread which has a number of replies.

AA [award] space on BA website

Last edited by madfish; May 6, 2018 at 3:56 pm
Old May 6, 2018, 4:49 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Avios availability for short haul on AA non-existent??

Trying to grab a couple of seats (economy or business) on JFK-YYZ in mid April 2019, nope nothing. In fact BA says no partner files that route (...?).
Old May 6, 2018, 5:05 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes
Trying to grab a couple of seats (economy or business) on JFK-YYZ in mid April 2019, nope nothing. In fact BA says no partner files that route (...?).
AA only releases seats 330 days in advance I believe, so you won’t get anything for mid-April (revenue or reward) for another 4-5weeks.

Pilot37
Old May 6, 2018, 5:19 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Originally Posted by Pilot37

AA only releases seats 330 days in advance I believe, so you won’t get anything for mid-April (revenue or reward) for another 4-5weeks.

Pilot37
Ah thanks!! That explains the page where Ba says no partner flies that route.
Old May 6, 2018, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by jperiod
I'm trying to book 2 PHX>SAN on 5/19 (aa flight 639). It shows up on aa.com for 7500 miles, but there's nothing available when I log into my avios account. What am I missing?
I was able to get the award to show up after clicking around on various days until it finally showed on my preferred date! Felt like I was playing a slot machine!
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:34 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
This issue has returned. After booking AA flights a couple of weeks ago on ba.com it is now showing zero availability in Y when AA is showing sAAver flights available. Business is showing up but not for all the options displayed on AA.com.

Really frustrating that this is so unreliable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.