Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Safety Video

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2017, 2:04 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Concerto
Isn't that John Hurt who delivers the smoking and wizards' pipe warnings? Didn't he die recently? He was the voice of the dragon in the TV series Merlin.
I was on a service to Greece yesterday and there was a Greek couple behind me. They certainly watched it attentively, the wife hissed to her husband "who is that?" and he replied "John Hurt, we saw him in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy", "no, no, it can't be him, he's dead!". They laughed at the Rowan Atkinson bit (which in my experience works from Tirana to Shanghai). I assume that still on most of my flights it's new for almost all passengers, the bit that usually gets a laugh is the "less of the soured face" comment. In terms of waking up occasional travellers, it's probably doing a better job than the previous version.

Having said that, I would probably prefer it if Sir Ian Mckellen and Warwick Davis just did the whole thing.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 2:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Had it on a few flights now and I have to say each and everyone, I have noticed how those around me (or those I can see, when I sit on the aisle seat) are engaged in watching it. Have heard quite a few muffled chortles at some of the bad jokes.

Most people become engaged (or look up and go 'isn't that ...') when Gordon Ramsay starts speaking. Think his voice is the most distinctive.

I think all the naysayers on here, have missed the mood of the wider, less frequent, travelling public.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 2:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by jmd
This now seems to be the new service standard (JER-LGW is invariably on the old BD A319s without video screens, so we always get the manual demo). It means that there are now helpful references in the script to stowing footstools and video screens, and to pulling coloured streamers for oxygen masks in some areas, for an aircraft which doesn’t have them. The cabin crew seem baffled, and the more senior ones look embarrassed. Is this another brilliant Waterworld initiative from some mini-Cruz who has never been near an aircraft?
Manual demos will soon become the norm on short haul as the new NEO aircraft are being delivered without any drop down video screens.

The manual demo in its new form I believe is being revised as it has been accepted that it is badly written and doesn't flow well at all.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 3:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Originally Posted by Down Low
Manual demos will soon become the norm on short haul as the new NEO aircraft are being delivered without any drop down video screens.

The manual demo in its new form I believe is being revised as it has been accepted that it is badly written and doesn't flow well at all.
Does this mean than the cabin crew will be trying their best Gillian Anderson impressions?
Old Sep 28, 2017, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by jmd
This now seems to be the new service standard (JER-LGW is invariably on the old BD A319s without video screens, so we always get the manual demo). It means that there are now helpful references in the script to stowing footstools and video screens, and to pulling coloured streamers for oxygen masks in some areas, for an aircraft which doesn’t have them. The cabin crew seem baffled, and the more senior ones look embarrassed. Is this another brilliant Waterworld initiative from some mini-Cruz who has never been near an aircraft?
Having just done a Band 4 and a Band 1 (A320 and A319) those anomalies were glaring! Including the 'tacked on' ".... and e-cigarettes"

It still didn't excuse the CSD on one earlier sector, doing the manual demo about 2-5 seconds ahead of the spoken words. That was VERY confusing!
Old Sep 28, 2017, 8:15 am

deleted

Last edited by markle; May 25, 2023 at 7:09 am
Old Sep 28, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Skywards Silver
Saw it for the first time this week and rather enjoyed it, interestingly my wife who normally ignores safety briefings watched it all the way through, so it must do the job for some. Will see if it grates when we watch it for the nth time.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by markle
Don't underestimate the clout of Comic Relief. It's a big annual TV 'event', and I wouldn't be surprised if because of the Flying Start / Comic Relief fundraising connection the cast were either low-cost or pro-bono.
There was no cost but BA gave them a free ticket as thanks, so go figure!
Old Sep 28, 2017, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
That's nice. A lot of artists give their services for free for charity events or productions.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Concerto
That's nice. A lot of artists give their services for free for charity events or productions.

I know many pages ago I said I had some concerns / wasn't a fan of the new video based on the online version.

I think the inflight version is much better and as the ultimate arbiter I flew with Mrs Tinkicker (not a frequent BA user) the other week and she thought it was effective and people seemed engaged.

So in short: I withdraw my earlier concerns and would like to order the humble pie with cream please.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:52 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Not a fan after four flights in a week.

Too long and I think the (weak) attempt at humour detracts from the serious message.

Preferred the imaginative AA one that I saw during the Summer.
passy777 likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 2:49 pm

After 6 BA flights in the last week, I find that the video does it's job at engaging. The CSD on one of my flights made an announcement after the video that there has been a big increase to flying start donations.

A few of my flights had a manual demo.

I found a few things that I find a bit out of sorts:

The video says to stow individual video screen in the middle, which I assume is fine to do because the rest is non safety.

An 319 does not have rear facing seats so really should be taken out of the manual demo script. One CSM did and one did not.

I think subtitles in the relevant language would be good.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 3:31 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
One video for use across the whole fleet must be cheaper than aircraft specific.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 4:02 pm

After watching this video a couple of times I was relieved that our flight on Friday on A380 resorted to a manual demo.
The AA video mentioned up thread is very good, it is short, gets the key messages across and is imaginative.
florens likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 1:10 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
One video for use across the whole fleet must be cheaper than aircraft specific.
It still isn't very professional to mention power plugs and video screens on shorthaul aircraft. It can't be that expensive to cut out those parts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.