Search

LHR T5 Arrival to HEX timescale

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2018, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
LHR T5 Arrival to HEX timescale

HI,

I've got a flight arriving at 10:10 into T5 (inbound from BOS), and need to catch a HEX train at 11:10. Is this doable, or asking for trouble? (I'd need to connect with another train out of Paddington). It seems stretching things too much to catch that train and I would be better off taking coach/taxi to Reading and picking up my train there. Or will I fly through the airport?

Last edited by LimitingFactor; Aug 21, 2018 at 3:48 pm
Old Apr 13, 2018, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Depends what sort of passport you have and if you have luggage to collect.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: BA Silver, VIPorter, VIA Preference: Privilège, Air Canada Aeroplan
If using electronic passport gates, with no hold luggage, it is very doable. Personally I would want to add in another hour, to be safe in case of delays.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
T5 in the morning for both arrivals and departures is just so unpredictable. As I do not like rushing around, and being held up by mere mortals, I always feel the need for a plan B.
20Rothmans likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Starbucks Gold,
Several times I have been able to do wheels down to home (2 tube stops from Paddington in under an hour), so you 'should' be ok but these have mostly been European flights landing in the evening into T5A with an ePassport and no luggage.

Assuming your flight lands on time at 1010, you could be on stand into B or C gates at 1020, in the passport queue at T5A at 1035, waiting for a bag at 1050 and on a train at 1110 so it is possible, but I would not chance it as there are too many variables to make it a good bet. I would look for a plan B.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 12:01 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I am HBO, I seem to get through the e-gates faster than anyone else, and know LHR T5 quite well.

My fastest T5C to HEX platform is 17 minutes* from doors open, that was from seat 7A on a 787, using a transit which came very quickly. This is the fastest it can be done in my opinion, and you can from that add on things like e-gates taking a few minutes, using the passageways, transit taking a more typical 5 minutes to arrive, standing on escalators, A380 door congestion, baggage return and so on. But add it all together and you should be well under an hour. What you can't predict so well is the aircraft arrival time. There are stats on particular flights so you can get some view on that too, though they tend to record delays rather than taking fully into account early arrivals.

* (and 11 seconds but you don't really believe I time this do you?)
williamn78 and rockflyertalk like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.