Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Routes from LCY (17/07/17)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2017, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
So is GRX gone for good or just in the winter schedule?
Old Jul 19, 2017, 4:48 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BA6501
So is GRX gone for good or just in the winter schedule?
From the BA trade support site:

ROUTE SUSPENSION:
Granada (GRX) - suspended during winter season, last rotation on 27th October. Resume for the Summer 2018 season with 3 flights a week from 25 March 2018
Old Jul 19, 2017, 4:53 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
But in order to get to WAW you would still need to arrange a DIY connection from PRG (e.g. LCY-PRG on BA and PRG-WAW on LO) and, considering the numerous options you have from BHX, you wouldn't really travel to London in order to travel LCY-PRG-WAW on separate tickets But then, we're on FlyerTalk

G
I'm well aware of that but just because WAW is a base doesn't necessarily mean I always want to fly there direct from the UK. Often I will go via other places and PRG is a very pleasant place to spend a day/night. For the same reason I don't always fly from BHX or come from Birmingham when I'm in the UK. That's just the most common option. I also like the idea of being able to fly into London if there's a good hotel deal for a weekend stay and leave via LCY.

TBH, I'd rather fly from Inverness than from Heathrow so I'll clutch at whatever straws come my way!
Old Jul 19, 2017, 6:31 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by fransknorge
I believe the reason BA flies to ORY is solely due to Openskies. It seems to me there are a fair amount of connection, at least on the services I was on.
(My bold)

Really?! Three flights a day from LHR solely to serve a niche TATL service? Unlikely. ORY is the better placed of the Paris airports for the business district of La Defense, which seems to me far more a reason why BA might plausibly have launched it - and why it's switching to LCY. Plus of course serving the south of the city itself.

That's not to say there wasn't a bit of connecting onto EC, but apart from the odd FTer or avgeek this is most likely to have been in disruption when people are rebooked.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hypercrypt
Is there really demand to fly (for example) EDI-LHR-ORY-JFK? And in that case you can now fly EDI-LCY-ORY-JFK, right?
I once flew ROC-ORD-DCA-JFK-ORY-LHR-LBA. Needless to say, my bags went missing.

Originally Posted by LordBuckethead
ORY is the better placed of the Paris airports for the business district of La Defense
ORY is the better placed of the Paris airports for Paris.

Old Jul 19, 2017, 6:43 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
From the BA trade support site:
Which makes sense as it is primarily a summer leisure destination.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 6:53 am

(My bold)

Really?! Three flights a day from LHR solely to serve a niche TATL service? Unlikely. ORY is the better placed of the Paris airports for the business district of La Defense, which seems to me far more a reason why BA might plausibly have launched it - and why it's switching to LCY. Plus of course serving the south of the city itself.

That's not to say there wasn't a bit of connecting onto EC, but apart from the odd FTer or avgeek this is most likely to have been in disruption when people are rebooked.
Exactly.

From the same reductive school of though that thinks BA serves DUB primarily for FTers to get cheap premium class holidays.

Its clearly seizing on WX's retrenchment into a white label/contract carrier leaving ORY now open from LCY.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 7:56 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
(My bold)

After digging it turns out I was not correct. I read that somewhere but it was misinformed.
OpenSkies was created in 2008.
LHR-ORY started in 1994, as BA bought the line from TAT when Air France released their shares and BA acquired a 49.9% shares. TAT had domestic flights to France and the BA/TAT link LHR-ORY allowed for connection to TAT/Air Inter flights.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...e-1373185.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TAT_European_Airlines
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...f-1439693.html
Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:24 am

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Orly was only reinstated back in 2010.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
LCY-ORY poses a dilemma for me and the rugby next year - CDG very handy for Stade de France, but LCY on my doorstep...
Old Jul 19, 2017, 1:14 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Since BA have removed my connecting flight from LBA on the day I need it, I have the option to come down the night before, and go out on LCY-PRG in CE.

I've never been to LCY before- is it worth it, apart from the novelty factor???
Old Jul 19, 2017, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Gastrocnemius
Since BA have removed my connecting flight from LBA on the day I need it, I have the option to come down the night before, and go out on LCY-PRG in CE.

I've never been to LCY before- is it worth it, apart from the novelty factor???
It depends. The selling point of LCY is the convenience so assuming you're still taking the flight LBA-LHR and not the train then it'd be more convenient to stay in your preferred Heathrow hotel and fly from there.

I tend to think LCY catering is better (I had a nice hot meal from EDI) but LCY has no lounge (for BA passengers, and even if you paid for a lounge it's landside) and as the plane is 2-2 throughout there's no middle seat to block.

As I live in London with LCY as being my closest airport both to home and office I'd not hesitate to use the LCY flight. I'd not consider it worth crossing over London for though. Your status means you bypass most of the Heathrow hassle and although T3 means you can't use the first wing I find the choices of lounge in T3 (CX in particular) make it good to fly from there.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 2:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
On the subject of LHR-ORY being used for transfers, I believe BA has a codeshare agreement in place on the route with Corsair. In which case, I presume it will be transferred to the LCY route. So, for example, DKR-ORY-LHR becomes DKR-ORY-LCY.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
BA codeshares with Corsair?! First I hear of this...
Old Jul 19, 2017, 3:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Any answer to the expected catering on LCY-ORY? Will it feature a proper hot dinner?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.