Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Safety Video

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2018, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by MarkFlies
What is the Thandie joke? He aspirates the 'th' when you're not supposed to? Don't get it.
I mis-remembered it from the original video - it's more down to how he's treating her and her reaction to him:

Fast forward to 1 minute 15 for the uncut section
Old Jun 1, 2018, 12:29 pm

Not another in the same vein? The more you see the last one the worse it gets. It's bordering on embarrassing.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
My ex-Military mind begs for a Sergeant Major approach, although it would not go down well with Joe Public.

“PAY ATTENTION ... or you will DIE! Now do up your bloody seatbelts (it’s not rocket science) and listen in .... etc .
Old Jun 1, 2018, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by T8191
“PAY ATTENTION ... or you will DIE! Now do up your bloody seatbelts (it’s not rocket science) and listen in .... etc .
Indeed! I'm in two minds about providing the detail of making a seat belt work... if they cannot do that, how did they make it onto the plane?

rb211.
T8191 likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 3:53 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by RB211
Indeed! I'm in two minds about providing the detail of making a seat belt work... if they cannot do that, how did they make it onto the plane?
There have been a number of unfortunate cases where some passengers have been caught out by the fact that aviation seatbelts are released in a very different way to car seatbelts. The reminder is to prevent people losing time in a smoke filled cabin trying to press a button by their side.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 1:01 am

This is appalling. You want people to give it their full attention yet the important safety messages are mixed up with drivel. I can imagine that many people whose first language is not English will be utterly confused by much of it (a wizard pipe?!)

I've always paid attention to safety videos no matter how familiar I am with everything, partly out of courtesy I suppose. I certainly won't be watching this any more. I'll just pay attention to the crew indicating exits and read the safety card.
MarkLHR, flygirl68 and LCSinTexas like this.

Last edited by bioblot; Jun 2, 2018 at 2:22 am
Old Jun 2, 2018, 1:55 am

Moving a little OT, but does anyone know what the first flight safety video was (as opposed to manual demonstration)? I've looked online, but have not found anything concrete. And what was BA's first safety video? Am I right in assuming this would have been in the 1980s?
Old Jun 2, 2018, 2:33 am

Programs: BA Gold
Well I still dislike the current video for two reasons. I'm unconvinced the safety messaging gets through and I think that the presenter's attitude to the women on the screen stinks.

Concentrating on the safety side I'd prefer to see any safety demo / video have to be approved and as part of that approval need to have conducted a study to prove that the relevant knowledge has been transferred to a representative group of passengers.

Quite an interesting article about the evolution of these videos on here: https://www.citylab.com/life/2017/12...videos/548858/
Old Jun 2, 2018, 3:05 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There have been a number of unfortunate cases where some passengers have been caught out by the fact that aviation seatbelts are released in a very different way to car seatbelts. The reminder is to prevent people losing time in a smoke filled cabin trying to press a button by their side.
Agree with this and do my own eyes shut ‘practice’ before take off (I also count the seat rows). Part of this comes from having firefighters in my family and having good safety practices drilled into me.
Its a pity that the last safety video has had such a limited ‘shelf life’ - after all the Bunny briefing was very long lived.
In my opinion it was a novelty video and like all novelty items has a short lived appeal.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 3:25 am

Originally Posted by bioblot
This is appalling. You want people to give it their full attention yet the important safety messages are mixed up with drivel. I can imagine that many people whose first language is not English will be utterly confused by much of it (a wizard pipe?!)

I've always paid attention to safety videos no matter how familiar I am with everything, partly out of courtesy I suppose. I certainly won't be watching this any more. I'll just pay attention to the crew indicating exits and read the safety card.
When it's subtitled into other languages, the wizard pipe reference is ignored, as are some of the other non-necessary "jokes".
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by MarkFlies
Presumably all the celebs lined up 'for charity'.
The ‘charity’ link is the only way to get slebs to turn up without demanding large fees. Well, the free flights they were given as a ‘thank you’ probably helped too.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I'm aware of that - that's why I said I'm in two minds about it... but if the message were that important (and it is) it wouldn't be mixed with comedy and flying start! And one statement of how to do it; if you don't already know, probably isn't going to help in an emergency situation! If there's a chance it might, it should be repeated, and shouldn't be diluted.

rb211.
T8191 and LCSinTexas like this.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 12:10 pm

Philip Hammond (UK Chancellor of the Exchequer) had the pleasure of flying in the same cabin as me this past week. The crew were all smiles and, well... very helpful. However, during the safety video it was obvious those smiles were a little forced. Good info from the flight deck though.

rb211.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 1:10 pm

Programs: OWS, *A G
Originally Posted by MPH1980
But then I really think it hurts more the more you travel. I sat next to someone a few weeks back who snorted/laughed her entire way through the video. Pretty sure it was her first time viewing.
I keep snorting/laughing when Chabuddy chuckles "acTION!"

Last edited by zat_dude; Jun 2, 2018 at 1:14 pm Reason: emoji
Old Jun 4, 2018, 4:15 am

I just don't get the comedy. If it's to get people engaged where fear of death won't do it, then I hope in a real evacuation the cabin crew have a suitably rehearsed comedy routine for use while telling everyone to brace and to jump down the slides.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.