Wiki Posts
Search

New Safety Video

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by worldtrav
And BA also insist on the window shades being open for landing/take off, no matter how much the sun may be blazing directly in your face. Even the paranoid US carriers don't require this.
Maybe they are not as safety conscious, having flown many times with the three majors I am shocked at their lackadaisical attitude?

Tony_B, flygirl68, JAXBA and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Maybe they are not as safety conscious, having flown many times with the three majors I am shocked at their lackadaisical attitude?
That may be, but the "all window blinds must be open" thing on BA is pretty new.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is fairly new but safety never stands still and things change and improve through knowledge.
Tony_B, wrp96, Tobias-UK and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you

I don't think that is true, maybe the FAA doesn't think it is a safety issue. An example the other way, virtually every flight on a US carrier the seat belt sign is left on until reaching initial cruise, on BA its usually off around 12K feet. The slightest turbulence on the US majors results in the seat belt light coming on, less so on the international carriers. The one area where I think BA is correct with regards to safety is no bags under the seat in front in exit rows, the US majors allow this.

Hard to say who is right or wrong but I wouldn't say the US carriers are lackadaisical.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And how many customers were injured due to turbulence percentage wise on BA compared to customers on US airlines?
I don’t think the CAA is perfect by any means but I do find the US carries and therefore the FAA less passenger safety focussed.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:05 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Globaliser
That may be, but the "all window blinds must be open" thing on BA is pretty new.
It's on other airlines too now, easyJet (in some ways more of a safety stickler than BA), Ryanair, Vueling, Loganair, BMI and I think Iberia do it now too, to greater or lesser degree of emphasis.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:30 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Must be an EASA thing... in the safety training we had at Lufthansa they said its required so in the unlikely case of an evacuation you are no disoriented when you evacuate or fail to notice that it is not safe to exit the aircraft on that particular side.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

An example the other way, virtually every flight on a US carrier the seat belt sign is left on until reaching initial cruise, on BA its usually off around 12K feet. The slightest turbulence on the US majors results in the seat belt light coming on, less so on the international carriers.
That is not an example of better practice on US airlines; quite the opposite. On some flights I've been on, there hasn't even had to be any turbulence at all - the seat belt sign has been on for the entire flight. That just means that everyone ignores it; it's the classic case of crying wolf.

If the US airlines were to adopt the same approach as Qantas does to the seat belt sign (all cabin crew must stop service and take their own seats whenever the seat belt sign is on), we might find it being used more appropriately. But over-use is as poor and dangerous as underuse (which is the source of my personal disagreement with the Qantas approach, one that is not as far as I can tell mandated by the Australian regulator).
KARFA and ClosetoLHR like this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:03 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I don't think that is true, maybe the FAA doesn't think it is a safety issue. An example the other way, virtually every flight on a US carrier the seat belt sign is left on until reaching initial cruise, on BA its usually off around 12K feet. The slightest turbulence on the US majors results in the seat belt light coming on, less so on the international carriers. The one area where I think BA is correct with regards to safety is no bags under the seat in front in exit rows, the US majors allow this.

Hard to say who is right or wrong but I wouldn't say the US carriers are lackadaisical.
as noted by globaliser over use of seatbelt signs is a particularly stupid policy on us airlines, more related to avoiding lawsuits than safety.

It does not make anything safer, especially as most people start ignoring it 5 minutes in to the flight. If you cry wolf all the time how is a passenger to know when it is actually worth paying attention.
ClosetoLHR likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 3:09 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
What really winds me up about the current video is that the lady who's very interested in seat belts can't actually pronounce "seat belt" ... it's more like "sea bell”. I know that for native English speakers then that's probably OK, but for those for whom English isn't the first language, it's not great

Last edited by ThatT1Feeling; Feb 15, 2019 at 2:16 pm
Old Feb 25, 2019, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
I trust someone in BAs red braces department has had the foresight to shoot a backup “Four BAFTAs, actually....” segment, ready to be hastily edited into the video tomorrow morning ...
Needs more work than this, now.
EDIwanderer and SirToby like this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 4:05 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by KARFA

as noted by globaliser over use of seatbelt signs is a particularly stupid policy on us airlines, more related to avoiding lawsuits than safety.

It does not make anything safer, especially as most people start ignoring it 5 minutes in to the flight. If you cry wolf all the time how is a passenger to know when it is actually worth paying attention.
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.r...amp/2864289002

From the Reno Gazette Journal

”A Delta Air Lines flight en route from California to Washington State was forced to make an emergency landing in Reno on Wednesday after five passengers were injured due to severe turbulence”

This is a good example of poor practice I think. The FAA had warned airlines of dangerous conditions over the Sierra Nevada, and yet the airline felt it OK to have the beverage carts out with this result.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 7:24 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold, Marriott Platinum
On BA460 today and the safety video seems to have changed to a third comic relief version including a mixture clips from the original and second version. At the start it even had a Star Wars style ‘version 3’ introduction. Anyone else seen this change?
Old Sep 4, 2019, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by IslingtonFlyer
On BA460 today and the safety video seems to have changed to a third comic relief version including a mixture clips from the original and second version. At the start it even had a Star Wars style ‘version 3’ introduction. Anyone else seen this change?
Yeah it's like hybrid of Number 1 and 2.
At least Gandalf is back
Old Sep 4, 2019, 7:36 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Something to look forward to next week
IslingtonFlyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.